The New News Thread.

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: The New News Thread.

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:29 pm

Elessar wrote:
... But the term ‘feminazi’ is so obviously inappropriate that I’m amazed we’re still discussing this over a year on: This isn’t a body building forum, it’s a forum for a band with a long LGBT history.

Why on earth would you even suggest that the term 'feminazi' is more suited to a body building forum? I cannot quite understand why body builders would be viewed in such a manner by you. Talk about generalising. Again.

And just because the lead singer of Queen was gay it doesn't mean some of us cannot openly criticise particular extremists. And the LGBT community know more about extremists - and their narrow-minded attitudes - than the rest of us.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:32 pm

The__KingOfRhye wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:It does definitely seem to be a leftie thing though; this being offended on the behalf of every other soul in the world who may take offence. The rest of us can simply dismiss them as words but still care about our fellow brothers and sisters in the same way (without being offended on their behalf too).

It's just a different way of looking at things, I guess.

Just saying, if you don't want to offend somebody, "Nazi" should be #1 or close to it on the list of things not to call them. But if you don't care who you might be offending, I suppose it's kind of useless for me to say that.

And anyway, I'm from America...we don't take OFFENCE, we take OFFENSE! :lol:

I do get what you are saying - and I respect your views (you seem like a sensible, down to earth, open-minded chap); I just disagree with your views on what is offensive. The word 'feminazi' does not offend me in the slightest (nor does it many others), so how does one gauge what one can say or not say? That is my question. So you find the word offensive and I do not: which one of us has more right to be...well...right? It is a matter of taste.

And do not start me on your American words! Grrrr.... :P

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:39 pm

Elessar wrote:
Yes - having the default position of "I'm a good person so if I offend anyone they must be a leftie snowflake" leaves very little room for introspection and personal growth.

Nah. Absolute utter bullshit.

I stated that what is offensive to some is not to others - and what right do you, I or anyone else have to decide what is right and what is wrong? We simply do not. See, you have corrupted my username by adding 3 Ks: I totally disagree that another poster should be allowed to do that on this website, as it can give an unfair and totally inaccurate picture of an individual (and where does that sort of juvenile behaviour end?); but I allow you to do so because I do not take offence at such things (as an adult I can cope with such inane trivialities).

If we take your stance then we will only be free to use words which do not offend someone somewhere. Good luck with that.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Elessar » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:44 pm

musikkkalprostitute wrote:
Elessar wrote:
... But the term ‘feminazi’ is so obviously inappropriate that I’m amazed we’re still discussing this over a year on: This isn’t a body building forum, it’s a forum for a band with a long LGBT history.

Why on earth would you even suggest that the term 'feminazi' is more suited to a body building forum? I cannot quite understand why body builders would be viewed in such a manner by you. Talk about generalising. Again.

Because there’s evidence.

You probably won’t like the evidence, but that’s your burden to carry through life, not mine.

http://amp.livescience.com/21172-men-se ... scles.html
http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Vir ... larity.pdf

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:47 pm

musikkkalprostitute wrote:The word 'feminazi' does not offend me in the slightest

phpBB [video]

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:47 pm

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/diane-abbott-shares-deeply-dishonest-picture-of-fake-bombing-raid-in-tweet-about-syria-strikes-a3815161.html

And she's off again. This thing needs to be stopped...she must never be allowed near a government position ever.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:51 pm

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:55 pm

Elessar wrote:

You probably won’t like the evidence, but that’s your burden to carry through life, not mine.

But those links only state that 327 men were involved; hardly a true picture of men in general, is it? I would say that small and very narrow-minded stances such as this can lead to all sorts of prejudices and nonsense (I mean, just because a few hundred muslim men are terrorists, for example, does not obviously make every muslim man one. But by your logic it would. Very scary.)...but that's your burden to carry through life, not, thankfully, mine.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Elessar » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:57 pm

Elessar wrote:

But those links only state that 327 men were involved; hardly a true picture of men in general, is it? I would say that small and very narrow-minded stances such as this can lead to all sorts of prejudices and nonsense (I mean, just because a few hundred muslim men are terrorists, for example, does that make every muslim man one? But by your logic it would. Very scary.)...but that's your burden to carry through life, not, thankfully, mine.

I’m not going to spend my time talking to you about the difference between a self-selected group and a randomly selexted group, because you’ve got no desire to learn anything about scientific methodology, so we’ll leave it at that.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:00 pm

Elessar wrote:
musikkkalprostitute wrote:The word 'feminazi' does not offend me in the slightest

phpBB [video]

You - purposefully and predictably - edited my sentence to help aid your nonsensical argument; I did originally state myself and many others do not find such a term offensive, not just me. But this is what you do...you simply cannot help yourself.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:03 pm

Edit.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:05 pm

Elessar wrote:
I’m not going to spend my time talking to you about the difference between a self-selected group and a randomly selexted group, because you’ve got no desire to learn anything about scientific methodology, so we’ll leave it at that.

A very, very tiny group study does not give a fair picture of an entire group of people. People are far too diverse. But seeing as you have no desire to learn anything about diversity and how prejudices are formed, etc. we'll definitely leave it at that.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Elessar » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:13 pm

Elessar wrote:

A very, very tiny group study does not give a fair picture of an entire group of people. People are far too diverse. But seeing as you have no desire to learn anything about diversity and how prejudices are formed, etc. we'll definitely leave it at that.

Oh go on then, I’ll bite.

If you take a random sample of 300+ people and find a statistically significant correlation between a desire for muscularity and sexism, you have a statistically significant finding with reasonable power. You can therefore extrapolate that finding to the wider population with a fair degree of confidence. A p-value of <0.05 is usually the accepted standard; in this case the p-value was <0.001. Statistician purists would argue that a p-value of much less than the pre-determined accepted upper threshold doesn’t actually mean the finding is ‘more’ statistically significant, but I’d argue that it certainly makes it a bit more compelling. In any case, it’s <0.05 which is enough to reach the significance threshold.

So actually the study didn’t find 300+ sexist bodybuilders. It looked at a cross-section of male society and looked at correlations. They were able to do so with a fairly small sample size because both bodybuilding and sexism are quite common.

You used an example of terrorism. A sample size of 300 would be wholly inadequate to try to draw conclusions about how widespread terrorism is, because in any given random sample of 300 people, the chances are there would be zero terrorists. If you had a rough idea in advance of the prevalence of terrorism you could do a power calculation in advance to determine how large the sample size would need to be - I suspect it would be in the hundreds of thousands.

Statistics are hard and most people have no need to know anything about them. But it would be wise to learn how to science before you criticise science. That would eliminate so many unnecessary misunderstandings, and you’ve had your fingers burnt in that department a few times in the last few weeks.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:19 pm

musikkkalprostitute wrote:You - purposefully and predictably - edited my sentence to help aid your nonsensical argument; I did originally state myself and many others do not find such a term offensive, not just me. But this is what you do...you simply cannot help yourself.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:23 pm

Elessar wrote:
Elessar wrote:

If you take a random sample of 300+ people and find a statistically significant correlation between a desire for muscularity and sexism, you have a statistically significant finding with reasonable power. You can therefore extrapolate that finding to the wider population with a fair degree of confidence....

I would actually agree to a point if there had been multiple studies which had all shown the same result, but not one solitary one; I would agree that, yes, based on the available studies, it is likely - not definite by any means - that there is a correlation between BB and sexism. But one small study? Nah.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World