The New News Thread.

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: The New News Thread.

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:27 pm

icy wrote:I don't think arming teachers is the answer at all. I think it could add more problems instead of solving it.

I completely agree. I even have a few friends on Facebook who are teachers, and they're 100% against it. It just seems to be asking for more trouble really. Like, if we have a bunch of teachers carrying guns, who's to say one of THEM isn't gonna flip out one day?

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:29 pm

julymorning wrote:Question, why is it the very few times I come into this board to post something I consider halfway intelligent, and thought provoking, and it is completely ignored?

Maybe you should post completely UNintelligent things, see if you get a better response. :lol:

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby Roger » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:06 pm

The__KingOfRhye wrote:
icy wrote:I don't think arming teachers is the answer at all. I think it could add more problems instead of solving it.

I completely agree. I even have a few friends on Facebook who are teachers, and they're 100% against it. It just seems to be asking for more trouble really. Like, if we have a bunch of teachers carrying guns, who's to say one of THEM isn't gonna flip out one day?

Jim Jefferies makes that point in his stand-up. He’s a comedian, but his points about gun control are all very intelligently made. He makes the point that people who propose arming teachers clearly don’t remember what school was like. Remember that supply young supply teacher who on day 1, the kids at the back said to each other “We’re gonna make her cry!”. And then they start saying things like “You’re never gonna get married are you miss? Never gonna happen for ya!”. Let’s give her a gun and see what happens!

There’s also the danger of a teacher having a brief lapse in attention and a pupil swiping their gun from them. Give it enough time and I can guarantee it would happen.

Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby CNB » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:21 pm

Call the AR-15 the “Marco Rubio.”

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... arco-rubio
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby Roger » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:04 pm

Trump has called the school officer who failed to act ‘a coward’.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43174069

It’s an interesting stance to take, but then I suppose his stance is due to his bad feet.

Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby icy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:34 pm

The__KingOfRhye wrote:

What if the wrong person is injured or killed by a teacher?
I can't see teachers being allowed to carry guns as a good idea or even safer.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby Montavilla » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:41 pm

Roger wrote:Trump has called the school officer who failed to act ‘a coward’.

It’s an interesting stance to take, but then I suppose his stance is due to his bad feet.

I think it's interesting to see now that all the non-gun ban solutions that have been touted failed in this situation.

Is the solution for friends/teachers/family to be more aware of the warning signs? They were. They called authorities. Didn't help.

Is the solution for law enforcement to be more pro-active? They visited this guy more than 30 times. Still didn't stop it.

How about we put armed officers in the school. That'll work, right? Turns out, there was a guard there, and he didn't stop the shooter.
"You are right!!!!" - The Milkman
Maybe you should shut the fuck up? - fairydandy

Montavilla
The Show Must Go On

Postby Roger » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:08 pm

Montavilla wrote:
Roger wrote:Trump has called the school officer who failed to act ‘a coward’.

I think it's interesting to see now that all the non-gun ban solutions that have been touted failed in this situation.

Is the solution for friends/teachers/family to be more aware of the warning signs? They were. They called authorities. Didn't help.

Is the solution for law enforcement to be more pro-active? They visited this guy more than 30 times. Still didn't stop it.

How about we put armed officers in the school. That'll work, right? Turns out, there was a guard there, and he didn't stop the shooter.

I think that anyone who wants to keep their guns needs to be totally honest with themselves, and needs to admit that a few children being murdered is a price they're willing to pay. It really is now that simple. And anyone who considers themselves a 'good' person who supports guns - that's YOU.

Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby icy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:09 pm

Someone tried to send white powder to Meghan Markle and it's being treated as a hate crime.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby JLP » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:01 am

Could the Florida atrocity really be the pivotal moment in gun control?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43173753
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Roger » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:25 am

With the right leverage, it could well be. NRA’s influence is incredibly large given how small its population is compared to other far less powerful groups, eg atheists. I suspect the NRA could be starved out of existence with some strategic pressure. The problem is that the NRA is essentially a shell organisation for other interest, not least the weapons manufacturers.

Something similar is happening in the UK. Freedom of press is important, but if the public mount an organised campaign against anyone who advertises with hateful publications, they can be starved of funding. That, of course, is democracy in action, and anyone who claims that it’s censorship has fundamentally misunderstood freedom of speech and press.

Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby Innuendoes » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:10 am

Wonderful. I wonder who ordered them to stand down! 4 police officers all hiding outside while the shooting went on. OMG. Get rid of the police and let veterans in the schools to do the job. They are saying they would be happy to do so in the first place. Let the veterans do it. They're not cowards and they won't stand down on command, either.

https://news.americanewscentral.com/201 ... de-school/

Innuendoes

Postby Montavilla » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:18 am

Roger wrote:With the right leverage, it could well be. NRA’s influence is incredibly large given how small its population is compared to other far less powerful groups, eg atheists. I suspect the NRA could be starved out of existence with some strategic pressure. The problem is that the NRA is essentially a shell organisation for other interest, not least the weapons manufacturers.

Something similar is happening in the UK. Freedom of press is important, but if the public mount an organised campaign against anyone who advertises with hateful publications, they can be starved of funding. That, of course, is democracy in action, and anyone who claims that it’s censorship has fundamentally misunderstood freedom of speech and press.

Right. There could be pressure put on gun manufacturers, or on the stores that sell guns not to distribute AR-15s. That could happen without any legislation at all.
"You are right!!!!" - The Milkman
Maybe you should shut the fuck up? - fairydandy

Montavilla
The Show Must Go On

Postby Roger » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:22 am

Innuendoes wrote:Wonderful. I wonder who ordered them to stand down! 4 police officers all hiding outside while the shooting went on. OMG. Get rid of the police and let veterans in the schools to do the job. They are saying they would be happy to do so in the first place. Let the veterans do it. They're not cowards and they won't stand down on command, either.

https://news.americanewscentral.com/201 ... de-school/

Good idea!

Then Vietnam veteran Donald Trump could join them!

Oh hang on...

Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby Roger » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:28 am

Montavilla wrote:
Roger wrote:With the right leverage, it could well be. NRA’s influence is incredibly large given how small its population is compared to other far less powerful groups, eg atheists. I suspect the NRA could be starved out of existence with some strategic pressure. The problem is that the NRA is essentially a shell organisation for other interest, not least the weapons manufacturers.

Right. There could be pressure put on gun manufacturers, or on the stores that sell guns not to distribute AR-15s. That could happen without any legislation at all.

Exactly. Starve them of anything other than the support of their most hardcore loyalists. They’ll be left with very little.

I dabble in the stock market a wee bit. It’s difficult to have strong ethics when dealing with the financial sector, because let’s face it, any big business will be responsible for some shady practices. And as it’s basically just a hobby, playing around with numbers to hopefully return a profit slightly greater than any old high interest savings account (although so far I’ve massively outperformed the baseline, but enough of that), I don’t really have time to research the business practices of everyone I invest in and I’m well aware that I invest in some companies responsible for bad stuff (eg BP). However, I have two rules that I’m unshakeable on: No tobacco, no weapons.
I anticipated a big surge in GKN a few years ago. I was right. But they make weapons, so I didn’t invest.

If people do little things like that, it could make a difference. But it would need to be hundreds of thousands of people in a coordinated effort.

Roger
The Show Must Go On

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World