The New News Thread.

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: The New News Thread.

Postby action » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:33 am

Elessar wrote:Being sceptical is fine, but I think it takes a special kind of heartlessness to look at images of dying children and think "Nah, they're faking it".

that's a problem, yes.

I don't think it necessarily comes from "heartlessness". People can be so confused by conspiracy theories and horrible cruelties, that a self preserving mechanism kicks into action that wants to suppress reality. I'm sure you could tell better than me which psychological / neurological processes are involved.

Kind of like your first reaction when your friend dies is "No, that's not possible. He can't be dead". Is that heartless? Quite the contrary: it shows you love and care.
I see you standing there. You think you so cool. Why don't you just..... fuck off!

action
Don't Stop Me Now

I know what's right and what's wrong

Postby Elessar » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:35 am

Kes wrote:
Elessar wrote:
If the intention is to kill rebels, yes.

What if the intention is to scare them into submission?
Then, I would suggest, the technique absolutely IS to target the most vulnerable. The strong ones are still useful commodities if they can be forced into submission.

I think you've got a couple of million Syrians, who are still a future threat to the Assad regime, who no longer live in Syria. He isn't exactly endearing himself to them, is he?

I think he’d be overreaching if he went after the worldwide Syrian diaspora.

And in any case, if the Russian propaganda machine can persuade a bunch of Americans that Assad is innocent, I’d imagine it’s far easier to convince actual Syrians, especially when there’s American bombs raining down on their relatives’ schools.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:36 am

action wrote:
Elessar wrote:Being sceptical is fine, but I think it takes a special kind of heartlessness to look at images of dying children and think "Nah, they're faking it".

that's a problem, yes.

I don't think it necessarily comes from "heartlessness". People can be so confused by conspiracy theories and horrible cruelties, that a self preserving mechanism kicks into action that wants to suppress reality. I'm sure you could tell better than me which psychological / neurological processes are involved.

Kind of like your first reaction when your friend dies is "No, that's not possible. He can't be dead". Is that heartless? Quite the contrary: it shows you love and care.

Yes, but then you work your way past denial and through anger, depression, bargaining and acceptance.

You don’t start teasing the victims for not getting into college.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby action » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:41 am

Elessar wrote:Yes, but then you work your way past denial and through anger, depression, bargaining and acceptance.

You don’t start teasing the victims for not getting into college.

but isn't that what every "sane" person watching the news, has gone through already, for years and years now?

it's wrong to appreciate a singular event like a picture of a dead child, and someone's reaction. these horrible stories are happening for as long as we remember, but they are admittedly kicking into higher gear since the last 5 or so years. The feelings you mention: denial, anger, depression etc... we've all been there already. And when another cruel event is announced, the reaction given is the end of the process that's years in the making.

teasing the victims for not going into college is another thing though. that's just an ignorant thing to say
I see you standing there. You think you so cool. Why don't you just..... fuck off!

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:45 am

My mind is taken back to a pair of British armoured personnel carriers in the first Gulf War. They got attacked by missiles from a pair of American A10s, about a week before the war ended, leaving 9 dead. That was about five more British servicemen than the Iraqis managed to kill in the entire conflict.

The moral being, when those around you are getting blown into little pieces, does it really matter who previously owned the munitions you are now dealing with?
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby JLP » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:58 am

Innuendoes wrote:Yea, haha. I believe that way less than the actors playing dead in videos regarding the gassing. Like when their faces itch, they throw back the blankets that cover them to scratch, then throw it back over their face while the guards laugh. lol

Laughing at victims of gassing, calling teenagers who have seen their friends shot liars, calling unarmed black youths shot by police or security guards criminals and so on. Is there no limit to the depths you will go?

Oh I forgot. You are too busy to answer which is your stock stance when you are backed into a corner. People like you are the reason I never want to visit the USA.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Innuendoes » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:02 am

JLP wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:Yea, haha. I believe that way less than the actors playing dead in videos regarding the gassing. Like when their faces itch, they throw back the blankets that cover them to scratch, then throw it back over their face while the guards laugh. lol

Laughing at victims of gassing, calling teenagers who have seen their friends shot liars, calling unarmed black youths shot by police or security guards criminals and so on. Is there no limit to the depths you will go?

Oh I forgot. You are too busy to answer which is your stock stance when you are backed into a corner. People like you are the reason I never want to visit the USA.

Yes, when I am recording a live stream, I am too busy to sit here and be bullied.

I know what I saw on that video with the guys laughing at each other when they were pulling the sheets off their face to scratch an itch then pull the sheet back over their faces while they were all lined up in a row, pretending to be corpses.

When in the HELL did I laugh at Trayvon Martin?!?!

Take a hike :mad:

Innuendoes

Postby Elessar » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:17 am

Innuendoes wrote:
I know what I saw on that video with the guys laughing at each other when they were pulling the sheets off their face to scratch an itch then pull the sheet back over their faces while they were all lined up in a row, pretending to be corpses.

For a film.

This film: https://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/news/ ... -from-film

I’ve seen Saving Private Ryan, but I don’t think World War 2 was fake.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby JLP » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:08 pm

Innuendoes wrote:
JLP wrote:

Yes, when I am recording a live stream, I am too busy to sit here and be bullied.

When in the HELL did I laugh at Trayvon Martin?!?!

Take a hike :mad:

Never said you did. I said you inferred he was there to commit a criminal offence.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby CNB » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:27 pm

I wanted to move to Canada when George W. was “appointed” to the presidency by Scalia and the US Supreme Court and then there was an 8 year reprieve with Barack Obama, but the current situation is more unbearable than ever! No one cares about the truth especially when we have leaders who call everything fake news!
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby CNB » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:26 pm

James Comey’s memos .....

http://www.cnn.com/2018/04/19/politics/ ... index.html

Trump’s insane response (note: these memos were leaked to the public by Trump’s toadies in Congress, not by Comey):

“@realDonaldTrump
So General Michael Flynn’s life can be totally destroyed while Shadey James Comey can Leak and Lie and make lots of money from a third rate book (that should never have been written). Is that really the way life in America is supposed to work? I don’t think so!“

Trump doesn’t seem to remember or want to admit that HE is the guy who fired and destroyed the lives of both Flynn and Comey!

He is a one man wrecking crew who is destroying everyone who gets in his way!
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby Elessar » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:52 pm

A man from Grenada had lived in the UK for 50 years lost his job because he didn’t have a passport, but on the plus side, Prince Charle will one day be king of Grenada.

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ssion=true

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:44 pm

This "pregnant leftie" did more this week than you have all year:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ginarushton/thi ... .yq5DmkmE0

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby action » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:09 pm

Elessar wrote:This "pregnant leftie" did more this week than you have all year:

she's better than us

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Elessar » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:11 pm

action wrote:
Elessar wrote:This "pregnant leftie" did more this week than you have all year:

she's better than us

She's certainly got better teeth than us.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World