The New News Thread.

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: The New News Thread.

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:46 pm

Elessar wrote:Yeah, fuck freedom of speech, let’s protect Trump.

In other news, Brexit goes from strength to strength:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-44762836

The mayor has become an embarrassment.
End of.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Elessar » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:06 pm

Hunt is no longer Health Sec!!!

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby JLP » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:12 pm

Elessar wrote:Hunt is no longer Health Sec!!!

At last, some good news.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby icy » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:26 pm

I'm gripped by the cave rescues for the boys and their coach that is going on Thailand. I hope the rest make it out safely.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby Elessar » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:31 pm

JLP wrote:
Elessar wrote:Hunt is no longer Health Sec!!!

At last, some good news.

His replacement will be awful I’m sure, but I think we’re just utterly sick of Hunt so him going is still great news.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby JLP » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:43 am

So a man whose surname rhymes with a not nice term for female genitalia is replaced by a man whose name ends in ock. And they say the Tories aren't screwing the NHS.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby Sole Survivor » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:56 pm

Like him or loathe him, at least Trump is delivering on his election promises, however controversial anyone here may find them. At least people know where they stand with him, which is more than can be said about our prime minister. I'm grateful at least that he had the cojones to call her on failing to deliver what the British people voted for.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Sole Survivor
Spread Your Wings

Guitars from outta space!

Postby JLP » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:09 pm

Sole Survivor wrote:Like him or loathe him, at least Trump is delivering on his election promises, however controversial anyone here may find them. At least people know where they stand with him, which is more than can be said about our prime minister. I'm grateful at least that he had the cojones to call her on failing to deliver what the British people voted for.

If I remember correctly, Obama was lambasted on here for commentating on Brexit during the referendum. But it is OK for this sexist, xenophobic test to intervene. Why is that I wonder.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby Elessar » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:24 pm

JLP wrote:
Sole Survivor wrote:Like him or loathe him, at least Trump is delivering on his election promises, however controversial anyone here may find them. At least people know where they stand with him, which is more than can be said about our prime minister. I'm grateful at least that he had the cojones to call her on failing to deliver what the British people voted for.

If I remember correctly, Obama was lambasted on here for commentating on Brexit during the referendum. But it is OK for this sexist, xenophobic test to intervene. Why is that I wonder.

What a mystery!

Something to do with that wonderful country that keeps taking out British citizens on British soil, perhaps?

PS Little Croatia deserve some kudos for calling out their warmongering hosts during this World Cup

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Sole Survivor » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:50 pm

JLP wrote:

Easily explained. Obama effectively THREATENED the UK that we'd be 'back of the queue' if we voted leave- he DIRECTLY tried to influence the vote, which is why I lambasted him for it. Trump at least tried to raise the issue of whether or not we are getting what we voted for in as diplomatic a way as he could. Dunno about you, but I don;t like ANY foreign power trying to tell ME who or what to vote for- and before Ellie gets out the virtue signal to call SJWman into action, I personally couldn't give less of a f*ck what the skin colour of the person is.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Sole Survivor
Spread Your Wings

Postby Elessar » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:58 pm

Sole Survivor wrote:
JLP wrote:

Easily explained. Obama effectively THREATENED the UK that we'd be 'back of the queue' if we voted leave- he DIRECTLY tried to influence the vote, which is why I lambasted him for it. Trump at least tried to raise the issue of whether or not we are getting what we voted for in as diplomatic a way as he could. Dunno about you, but I don;t like ANY foreign power trying to tell ME who or what to vote for- and before Ellie gets out the virtue signal to call SJWman into action, I personally couldn't give less of a f*ck what the skin colour of the person is.

Wow - my little stealth attacks have far less impact when I have to explain them.

I was making a reference to you supporting Russia’s invasion of Ukraine; nothing to do with Obama’s skin colour :?

That said, it’s a rather depressing sign of the times that you think that anyone calling out skin-colour based criticism of Obama - although on this occasion a straw man - would be a SJW/virtue signaller.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Sole Survivor » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:06 pm

I've never supported Russia's invasion of Ukraine, so you can stick that accusation where the sun don't shine. What I objected to was the way that the EU influenced (And still does) Ukraine's voting system, to the point where there is a fascist/nationalist group in prominent positions in their parliament, and fascist/nationalist flags fly openly above the city halls of certain oblasts in Ukraine- I've been there myself and seen them personally. This is what led Putin to annex Crimea, which was not an invasion, and even most Ukrainians don't see it as such, save for the fascist/nationalist right. That's because the population in Crimea has always been Russian, due to the Baltic fleet being based there, and it was only ceded to Ukraine as a goodwill gesture by Nikita Kruschev during the days of the USSR. As such, it was an empty gesture that was quickly taken up by nationalists as soon as the USSR broke up.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Sole Survivor
Spread Your Wings

Postby JLP » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:08 pm

Sole Survivor wrote:
JLP wrote:

Trump said we were not getting what we voted for. But all we were asked is did we want to leave or stay in the EU. He then went on to say that British people shared his views on immigration. Yet when I said immigration was an issue that affected the result of the referendum, I was shot down in flames on bere.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby Elessar » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:12 pm

Sole Survivor wrote:I've never supported Russia's invasion of Ukraine, so you can stick that accusation where the sun don't shine. What I objected to was the way that the EU influenced (And still does) Ukraine's voting system, to the point where there is a fascist/nationalist group in prominent positions in their parliament, and fascist/nationalist flags fly openly above the city halls of certain oblasts in Ukraine- I've been there myself and seen them personally. This is what led Putin to annex Crimea, which was not an invasion, and even most Ukrainians don't see it as such, save for the fascist/nationalist right. That's because the population in Crimea has always been Russian, due to the Baltic fleet being based there, and it was only ceded to Ukraine as a goodwill gesture by Nikita Kruschev during the days of the USSR. As such, it was an empty gesture that was quickly taken up by nationalists as soon as the USSR broke up.

Every Ukrainian I spoke to there 6 weeks ago hated the Russians, but I’m sure they were all part of the minority.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Sole Survivor » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:34 pm

Ask them what colour flags fly over their city halls- yellow and blue, or red and black- if the latter, their local oblast is run by a fascist/nationalist party member. That's the flag currently flying over my in-law's city hall...
Amor Vincit Omnia

Sole Survivor
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World