The New News Thread.

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: The New News Thread.

Postby Elessar » Fri May 11, 2018 12:10 pm

action wrote:
Elessar wrote:
action wrote:
I see.

We're one step removed from arguing that Hitler was a good christian, which will be the cue to empty my glass and leave the estaminet

I thought he was atheist?

At least he usually gets thrown at atheists when we try to point out that religion isn't necessary to have good morals.

Edit: That might have been Stalin actually.

according to kingofrhye, Hitler (extreme right wing) should have been a fundamentalist christian

of course that's a silly thing to say, and hence he's twisting and turning to alter his words. it's all to mind numbingly tiring :sleepy:

I really don't think he is. He was talking about religious fundamentalists, who are usually pretty right-wing.

I mean, they really are. It's largely a coincidence I suppose - after all, Jesus himself would surely have been a massive leftie - but it's undeniable that at least in the USA and the UK, there's a huge overlap between Christian fundamentalism and conservatism. The usual caveats apply - not all Christian fundamentalists are conservatives and not all conservatives are Christian fundamentalists, but the Venn diagram is mostly a common area.

I mean, if you pluck a US fundamentalist Christian politician at random, there's an almost 100% chance that he or she is a Republican. That's just a fact.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Fri May 11, 2018 12:11 pm

action wrote:
The__KingOfRhye wrote:Fundie = religious fundamentalist. Which seems to go hand-in-hand with being far-right-wing.

so Hitler was a religious fundamentalist. Got it.

We're going to have to sit you down and do Venn diagrams.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Fri May 11, 2018 12:14 pm

action wrote:
restracting your shit again I see. you connected right wing with religion, but you lack the arguments to further your claim.

As usual, it was a waste of time trying to argue with you.

Retracting???? Again???? What are you even talking about????

I originally said, and you even quoted me as saying it: "religious fundamentalist. Which seems to go hand-in-hand with being far-right-wing." I haven't "retracted" that at all, I was trying to elaborate on it, because you apparently didn't understand what I meant by "fundamentalist" or chose to ignore that word. I don't know how in the hell you go from what I said to "he thinks religious = right wing" and some crap about Hitler.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Fri May 11, 2018 12:17 pm

Elessar wrote:I really don't think he is. He was talking about religious fundamentalists, who are usually pretty right-wing.

I thought I had made that pretty clear. But apparently not clear enough, maybe.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Postby action » Fri May 11, 2018 12:19 pm

Elessar wrote:I really don't think he is. He was talking about religious fundamentalists, who are usually pretty right-wing.

I mean, they really are. It's largely a coincidence I suppose - after all, Jesus himself would surely have been a massive leftie - but it's undeniable that at least in the USA and the UK, there's a huge overlap between Christian fundamentalism and conservatism. The usual caveats apply - not all Christian fundamentalists are conservatives and not all conservatives are Christian fundamentalists, but the Venn diagram is mostly a common area.

I mean, if you pluck a US fundamentalist Christian politician at random, there's an almost 100% chance that he or she is a Republican. That's just a fact.

a stable family, man and woman married, two children, two jobs and shit... all those might be red flags for being right wing these days. It really has come this far.

We live in a society where lazyness and inertia is being rewarded. Hard work is ridiculed. Everything is handed out "for free".

The left side, is the antithesis of all of this. Chances are, the family members I just described, would be conservative and hence right wing in your opinion. Take an uneducated person without a wife and children, who lives off social security, a lazy good-for nothing... what party do you think he'll vote for?

Now to me, it's all the same. Everyone does what everyone thinks they should do. In a couple of hours, I'll be driving home where my wife and son is waiting for me, I'll park my car in our garage, I'll take a warm bath in my own house which I paid myself by hard work and a life of studying, and I'll loathe the good-for-nothings I'll see on the news and who are demonstrating in the streets against all that's conservative. I'll have a drink on all the good citizens who work hard every day, so that lazy good-for-nothings can parasite off the system. And then endure this fucking place, with people calling conservatives and religious people (extreme) right wing
I see you standing there. You think you so cool. Why don't you just..... fuck off!

action
Don't Stop Me Now

I know what's right and what's wrong

Postby Elessar » Fri May 11, 2018 12:28 pm

I hope this helps:

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby action » Fri May 11, 2018 12:31 pm

Elessar wrote:I hope this helps:

hold on. is hitler his own venn-diagram, or is that his face?
I see you standing there. You think you so cool. Why don't you just..... fuck off!

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Fri May 11, 2018 12:31 pm

Action, action, action.....

Relax!

I'm not calling YOU far-right. I'm not saying just being religious makes people far-right. I'm saying religious FUNDAMENTALISTS (which I now have given two definitions of), at least in the US, often are. That's just a fact.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Postby action » Fri May 11, 2018 12:31 pm

The__KingOfRhye wrote:Action, action, action.....

Relax!

I'm not calling YOU far-right. I'm not saying just being religious makes people far-right. I'm saying religious FUNDAMENTALISTS (which I now have given two definitions of), at least in the US, often are. That's just a fact.

why can't religious fundamentalists be extreme left? that's what I really was asking

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Elessar » Fri May 11, 2018 12:32 pm

action wrote:

Yes, that's his little head.

He could have his own circle but that would probably not be to scale.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby action » Fri May 11, 2018 12:35 pm

Elessar wrote:
action wrote:

Yes, that's his little head.

He could have his own circle but that would probably not be to scale.

I hate to break it to you, but your diagram is wrong. Hitler should have his own circle. draw a circle around his head, and then it's right. (right, as in not-wrong)

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby action » Fri May 11, 2018 12:37 pm

also, thanks for the giggles

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Elessar » Fri May 11, 2018 12:40 pm

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby action » Fri May 11, 2018 12:54 pm

Elessar wrote:Image

it's clear as glass now.

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Fri May 11, 2018 12:58 pm

action wrote:why can't religious fundamentalists be extreme left? that's what I really was asking

I never said they couldn't. But, I think fundamentalism, by its very nature, is highly compatible with conservativism. Fundamentalism is essentially trying to go back to the basics (the fundamentals, if you will) of a religion. Conservatism is about preserving traditional ways and values and such.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World