The New News Thread.

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: The New News Thread.

Postby Elessar » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:37 pm

action wrote:
Elessar wrote:The other thing is that you’ve posted a few cartoons of what you think SJWs are, and none of the features apply to me (and you know that’s true), so continuing to call me one is a bit silly.

I don't feel the need to apologize. I was having a "fun" moment on that occasion, as we all have from time to time.

If I'm taking intellectual liberties making a blatantly false point, then I guess so do you

The problem is that I suspect some of the other people who often share your side of these arguments are unable to appreciate that, and start using SJW as weaponised label (see the unprovoked post yesterday here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8704&start=2124 )

Elessar

Postby action » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:10 pm

Elessar wrote:
action wrote:
Elessar wrote:The other thing is that you’ve posted a few cartoons of what you think SJWs are, and none of the features apply to me (and you know that’s true), so continuing to call me one is a bit silly.

I don't feel the need to apologize. I was having a "fun" moment on that occasion, as we all have from time to time.

If I'm taking intellectual liberties making a blatantly false point, then I guess so do you

The problem is that I suspect some of the other people who often share your side of these arguments are unable to appreciate that, and start using SJW as weaponised label (see the unprovoked post yesterday here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8704&start=2124 )

I refuse to take responsability for other people's behaviour. Alliances are a fragile thing. One day they're your enemie, next day your friend. I don't participate in all of that. I'm no one's friend, nor anyone's enemy. If I share the same views with some people on here, that's coincidence. as I'm sure people like MP will assert to. I agree with him when he's right, I call him out when he isn't. I did the same with Inny, fd, and pretty much anyone else on this board
Why stand on a silent platform?

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby JLP » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:19 pm

Elessar wrote:
action wrote:

Completely agree. Whenever I try and point out something I feel unacceptable, I am accused of playing the race card. Sometimes I might have been over sensitive but it is an easy way out.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Broooklyn » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:48 am

I am a member of the Comment Reading Association: (CRA). I am only here to read the comments.
Please keep the comments short, simple and semi-vaguely succinct.
We do appreciate your typing effort.
Also, please watch your spelling, correct errors before posting, and keep complete agreements with one another to a respectable minimum.
Thank you and have a grate (sic) day!

Broooklyn
We Will Rock You

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:58 am

Sole Survivor wrote:Easily explained. Obama effectively THREATENED the UK that we'd be 'back of the queue' if we voted leave- he DIRECTLY tried to influence the vote, which is why I lambasted him for it. Trump at least tried to raise the issue of whether or not we are getting what we voted for in as diplomatic a way as he could. Dunno about you, but I don;t like ANY foreign power trying to tell ME who or what to vote for- and before Ellie gets out the virtue signal to call SJWman into action, I personally couldn't give less of a f*ck what the skin colour of the person is.

Well stated. Obama was a cheeky fucker who had absolutely no right to try and dictate anything to the UK. And can you imagine how the population of the USA would react if this had been the other way round? I am guessing they would have been far more vociferous and blatant in their responses.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Elessar » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:00 pm

No, the president of the USA had no right whatsoever to talk hypothetically about the ramifications of a possible Brexit on future trade relations with the USA. To have the right to do that, he’d have to have some sort of role within the US government, whereas this guy was was just the...oh hold on.

Elessar

Postby JLP » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:13 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
Sole Survivor wrote:Easily explained. Obama effectively THREATENED the UK that we'd be 'back of the queue' if we voted leave- he DIRECTLY tried to influence the vote, which is why I lambasted him for it. Trump at least tried to raise the issue of whether or not we are getting what we voted for in as diplomatic a way as he could. Dunno about you, but I don;t like ANY foreign power trying to tell ME who or what to vote for- and before Ellie gets out the virtue signal to call SJWman into action, I personally couldn't give less of a f*ck what the skin colour of the person is.

Well stated. Obama was a cheeky fucker who had absolutely no right to try and dictate anything to the UK. And can you imagine how the population of the USA would react if this had been the other way round? I am guessing they would have been far more vociferous and blatant in their responses.

Surely Trump is doing exactly the same though?
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Elessar » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:36 pm

JLP wrote:Surely Trump is doing exactly the same though?

Yeah but he puts immigrant babies in cages so it’s all good.

Elessar

Postby Elessar » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:38 pm

This is a very insightful and slightly chilling article. It’s also not written by a British person or an American person so hopefully it can be read without being instantly dismissed as snowflake/leftie/SJW/virtue signalling or whatever the soundbite of the day is.

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/finta ... ow-1.35433

This line actually send shivers down my spine, as it were:

“You have to do trial runs that, if they are done well, serve two purposes. They get people used to something they may initially recoil from; and they allow you to refine and calibrate. This is what is happening now and we would be fools not to see it.”

I say that because there are people on this very site who I may well have been disagreeing with for years but who NEVER would have supported or defended Trump 5 years ago. Clearly they didn’t change overnight. It’s been a gradual process, little by little, until we have people literally praising Trump for telling May to do months after criticising Obama for pretty much the same thing.
Last edited by Elessar on Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elessar

Postby action » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:38 pm

Elessar wrote:

<citation needed>
Why stand on a silent platform?

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Elessar » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:43 pm

action wrote:
Elessar wrote:

<citation needed>

Oh right. It was kind of big news :?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44518942
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... eparations

Elessar

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:00 pm

Elessar wrote:No, the president of the USA had no right whatsoever to talk hypothetically about the ramifications of a possible Brexit on future trade relations with the USA. To have the right to do that, he’d have to have some sort of role within the US government, whereas this guy was was just the...oh hold on.

He could have said things in a better way. And he came across as patronising.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:05 pm

JLP wrote:
Surely Trump is doing exactly the same though?

Not from the little I have read. I do not see any veiled threats from him, like there was from Obama. Although, I am no supporter of Trump so I do not read much of what he says anyway; if he has made similar veiled threats then I would find him equally as annoying.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Elessar » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:06 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
Elessar wrote:No, the president of the USA had no right whatsoever to talk hypothetically about the ramifications of a possible Brexit on future trade relations with the USA. To have the right to do that, he’d have to have some sort of role within the US government, whereas this guy was was just the...oh hold on.

He could have said things in a better way. And he came across as patronising.

That sums up everything that is wrong with how people vote nowadays.

The content was irrelevant, it’s the fact that he was articulate, smart and spoke from a position of superior knowledge that riles people. They’d rather someone put a catchy one-liner on the side of a bus.

Elessar

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:08 pm

Elessar wrote:This is a very insightful and slightly chilling article. It’s also not written by a British person or an American person so hopefully it can be read without being instantly dismissed as snowflake/leftie/SJW/virtue signalling or whatever the soundbite of the day is.

Yeah, your lot can make OTT and unfounded accusations until you are blue in the face, but others cannot call you out for what YOU are...yeah, that seems fair. :roll:

They are not soundbites just because you do not agree with them.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World