The New News Thread.

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: The New News Thread.

Postby action » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:02 pm

Elessar wrote:
action wrote:Image

parents pay money to let their children play in these cages

can you imagine that? a cage! poor children :(

Take a step back and look at what you’ve just posted. I don’t think this is you. I don’t want to believe you’re truly such a heartless bastard that you’d compare children being held in cages having been forcibly separated from their parents to kids going to a McDonald’s play area.

I dont see a single child in that picture (from the link you posted). let alone Trump who is in the process of putting them in there

you made the witticism to claim that "trump puts babies in cages", I asked proof and you produced a picture of adults in a cage.

You made the unfouded statement, not me.
I see you standing there. You think you so cool. Why don't you just..... fuck off!

action
Don't Stop Me Now

I know what's right and what's wrong

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:03 pm

WeeMann wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:Not from the little I have read. I do not see any veiled threats from him, like there was from Obama. Although, I am no supporter of Trump so I do not read much of what he says anyway; if he has made similar veiled threats then I would find him equally as annoying.

It's made big news over the last couple of days, you don't have to look far to find his comments:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6766531/t ... -deal-off/

I know about The Sun interview. But, as I stated, I do not read many Trump-related articles/interviews. I know he made some silly comments, but I do not recall reading any veiled threats from him (like Obama); and, if he did then I put him in the same bracket as Obama.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Elessar » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:14 pm

You say Obama shouldn’t tell the UK how to run its affairs. Fair enough.

But why should you, a random Brit, be entitled to tell the US President how the USA should conduct its trading relationship with a post-Brexit UK? That’s an American decision, not a British decision, and if he chooses to share his stance with the British people, that’s a generous piece of insight from him, given that it’s likely Clinton would have maintained the same stance, and rightly or wrongly she was favourite to win the 2016 election.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:18 pm

Elessar wrote:You say Obama shouldn’t tell the UK how to run its affairs. Fair enough.

But why should you, a random Brit, be entitled to tell the US President how the USA should conduct its trading relationship with a post-Brexit UK? That’s an American decision, not a British decision, and if he chooses to share his stance with the British people, that’s a generous piece of insight from him, given that it’s likely Clinton would have maintained the same stance, and rightly or wrongly she was favourite to win the 2016 election.

But the scenario in your second paragraph would not even be spoken about if the scenario in your first sentence had not happened.

At the end of the day, he made a veiled threat. And it backfired.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Elessar » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:37 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
Elessar wrote:You say Obama shouldn’t tell the UK how to run its affairs. Fair enough.

But the scenario in your second paragraph would not even be spoken about if the scenario in your first sentence had not happened.

At the end of the day, he made a veiled threat. And it backfired.

But look - a threat is where you say you intend to do something as retribution for a specified action or inaction by the other party. Obama doesn’t give a shit about the UK being in the EU. I know he and Cameron came across as friends but I suspect it was mostly a one-way (westerly) friendship. Obama said what he did because Cameron asked him to. America will be fine with or without the UK. We need them more than they need us. He wasn’t threatening us, he was informing us. Maybe he worded it wrongly, and maybe he worded his criticisms of Trump wrongly as well because we are living in an anti-intellectualism era and perhaps he failed to appreciate it. But make no mistake: Obama wouldn’t have put the UK to the back of the queue to get revenge for his mate Dave; he’d have done it because he felt it was in his country’s best interests.

I don’t understand why you don’t get the distinction to be honest. When doctors warn parents who choose not to get their kids vaccinated with the MMR vaccine, and they talk about how dangerous measles can be, do you think they’re making veiled threats?

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:55 pm

Elessar wrote:
But look - a threat is where you say you intend to do something as retribution for a specified action or inaction by the other party. Obama doesn’t give a shit about the UK being in the EU. I know he and Cameron came across as friends but I suspect it was mostly a one-way (westerly) friendship. Obama said what he did because Cameron asked him to. America will be fine with or without the UK. We need them more than they need us. He wasn’t threatening us, he was informing us. Maybe he worded it wrongly, and maybe he worded his criticisms of Trump wrongly as well because we are living in an anti-intellectualism era and perhaps he failed to appreciate it. But make no mistake: Obama wouldn’t have put the UK to the back of the queue to get revenge for his mate Dave; he’d have done it because he felt it was in his country’s best interests.

I don’t understand why you don’t get the distinction to be honest. When doctors warn parents who choose not to get their kids vaccinated with the MMR vaccine, and they talk about how dangerous measles can be, do you think they’re making veiled threats?

“The UK is going to be in the back of the queue.” That sounds awfully like a threat to my ears (and many others). So, to say he could have used different words is not good enough; otherwise, we could all take that stance: I mean, can you imagine your response if a UKIP supporter said the same about Farage's Romanians comment? Oh, he worded it wrongly...yeah, like you'd accept that.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Elessar » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:02 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
Elessar wrote:

“The UK is going to be in the back of the queue.” That sounds awfully like a threat to my ears (and many others). So, to say he could have used different words is not good enough; otherwise, we could all take that stance: I mean, can you imagine your response if a UKIP supporter said the same about Farage's Romanians comment? Oh, he worded it wrongly...yeah, like you'd accept that.

“If you choose not to get your kids vaccinated they might die a horrible death”

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:15 pm

Elessar wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:

Citing medical advice to furnish your stance on this simply does not work. If we take your way of looking at things, we could use a multitude of different contexts to help justify the meaning behind any number of quotes.

Would you accept an example in any context to help justify Farage's Romanians comment? I don't think you would. He said what he said. Same as Obama.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Elessar » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:23 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
Elessar wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:

Citing medical advice to furnish your stance on this simply does not work. If we take your way of looking at things, we could use a multitude of different contexts to help justify the meaning behind any number of quotes.

Would you accept an example in any context to help justify Farage's Romanians comment? I don't think you would. He said what he said. Same as Obama.

Farage said something about not wanting to live near Romanians.

Obama gave his opinion on the future of US trade relations with a post-Brexit UK

The two are completely different. Obama was US president and he was talking about the USA’s stance on the effect of Brexit on the USA. Totally valid comments.

The only reason why the UK is NOT at the back of the queue now is because Trump got elected. Celebrate that if you like, but the point is that Obama was speaking as a Democrat.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:36 pm

Just to be clear - criticising the man’s policy, fair enough! We’re the UK, one of America’s oldest allies, we should be front of the queue, not the back!

Criticising him for TELLING us his policy - what?! Would we rather just live in ignorance and find out when it’s all too late? Actually don’t answer that, recent history suggests the answer is yes.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby WeeMann » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:41 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
WeeMann wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:Not from the little I have read. I do not see any veiled threats from him, like there was from Obama. Although, I am no supporter of Trump so I do not read much of what he says anyway; if he has made similar veiled threats then I would find him equally as annoying.

It's made big news over the last couple of days, you don't have to look far to find his comments:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6766531/t ... -deal-off/

I know about The Sun interview. But, as I stated, I do not read many Trump-related articles/interviews. I know he made some silly comments, but I do not recall reading any veiled threats from him (like Obama); and, if he did then I put him in the same bracket as Obama.

This is the only bit you have to read - it comes across as a threat to me. Or are you more satisfied with this as it's less veiled?

... he warned her any attempts to maintain close ties with the EU would make a lucrative US trade deal very unlikely.

Mr Trump said: “If they do a deal like that, we would be dealing with the European Union instead of dealing with the UK, so it will probably kill the deal.”
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby Elessar » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:59 pm

WeeMann wrote:This is the only bit you have to read - it comes across as a threat to me. Or are you more satisfied with this as it's less veiled?

Or because it’s from a......orange man.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:37 am

Elon Musk you f*cking idiot. We (the good guys) were all rooting for you.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... do-twitter

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:58 am

Elessar wrote:Elon Musk you f*cking idiot. We (the good guys) were all rooting for you.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... do-twitter

To elaborate: I’ve ALWAYS believed that the solutions to the world’s problems lie in free-market capitalist based enterprises. Tesla can save the word from its reliance on oil through supply and demand far more effectively than any government can through taxation. Likewise you can give NASA a few trillion dollars and they’ll probably get to Mars; Musk’s ambition with SpaceX is to develop technology that is profitable at every incremental step so that it pays for itself, and use that money and technology to get to Mars. Clearly that’s the way forward.

The man’s a visionary, and probably a Republican actually (though not a fan of Trump), so it’s heartbreaking to see him ruin his own reputation, especially when companies like Tesla rely so much on reputation at the moment.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:26 pm

WeeMann wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:

This is the only bit you have to read - it comes across as a threat to me. Or are you more satisfied with this as it's less veiled?

... he warned her any attempts to maintain close ties with the EU would make a lucrative US trade deal very unlikely.

Mr Trump said: “If they do a deal like that, we would be dealing with the European Union instead of dealing with the UK, so it will probably kill the deal.”

Well, if the quote is spot on then I concur that, yes, this sounds like a threat. So, yes, this sort of warning is just as bad as Obama's.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World