The New News Thread.

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: The New News Thread.

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:43 pm

bigV wrote:Freddie has referred to himself as "greedy bitch", "aging queen" and "musical prostitute". And that's just in the 80s. Liam Gallagher, the less talented brother, is a twat and everyone knows it. But this is much ado about nothing. He got waaaaay more attention than he deserved. Let's move on, shall we?

V.

Exactly. Freddie referred to himself in that way: in the same way a gay man can call himself a faggot, yet it is not acceptable for someone else to. This we all agree on.

Liam would get attention anyway - it is what he does. So talk of 'moving on' makes no difference. I had only just heard about it and, therefore, naturally felt inclined to defend Freddie (and as I do not participate in Twitter, etc. this is the best place for me to voice my anger). I'll move on when I'm ready, thanks. :)

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Elessar » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:17 am

Duckenfield to be tried for manslaughter:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-me ... e-44656778

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:37 am

On the subject of Mancunian singers who are also twats:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/morri ... 75916.html

Mozza, it’s not censorship if you decide to cancel your own shows you daft racist. Manchester recently had 22 people, mostly little girls, blown up recently and yet you’re still one of the most intolerant people from the city.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby JLP » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:57 pm

Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Elessar » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:48 pm

The nurse baby killers story in the UK:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-me ... e-44709766

It’s awful of course, but I hope the police have exercised appropriate caution in releasing the suspect’s name. The likes of the Mail and the Sun have torn apart her Facebook and emphasised photos of her drinking, looked up the value of her house and all the usual tactics that they employ. I remember when someone was going round spiking bags of fluid with insulin, the police arrested the wrong nurse and the media made her life a misery. I suspect she still has problems. Hopefully lessons have been learnt this time.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby WeeMann » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:57 pm

Elessar wrote:It’s awful of course, but I hope the police have exercised appropriate caution in releasing the suspect’s name.

The police haven't released her name though:

Cheshire Police has not officially named the suspect but said the woman arrested remains in custody.

This is the press, again, getting ahead of the game. This is why Cliff Richard is suing the BBC. They do it all the time and bugger the consequences. They may be correct with the name and she may be guilty, but this shouldn't be reported until after she's been found guilty.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby Elessar » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:01 pm

WeeMann wrote:
Elessar wrote:It’s awful of course, but I hope the police have exercised appropriate caution in releasing the suspect’s name.

Cheshire Police has not officially named the suspect but said the woman arrested remains in custody.

This is the press, again, getting ahead of the game. This is why Cliff Richard is suing the BBC. They do it all the time and bugger the consequences. They may be correct with the name and she may be guilty, but this shouldn't be reported until after she's been found guilty.

Interesting. One expects better from the BBC.

Surely it’s a police leak though, deliberate or otherwise.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby JLP » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Elessar wrote:
WeeMann wrote:

Or it could be a colleague of hers. Whatever has happened, she still should not be tried by the media.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby Elessar » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:49 pm

JLP wrote:
Elessar wrote:

Or it could be a colleague of hers. Whatever has happened, she still should not be tried by the media.

I’m sure the fact that her name is all over the media will form of her legal team’s defence should it go to trial. Very difficult for her to get a fair trial now. Everyone who sees the papers tomorrow or watches the BBC knows her name, and many of them are potential jurors.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby JLP » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:34 am

Elessar wrote:
JLP wrote:
Elessar wrote:

I’m sure the fact that her name is all over the media will form of her legal team’s defence should it go to trial. Very difficult for her to get a fair trial now. Everyone who sees the papers tomorrow or watches the BBC knows her name, and many of them are potential jurors.

She guzzles cocktails and pulls funny faces on nights out. :shock:
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby Elessar » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:01 am

JLP wrote:
Elessar wrote:I’m sure the fact that her name is all over the media will form of her legal team’s defence should it go to trial. Very difficult for her to get a fair trial now. Everyone who sees the papers tomorrow or watches the BBC knows her name, and many of them are potential jurors.

And her house cost £180,000!

Fair play to her though. She’s 3 years younger than me and her house cost nearly double my flat.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:54 am

I hope that lessons have been learnt from the case of Lucia De Berk, and that statistics are respected and used correctly.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucia_de_Berk

This point is crucial: http://www.nature.com/articles/445254a

It doesn’t matter how unlikely the deaths are to be a tragic coincidence. What matters is how that likelihood, whether very low or very high, relates to the likelihood that a newly qualified nurse embarked on an infanticidal spree and went undetected for years. It essentially boils down to the Sherlock Holmes quote that once the impossible has been eliminated, what remains, no matter how improbable, must be true.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby JLP » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:07 am

Elessar wrote:
JLP wrote:
Elessar wrote:I’m sure the fact that her name is all over the media will form of her legal team’s defence should it go to trial. Very difficult for her to get a fair trial now. Everyone who sees the papers tomorrow or watches the BBC knows her name, and many of them are potential jurors.

And her house cost £180,000!

Fair play to her though. She’s 3 years younger than me and her house cost nearly double my flat.

She has been released on bail, pending further enquiries. Hope she does not go to the pub to watch the quarter final tomorrow. Heaven forbid she should celebrate it England win.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:18 pm

This country is so tolerant that sometimes we go too far. The Mayor of London is acting incredibly immature and being a total amateur by allowing the lefties to fly their silly little Trump Balloon over London when he visits.

The worst thing is this sort of behaviour will make the headlines, even though it does not represent the views of this country.

The mayor is an embarrassment.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Elessar » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:21 pm

Yeah, fuck freedom of speech, let’s protect Trump.

In other news, Brexit goes from strength to strength:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-44762836

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World