The New News Thread.

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: The New News Thread.

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:26 pm

Elessar wrote:
musikkkalprostitute wrote:You - purposefully and predictably - edited my sentence to help aid your nonsensical argument; I did originally state myself and many others do not find such a term offensive, not just me. But this is what you do...you simply cannot help yourself.

Yep, you still cannot answer the question. What right do you have to tell anyone they cannot use a particular word because you find it offensive? But carry on with your pics and nonsense.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Elessar » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:30 pm

musikkkalprostitute wrote:...

If you take a random sample of 300+ people and find a statistically significant correlation between a desire for muscularity and sexism, you have a statistically significant finding with reasonable power. You can therefore extrapolate that finding to the wider population with a fair degree of confidence....

I would actually agree to a point if there had been multiple studies which had all shown the same result, but not one solitary one; I would agree that, yes, based on the available studies, it is likely - not definite by any means - that there is a correlation between BB and sexism. But one small study? Nah.[/quote]

Now you are referring to a meta-analysis, which is fair enough because they’re considered to be a higher quality of evidence.

Be careful about dismissing things that you don’t fully understand though - taking them with “a pinch of salt” - that sort of knee-jerk reaction has made you look foolish in the past.

In any case, you originally accused me of making generalised comments about body builders. I’ve now provided evidence to back up my stance and you’ve offered nothing to refute it.

Furthermore, I didn’t even say that all body builders are sexist, just that your views might be more welcome on a body building forum. And guess what? They would be! This place is swarming with that kind of thing:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?19

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:31 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:But those links only state that 327 men were involved; hardly a true picture of men in general, is it?

Well, it's like how they do opinion polls and polls on who's going to win an election before they actually count the votes. (Which can be wrong, but more often than not, they're right.) They don't poll millions of people, they take a sample, and say they're right within a certain margin of error.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby Elessar » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:33 pm

musikkkalprostitute wrote:
Elessar wrote:Image

Yep, you still cannot answer the question. What right do you have to tell anyone they cannot use a particular word because you find it offensive? But carry on with your pics and nonsense.

I haven’t said you cannot. I’ve said you should not. Whether or not you can is something only the mods can decide, in conjunction with the forum’s rules on hate speech, and they’ve clearly decided that you can.

But your right to free speech is more important than the respect that I believe women, and victims of the Holocaust, deserve.

That’s fine, we all have our hierarchies of importance and yours falls a different way to mine.

I do however think it is something that should be challenged, and therefore have done so and will continue to do so.
Last edited by Elessar on Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:35 pm

The__KingOfRhye wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:But those links only state that 327 men were involved; hardly a true picture of men in general, is it?

Well, it's like how they do opinion polls and polls on who's going to win an election before they actually count the votes. (Which can be wrong, but more often than not, they're right.) They don't poll millions of people, they take a sample, and say they're right within a certain margin of error.

Yeah and California declares after counting 1% of the votes because at that point the statistical chances of the predicted result approach certainty. And 1% of the votes is many orders of magnitude more than even the most thorough of telephone opinion polls.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:45 pm

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:46 pm

Elessar wrote:Now you are referring to a meta-analysis, which is fair enough because they’re considered to be a higher quality of evidence.

Be careful about dismissing things that you don’t fully understand though - taking them with “a pinch of salt” - that sort of knee-jerk reaction has made you look foolish in the past.

In any case, you originally accused me of making generalised comments about body builders. I’ve now provided evidence to back up my stance and you’ve offered nothing to refute it.

Furthermore, I didn’t even say that all body builders are sexist, just that your views might be more welcome on a body building forum. And guess what? They would be! This place is swarming with that kind of thing:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?19

How can I refute a single study? I simply cannot. All I am stating is that one study of this kind does not give a fair picture. So your generalisation was based on a very small study. I just think that basing one's opinions on things like this does not always help in the ways of diversity and fairness, etc.

So, what are these views I share with body builders then? I have never been misogynistic in my life (I was brought up surrounded by strong women my whole life and have nothing but respect for the female race).

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Elessar » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:49 pm

musikkkalprostitute wrote:So, what are these views I share with body builders then? I have never been misogynistic in my life (I was brought up surrounded by strong women my whole life and have nothing but respect for the female race).

You started a thread called “Feminazis need to shush” and then called them ‘hairy crackpots’.

Your reply will probably involve some reference to how they give their ‘sisters’ a bad name, because you heard that Eurythmics song and now think you’re Germaine Greer (if Greer thought extreme feminists were akin to Nazis, that is).

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:55 pm

Elessar wrote:
musikkkalprostitute wrote:So, what are these views I share with body builders then? I have never been misogynistic in my life (I was brought up surrounded by strong women my whole life and have nothing but respect for the female race).

You started a thread called “Feminazis need to shush” and then called them ‘hairy crackpots’.

Your reply will probably involve some reference to how they give their ‘sisters’ a bad name, because you heard that Eurythmics song and now think you’re Germaine Greer (if Greer thought extreme feminists were akin to Nazis, that is).

OK. So because I despise extremists and use language I personally deem appropriate to describe such extremists I must be a misogynist?

So you do not think they do give other true feminist women a bad name then?

Oh, and I do not - for one minute - think I am Germaine Greer...thankfully, as many feminists have been openly attacking her recently. Funny old world, ain't it, Squire.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:58 pm

The__KingOfRhye wrote:

Listen, I think you are actually quite reasonable and am more than willing to read your posts and take on board anything I may have not thought about, etc. But I still maintain that a single study of 327 men cannot give a fair enough picture. That is all I am saying. A very, very, miniscule hint of the way things may be? Maybe. A true picture? No.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Elessar » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:59 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
OK. So because I despise extremists and use language I personally deem appropriate to describe such extremists I must be a misogynist?

So you do not think they do give other true feminist women a bad name then?

Until they start rounding up millions of men and pushing them into ovens, I don’t think the comparison to Nazis is appropriate.
In fact, men continue to kill far more women than women kill men.

Oh, and I do not - for one minute - think I am Germaine Greer...thankfully, as many feminists have been openly attacking her recently. Funny old world, ain't it, Squire.

Yeah, she’s been criticised for criticising #MeToo and saying the victims have themselves to blame. She was just an example of a famous feminist.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby action » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:01 pm

ok, feminazis a not acceptable. but i feel another term is needed, because this:

is not normal behaviour. I need a term to indicate when I'm talking about these asshats. any term will do, I'll let the QOL moral board committe decide upon a term fitting of these idiots
I see you standing there. You think you so cool. Why don't you just..... fuck off!

action
Don't Stop Me Now

I know what's right and what's wrong

Postby Elessar » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:02 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
But I still maintain that a single study of 327 men cannot give a fair enough picture. That is all I am saying. A very, very, miniscule hint of the way things may be? Maybe. A true picture? No.

Then you don’t know how cross-sectional studies work.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:03 pm

action wrote:ok, feminazis a not acceptable. but i feel another term is needed, because this:

is not normal behaviour. I need a term to indicate when I'm talking about these asshats. any term will do, I'll let the QOL moral board committe decide upon a term fitting of these idiots

I dunno, a seemingly angry woman with short hair and myopia?

With that short-sightedness, she’d have been marched straight to the gas chambers if she rocked up to Nazi HQ asking for a job.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby action » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:04 pm

Elessar wrote:
action wrote:ok, feminazis a not acceptable. but i feel another term is needed, because this:

I dunno, a seemingly angry woman with short hair and myopia?

With that short-sightedness, she’d have been marched straight to the gas chambers if she rocked up to Nazi HQ asking for a job.

:lol:
I see you standing there. You think you so cool. Why don't you just..... fuck off!

action
Don't Stop Me Now

I know what's right and what's wrong

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World