The New News Thread.

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: The New News Thread.

Postby JLP » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:27 am

Please can we keep the anti and pro Trump crap out of here. Using politics to score points in the light of tragedy is lower than a snakes belly.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:34 am

JLP wrote:Please can we keep the anti and pro Trump crap out of here. Using politics to score points in the light of tragedy is lower than a snakes belly.

So you had to remove the feminazi descriptions as well and that had what to do with Trump? You and quite a few others still don't know the difference between feminist and feminazi. Ok... In most people's minds, they're the same thing and just women who stand up for women's rights rather than one being that and the other wanting men dead.
Sometimes our tears blinded the love
We lost out dreams along the way
But I never thought you'd trade your soul to the fates
Never thought you'd leave me alone

Innuendoes
I Want To Break Free

LEMONed I Scream

Postby icy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:05 am

JLP wrote:Please can we keep the anti and pro Trump crap out of here. Using politics to score points in the light of tragedy is lower than a snakes belly.

My post saying a Facebook friend of mine about her daughter being there as it was happening has been removed? Did that break any rules?
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby Roger » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:33 am

Innuendoes wrote:

So you had to remove the feminazi descriptions as well and that had what to do with Trump? You and quite a few others still don't know the difference between feminist and feminazi. Ok... In most people's minds, they're the same thing and just women who stand up for women's rights rather than one being that and the other wanting men dead.

It’s a term designed to silence or dismiss people. As I’ve said many times (each time falling on deaf ears), it was coined by Rush Limbaugh, who believes that abortion is a modern-day holocaust. In that context, crass as it is, ‘nazi’ is at least a vaguely accurate term if you agree with him.

It’s become clear that different people have different definitions of this term. That’s the whole point of the word. It’s designed to be a label that people can throw around in an inconsistent way to chip away at the feminist movement. Yes, I’m sure most of us would agree that anyone who believes all men should be killed is way too extreme. These people are very few and far between. Either that, or they’re very bad at achieving their goals. I know this because the rate of female-on-male murder is a fraction of the rate of male-on-female murder. Yet no one has coined a term for these ‘masculinazis’ whose existence is surely backed up by actual homicide statistics.

So by introducing a word that only applies to a tiny number of women, but which has an ill-defined meaning, people now have a word that they can use to shut down any feminists that they think might be going too far. And then can do so whilst proudly calling themselves a ‘feminist’. “I’m a feminist, but I hate feminazis!” And of course their definition of ‘feminazi’ might be different to the next person’s: Basically women can have equality up to a point, beyond which they’ll be labelled as a feminazi, and that point can be shifted and changed at will.

That is why the word is dangerous. It’s the end of a sentence that begins “I’m totally pro-feminism but...”. “I’m not racist but...”. “I’m not homophobic but...”. These hypothetical extremes are often referenced in that sort of sentence. The Muslims who want everyone to become Muslim. The homosexuals who want children to be raised to be gay. The women who want all men dead. These people are such a tiny minority that they’re barely part of the group they claim to be in. They’re invented and exaggerated by those who want to maintain the status quo to scare people into not accepting progress.

Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:42 am

Roger wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:

It’s a term designed to silence or dismiss people. As I’ve said many times (each time falling on deaf ears), it was coined by Rush Limbaugh, who believes that abortion is a modern-day holocaust. In that context, crass as it is, ‘nazi’ is at least a vaguely accurate term if you agree with him.

It’s become clear that different people have different definitions of this term. That’s the whole point of the word. It’s designed to be a label that people can throw around in an inconsistent way to chip away at the feminist movement. Yes, I’m sure most of us would agree that anyone who believes all men should be killed is way too extreme. These people are very few and far between. Either that, or they’re very bad at achieving their goals. I know this because the rate of female-on-male murder is a fraction of the rate of male-on-female murder. Yet no one has coined a term for these ‘masculinazis’ whose existence is surely backed up by actual homicide statistics.

So by introducing a word that only applies to a tiny number of women, but which has an ill-defined meaning, people now have a word that they can use to shut down any feminists that they think might be going too far. And then can do so whilst proudly calling themselves a ‘feminist’. “I’m a feminist, but I hate feminazis!” And of course their definition of ‘feminazi’ might be different to the next person’s: Basically women can have equality up to a point, beyond which they’ll be labelled as a feminize, and that point can be shifted and changed at will.

That is why the word is dangerous. It’s the end of a sentence that begins “I’m totally pro-feminism but...”. “I’m not racist but...”. “I’m not homophonic but...”. These hypothetical extremes are often referenced in that sort of sentence. The Muslims who want everyone to become Muslim. The homosexuals who want children to be raised to be gay. The women who want all men dead. These people are such a tiny minority that they’re barely part of the group they claim to be in. They’re invented and exaggerated by those who want to maintain the status quo to scare people into not accepting progress.

Regarding your explanation of feminazi - maybe - MAYBE, over there. Not over here.

Innuendoes
I Want To Break Free

LEMONed I Scream

Postby Roger » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:50 am

Innuendoes wrote:Regarding your explanation of feminazi - maybe - MAYBE, over there. Not over here.

Well I’m fairly sure that Rush Limbaugh is American. But maybe that’s not the point.

Do you really think that these so-called ‘feminazis’ are a significant problem? Aren’t you more worried about the thousands of men who murder their spouses every year? Or the shocking statistics regarding rape, both reported and unreported? Or the glasss ceiling and the pay gap?

How have these ‘feminazis’ damages your country, in your opinion?

My theory is this: There’s a huge overlap between those who feel strongly about feminism and those who feel strongly about other kinds of equality, in particular LGBT stuff (although I’m aware there’s a bit of a divide between some feminists and LGBT people - some feminists don’t approve of transgender females or something. I think there’s a special term for them. I don’t really care - it’s not a world I have any interaction with really). The most privileged group after white straight males is white straight females, so it stands to reason that white straight females might feel threatened by a group that wants equality for all.

Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby JLP » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:50 am

Roger wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:

So by introducing a word that only applies to a tiny number of women, but which has an ill-defined meaning, people now have a word that they can use to shut down any feminists that they think might be going too far. And then can do so whilst proudly calling themselves a ‘feminist’. “I’m a feminist, but I hate feminazis!” And of course their definition of ‘feminazi’ might be different to the next person’s: Basically women can have equality up to a point, beyond which they’ll be labelled as a feminazi, and that point can be shifted and changed at will.

That is why the word is dangerous. It’s the end of a sentence that begins “I’m totally pro-feminism but...”. “I’m not racist but...”. “I’m not homophobic but...”. These hypothetical extremes are often referenced in that sort of sentence. The Muslims who want everyone to become Muslim. The homosexuals who want children to be raised to be gay. The women who want all men dead. These people are such a tiny minority that they’re barely part of the group they claim to be in. They’re invented and exaggerated by those who want to maintain the status quo to scare people into not accepting progress.

You have hit the nail well and truly on the head. Extremists on both the left and right want to shut down views that they disagree with. Mass shooting in the USA? Silence the anti gun lobby by coming up with a theory that blames everything but the wanker with the gun and the fact that his gun was easily obtained. Don't like certain religions? Say they won't let us say Merry Christmas or eat bacon buggies.

None of these issues have a magic solution but whenever they are debated, both sides want to silence the other with links from sites that supports their views and bollocks to anyone who dares disagree..
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby JLP » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:54 am

icy wrote:

My post saying a Facebook friend of mine about her daughter being there as it was happening has been removed? Did that break any rules?

Sorted. Back in this thread.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby Roger » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:55 am

TERF! That’s the one! Trans-exclusionary radical feminist.
I could probably formulate an opinion if pushed, but it’s way outside my sphere of experience or knowledge.
The only cis/trans issues that affect me involve benzylisoquinoliniums. And that really would be a boring tangent.

Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby icy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:58 am

JLP wrote:
icy wrote:

Sorted. Back in this thread.

Thanks. I asked because I wasn't sure if I did something wrong.
Even reading a little bit of what she witnessed...I was very shocked and upset earlier, and my apologies ( to you ) for that.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:01 pm

Roger wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:Regarding your explanation of feminazi - maybe - MAYBE, over there. Not over here.

Well I’m fairly sure that Rush Limbaugh is American. But maybe that’s not the point.

Do you really think that these so-called ‘feminazis’ are a significant problem? Aren’t you more worried about the thousands of men who murder their spouses every year? Or the shocking statistics regarding rape, both reported and unreported? Or the glasss ceiling and the pay gap?

How have these ‘feminazis’ damages your country, in your opinion?

My theory is this: There’s a huge overlap between those who feel strongly about feminism and those who feel strongly about other kinds of equality, in particular LGBT stuff (although I’m aware there’s a bit of a divide between some feminists and LGBT people - some feminists don’t approve of transgender females or something. I think there’s a special term for them. I don’t really care - it’s not a world I have any interaction with really). The most privileged group after white straight males is white straight females, so it stands to reason that white straight females might feel threatened by a group that wants equality for all.

I don't watch or listen to Rush Limbaugh and doubt I ever will so don't keep throwing his name in the discussion as though I or anyone else on this board, as far as I am aware, does.

I probably won't see it but I fear for my son because he's absolutely terrified of these women and is afraid he's eventually going to be killed. And I'm not the one watching it, other than passively. He watches them to see what they are doing and saying and I overhear it. And there are 100s if not 1000s of videos of them going off on men and how evil and worthless they are and how they are absolutely not needed on this earth. So, yes, there are feminazis in this country and there is a huge difference between them and feminists. I hope there aren't that many but it seems that way from what is in the media and on social network sites plus their rallies, etc. They're vile and I am sick to the teeth of hearing them spewing their violent spiels at any man that crosses their path.

Innuendoes
I Want To Break Free

LEMONed I Scream

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:01 pm

I'm done with this. Not answering any more questions. :bomb:

Innuendoes
I Want To Break Free

LEMONed I Scream

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:03 pm

Roger wrote:TERF! That’s the one! Trans-exclusionary radical feminist.
I could probably formulate an opinion if pushed, but it’s way outside my sphere of experience or knowledge.
The only cis/trans issues that affect me involve benzylisoquinoliniums. And that really would be a boring tangent.

Hold on a minute... who is/are the TERFs? On here.

Innuendoes
I Want To Break Free

LEMONed I Scream

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:05 pm

JLP wrote:

You have hit the nail well and truly on the head. Extremists on both the left and right want to shut down views that they disagree with.

I rarely agree with you, but this is spot on. But let us not mix up the extremist mentality and the mentality of many of us on here (not that I am stating you are here): we are simply passionate about our beliefs (and stubborn too); whereas the extremists do not want debate of any kind.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby JLP » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:08 pm

Just a thought, with all the prayers being sent in the light of this latest massacre, what would happen if God replied by saying change your gun laws.

Can anyone really justify why a 19 year old can have access to guns when, if I am correct, income states he cannot legally purchase alcohol?
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World