The New News Thread.

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: The New News Thread.

Postby Elessar » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:32 am

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politic ... 08081.html

On one hand, Rowan Atkinson is right. It was an okay joke (it wasn’t particularly funny though, and certainly wasn’t original). And we certainly shouldn’t be afraid of offending people on the basis of religion when making jokes.

However, BoJo is a serving MP, not a comedian. He has responsibilities, and making jokes at the expense of Muslims is not behaviour befitting of a Member of Parliament, unless the government’s policy is to allow mockery of Muslims.

Elessar

Postby action » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:35 am

Elessar wrote:By the way, the UK doesn’t have a constitution.

oh, you're quite wrong on that front. you see, the UK doesn't "seem" to have a constition, but it certainly has constitutional law.

for one thing, the european treaty on human rights applies in the UK too. the ETHR is generally referred to as "constitutional law" and part of the fundamental human rights that apply in the ETHR member states. try to make a law that abolishes the equality of men and women for instance, and see how quick the european court on human rights will sue your ass. (your being the UK's ass). and no, too bad, the brexit doesn't change anything from that.

Since you think you know about this, I'll refer you to further study material (every day is a school day they say. it's ok, I don't know everything either)

https://www.e-ir.info/2017/07/27/implic ... an-rights/

In second year law, they teach you it's part of the "constitution" in the sense of being a hierarchically higher law which can't be undone by 'regular' law or jurisdiction.
Why stand on a silent platform?

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Elessar » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:13 am

They actually teach it in the second week of UK law school (I did four weeks of law school, remember), but there’s still no ‘constitution’, but rather ‘constitutional law’. So allowing burkhas would be against constitutional law rather than against ‘the constitution’. But in any case both are incorrect unless you can prove that a woman who says she wants to wear the burkha is either saying so under duress or lacks capacity to make her own decisions. In keeping with the Mental Capacity Act I assume that all adults have capacity until proven otherwise, even those without penises.

Elessar

Postby action » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:25 am

Elessar wrote:They actually teach it in the second week of UK law school (I did four weeks of law school, remember), but there’s still no ‘constitution’, but rather ‘constitutional law’. So allowing burkhas would be against constitutional law rather than against ‘the constitution’. But in any case both are incorrect unless you can prove that a woman who says she wants to wear the burkha is either saying so under duress or lacks capacity to make her own decisions. In keeping with the Mental Capacity Act I assume that all adults have capacity until proven otherwise, even those without penises.

rubbish.

you can't prove a woman is acting under duress or not.

like I said, it's the same with rape. With rape victims our first reaction is not "she may have been acting out of free will, so you have to prove it was against her will". No, with rape it is enough to prove some sort of physical harm. When physical harm is proven, the burden of proof lies on the offender, the rapist, to prove the victim acted on free will regardless.

I argue, that the burqa ITSELF, is comparable to the physical harm done to the rape victim. The burden of proof lies on the husband, to prove that the woman acted out of free will. It's not "us" that need to prove there was NO free will.

Serious, fundamental human rights are violated, I can't stress that enough. The burden of proof does not lies to me, but with the scumbag husband who treats his woman like a piece of fucking furniture.

You are morally wrong in this discussion, there is no question about that.

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Elessar » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:27 am

Women who are raped don’t tend to try to persuade the white knights that want to save them that they actually did consent.

Elessar

Postby Elessar » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:29 am

phpBB [video]

Elessar

Postby action » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:31 am

Elessar wrote:Women who are raped don’t tend to try to persuade the white knights that want to save them that they actually did consent.

I wouldn't want to feed the women who are raped by their husband and who are afraid to file a complaint.

Your lack of caution regarding fundamental human rights to half of the world population, is worrying.

you should apply more caution, more scepcis. But no, your premise is "women can choose for themselves, unless proven otherwise", while it should be the other way around. Women are NOT treated equally by many, many men. See all these women right movements, they exist for a reason.

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Elessar » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:37 am

action wrote:Women are NOT treated equally by many, many men. See all these women right movements, they exist for a reason.

They’re not being treated equally by you. Would you have an issue with a man wearing a ski mask?

Elessar

Postby action » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:42 am

Elessar wrote:
action wrote:Women are NOT treated equally by many, many men. See all these women right movements, they exist for a reason.

They’re not being treated equally by you. Would you have an issue with a man wearing a ski mask?

:lol:

coffee time! :biggrin:

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Elessar » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:45 am

It's not about the burkha. It's about men oppressing women.

Men shouldn't force women to wear burkhas.
Men shouldn't stop women from wearing burkhas.
Men shouldn't force women to aspire to a Size Zero ideal.
Men shouldn't stop women for aspiring to a Size Zero ideal.
Men shouldn't see a woman's skimpy outfit as an invitation to have non-consensual sex.

It's really fucking simple, and it has nothing to do with the burkha or Islam.

Elessar

Postby Elessar » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:54 am

Who's the oppressor again?

Elessar

Postby action » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:05 am

Elessar wrote:Who's the oppressor again?

anecdotal evidence

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Elessar » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:06 am

action wrote:
Elessar wrote:Who's the oppressor again?

anecdotal evidence

Whereas you haven't even provided anecdotal evidence, just speculation.

Elessar

Postby JLP » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:08 am

Fascinating stuff. Women's rights being defended whilst in another thread, same poster agrees with shutting them up. :lol:
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby action » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:17 am

JLP wrote:Fascinating stuff. Women's rights being defended whilst in another thread, same poster agrees with shutting them up. :lol:

pretty confident I'm at the right side of the argument on this one.

your lack of stance on the burqa speaks volumes.

action
Don't Stop Me Now

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World