'Britain The Best Place To Live...'

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: 'Britain The Best Place To Live...'

Postby Elessar » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:31 am

I’m shocked that this could happen in such a ‘tolerant’ country:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-44730450

At a concert metabolic demand is likely to go up. The chances of a hypoglycaemic event are really quite high, and could be very dangerous. Very good news that the verdict went in favour of this girl.

Incidentally why has Lucozade gone shit recently? I get that sugar is apparently evil (it’s not), but it should be my decision to reduce my sugar intake, not the government’s.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby JLP » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:11 am

Just to provide some balance. A few years ago, Kate Bush released a song called Rubberband Girl. The video showed Kate dancing with a black male dancer. The video had to be remade for the US market as that would have offended people over there.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby JLP » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:13 am

Elessar wrote:I’m shocked that this could happen in such a ‘tolerant’ country:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-44730450

At a concert metabolic demand is likely to go up. The chances of a hypoglycaemic event are really quite high, and could be very dangerous. Very good news that the verdict went in favour of this girl.

Incidentally why has Lucozade gone shit recently? I get that sugar is apparently evil (it’s not), but it should be my decision to reduce my sugar intake, not the government’s.

But the Government needs the revenue from the sugar taxes to pay for all the extra benefits paid to the people we welcome here with open arms. ;)
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby JLP » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:57 am

Why should scum like this get compensation? If he was not such a nasty cunt, he would not have been in jail.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44737851
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:00 pm

Elessar wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:
The trouble with you is that you have become way too big for your boots. The reason for that is because you think you are untouchable on here, as you are backed by certain mods. You think you can throw around very harmful accusations whenever you please knowing full well that the mods here will allow you to do so.

What you are doing and have been doing is damaging this site. And this is not just me stating this - there are others who have left this site or who now only visit very infrequently because they are sick of being accused of god knows what. Fairydandy being one of the individuals who fucked off from her because he was getting sick of it all: 'I don't read this thread anymore. It's pretty pointless and it needs to be scrapped. It's the same old taunts and digs over and over from the same old people looking for racism when none is intended or implied.' He saw it too.

It's time to stop imagining things and then making accusations based on your warped way of looking at things. How many more people do we have to lose from this site because of your accusations? It should not be allowed

:lol:

fairydandy didn’t leave because of me.

Interesting, he was pro-Brexit but I was always able to disagree civilly with him. You had a fair few run ins with him though didn’t you? Funny that.

So who else on here has been throwing accusations of racism if not you? It's what you do.

Yeah, FD and myself had a few heated bitching sessions over recent years. But - as I have stated elsewhere - I respected his honesty (he doesn't try to be somebody he is not) and I respected the fact that he was for free speech and against all these racist accusations on here. So we found some common ground in the end thanks to you.

And, yes, you probably did disagree civilly with him...but then you never accused him of racism or some other nonsense.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:12 pm

JLP wrote:I dont know why people are getting upset over this tbread. No one has said Britain is not tolerant. People have only said jt might not be as tolerant as some people claim. But then, when Someone says tbey have never heard racist remarks except by tbose of ethnic minorities, you take what else is said with a pinch of salt.

Well, I can obviously only speak for myself, but I am not in the least bit upset. I am the one who started a positive thread on here. Since I made that thread I have been accused of blaming immigrants for fuck knows what and creating this thread out of hostility. Now, that is where things start getting negative. So you and Elly disagree with me? So what? But outlandish accusations surely do not have to be made too.

As for your view that everything I state should be taken with a pinch of salt simply because I said previously I have never heard racist remarks in the way you have, but I have heard racist remarks from muslims, for example - I really don't know what you want. Would you prefer I lied?

Do I have the disrespect to tell you that you speak shit when you state how you heard some white guy say something racist? No. I accept that that is your experience. But just because my experience does not fit with your political views then you have to accuse me of lying.

Maybe we should all be taking what you and Elly say with a pinch of salt - based on your logic. I mean, you are both pretty consistent with your views of racism and who is racist, etc. But, no, that's fine, because apparently you two are more entitled to your views and are both so very honest.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby JLP » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:27 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
JLP wrote:I dont know why people are getting upset over this tbread. No one has said Britain is not tolerant. People have only said jt might not be as tolerant as some people claim. But then, when Someone says tbey have never heard racist remarks except by tbose of ethnic minorities, you take what else is said with a pinch of salt.

Well, I can obviously only speak for myself, but I am not in the least bit upset. I am the one who started a positive thread on here. Since I made that thread I have been accused of blaming immigrants for fuck knows what and creating this thread out of hostility. Now, that is where things start getting negative. So you and Elly disagree with me? So what? But outlandish accusations surely do not have to be made too.

As for your view that everything I state should be taken with a pinch of salt simply because I said previously I have never heard racist remarks in the way you have, but I have heard racist remarks from muslims, for example - I really don't know what you want. Would you prefer I lied?

Do I have the disrespect to tell you that you speak shit when you state how you heard some white guy say something racist? No. I accept that that is your experience. But just because my experience does not fit with your political views then you have to accuse me of lying.

Maybe we should all be taking what you and Elly say with a pinch of salt - based on your logic. I mean, you are both pretty consistent with your views of racism and who is racist, etc. But, no, that's fine, because apparently you two are more entitled to your views and are both so very honest.

Ah but I never said I have not heard racism from the lips of non Caucasians. See I consider the comment made by Garage about not living next door to Romanians because they tend to be criminals very racist. That was during the referendum. Did you really not read or hear about tbat? If so, do you think it is not racist? Or Trump saying immigrants are animals. Or someone who used to post here saying Mexicans were rapists?

All said by white people.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:31 pm

musicalprostitute wrote: I said previously I have never heard racist remarks in the way you have, but I have heard racist remarks from muslims, for example

Wait, are you saying you've never heard racist remarks from white people? (since that was what JLP said you said, and you didn't really correct him...)

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:43 pm

JLP wrote:

Ah but I never said I have not heard racism from the lips of non Caucasians. See I consider the comment made by Garage about not living next door to Romanians because they tend to be criminals very racist. That was during the referendum. Did you really not read or hear about tbat? If so, do you think it is not racist? Or Trump saying immigrants are animals. Or someone who used to post here saying Mexicans were rapists?

All said by white people.

Look, the thing is you and I actually agree about much of this. None of us (well, those of us who are not ignorant) want to see any form of prejudice in this day and age.

Where you and I differ is that you seem to think that racism is predominantly created by white people - hence why you qualified your first paragraph with the line 'all said by white people'. I acknowledge that some white people are racist; but no more so than some black people, some Muslims, etc.

And we differ on the definition of racism too. I mean, I think only marrying those from your own race could be seen as racist, but many, many Muslims do so without any accusations; turn that on its head and say it was white people stating they only wanted to marry other white people and there would be an absolute shit storm.

I just think it is right to give a fair picture of things and not be one-sided.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:48 pm

The__KingOfRhye wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote: I said previously I have never heard racist remarks in the way you have, but I have heard racist remarks from muslims, for example

Wait, are you saying you've never heard racist remarks from white people? (since that was what JLP said you said, and you didn't really correct him...)

That is exactly what I stated. I am talking personal experience here (not from TV, etc.). Nope, I have never heard racism in my social circles.

I am guessing you would prefer me to lie too? Well, I won't. That is the truth and you can accept it or not.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:18 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:That is exactly what I stated. I am talking personal experience here (not from TV, etc.). Nope, I have never heard racism in my social circles.

I am guessing you would prefer me to lie too? Well, I won't. That is the truth and you can accept it or not.

I'm not going to tell you to lie, I guess I'll take your word for it, but I just find it hard to believe, when compared to my own experience. I'm not saying most white people I knew were racist, or that it was limited to white people either...but I can definitely say I knew some racist white people. Either you have a more enlightened kind of "social circles" than I have had, or it's just different outside of the US, or maybe we have different ideas of what is racism.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:47 pm

The__KingOfRhye wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:That is exactly what I stated. I am talking personal experience here (not from TV, etc.). Nope, I have never heard racism in my social circles.

I'm not going to tell you to lie, I guess I'll take your word for it, but I just find it hard to believe, when compared to my own experience. I'm not saying most white people I knew were racist, or that it was limited to white people either...but I can definitely say I knew some racist white people. Either you have a more enlightened kind of "social circles" than I have had, or it's just different outside of the US, or maybe we have different ideas of what is racism.

I think the last clause of your paragraph says a lot: '...maybe we have different ideas of what is racism'. None of you (you, JLP, Elly) seem to be able to accept an experience which differs from your own; you have to either tell me I am lying or - in your case - qualify your response by suggesting that maybe I have a different idea of racism than yourself...which is a bit of a sly dig.

Why can't any of you accept that people have different experiences in life? Surely, being Left-leaning types you should all be for acceptance (which includes accepting people have different views and different life experiences).

I, myself, have been a victim of racism...and so I know full well how 'orrible it all is. When I was a young man I nearly got beaten up by a large group of black men in Brixton, London. My crime? I had walked into a black-only café (in my own country). Do I now view all black people as racist? Of course not. But I know from first-hand experience that they are just as bad as white people; simply, it does not matter what colour someone is when it comes to being racist.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:55 pm

The__KingOfRhye wrote:

I just wanted to add something to my last response to you, as something has just come to me. Yes, thinking back (many years ago), I did witness white on black racism at one point in my life (probably about 30 years ago now, which is why it was obviously not fresh in my mind); one of my best friends was black and did put up with some shit from some morons.

I had totally forgotten this episode of my life (which is understandable considering how long ago it was), but I wanted to be honest (even though I suspect I will now be shot down for it by one or two others on here) and state it here.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby JLP » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:25 pm

I have neither said not implied in this thread that anyone is racist. I just feel that the grass is not as green as it might be painted. However it is certainly greener than the other side of some of the hills.

When a teenager can be brutally murdered and the police bury, ignore this or completely disregard evidence that points to the killers, something is very wrong. Thankfully two of his killers were eventually brought to justice thanks to a good old fashioned copper.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:46 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
I think the last clause of your paragraph says a lot: '...maybe we have different ideas of what is racism'. None of you (you, JLP, Elly) seem to be able to accept an experience which differs from your own; you have to either tell me I am lying or - in your case - qualify your response by suggesting that maybe I have a different idea of racism than yourself...which is a bit of a sly dig.

Why can't any of you accept that people have different experiences in life? Surely, being Left-leaning types you should all be for acceptance (which includes accepting people have different views and different life experiences).

I didn't really mean that as a "sly dig," I was just saying some people think certain things are racist and some people don't. Maybe it isn't always unambiguous, maybe we have different perspectives. Haven't you yourself talked about how you think some people ("lefties" I think you usually call them) see racism when you don't think it's there? I wouldn't be at all surprised if I could find a couple things that happened in your life that you didn't think were examples of racism but I would.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World