Brexit Poll

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Which of the following options do you support in Brexit?

Poll ended at Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:52 pm

Second Referendum
67%
Prime Minister's Deal
No votes
No Deal
33%

Total votes : 6

Brexit Poll

Postby JLP » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:52 pm

Sky are reporting that a poll shows that 54% of people now support a second referendum following Theresa Mays deal offered.

Where do you stand?
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Re: Brexit Poll

Postby Nicki79 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:10 pm

I guess you are asking British citizens, right?

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby fairydandy » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:27 pm

JLP wrote:Sky are reporting that a poll shows that 54% of people now support a second referendum following Theresa Mays deal offered.

Where do you stand?

We've had the vote. If we had another one and it was indeed 54% to leave, should we have another one two years after that because the polls have gone the other way again?

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby WeeMann » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:15 am

fairydandy wrote:
JLP wrote:Sky are reporting that a poll shows that 54% of people now support a second referendum following Theresa Mays deal offered.

Where do you stand?

We've had the vote. If we had another one and it was indeed 54% to leave, should we have another one two years after that because the polls have gone the other way again?

Just so long as you realise that this logic means a Conservative government for ever.

Plus, we voted to join the Common Market, so we can't change our mind now.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby Elessar » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:21 am

WeeMann wrote:
fairydandy wrote:

Where do you stand?

Just so long as you realise that this logic means a Conservative government for ever.

I’m angry that DIsraeli isn’t prime minister any more. It’s an affront to our democracy.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby WeeMann » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:31 am

Less flippantly, I'm hearing more and more people saying "Perhaps we should re-think this" and fewer offering the "I voted for leave and therefore you must deliver" line. Should we step off a cliff because of what I suspect is an ever dwindling minority?
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Postby Elessar » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:46 am

WeeMann wrote:Less flippantly, I'm hearing more and more people saying "Perhaps we should re-think this" and fewer offering the "I voted for leave and therefore you must deliver" line. Should we step off a cliff because of what I suspect is an ever dwindling minority?

The cult of Brexit is almost like a religion. Rather than taking the scientific approach of re-evaluating the situation in the face of increased evidence, they want to stick to what we thought we knew 2 years ago.

What worries me is that if there was a new referendum Leave would still win. The best solution would be to ask the country’s (and world’s) leading economists to go away and work out what’s best for the country.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby fairydandy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:04 am

WeeMann wrote:Just so long as you realise that this logic means a Conservative government for ever.

What logic? I merely asked a question...one that you haven't answered. Should we have another vote every time public opinion changes? I bet you are going to say no...me too.

Oh, and we didn't vote to join the common market.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby WeeMann » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:41 am

fairydandy wrote:
WeeMann wrote:Just so long as you realise that this logic means a Conservative government for ever.

What logic? I merely asked a question...one that you haven't answered. Should we have another vote every time public opinion changes? I bet you are going to say no...me too.

Oh, and we didn't vote to join the common market.

Sorry, I assumed it was a rhetorical question. My point stands though - public opinion is constantly changing on many issues and this is one reason we have general and local elections on a regular basis.

So my answer is "Yes."

The way you talk, no-one is ever allowed the luxury of changing their mind in the light of new evidence. That's plainly ridiculous.

As for the vote to join the common market, it's kind of a technicality - we didn't vote on the original decision, but the vote was taken in 1973 to remain (67.2% - 32.8%).

https://www.parliament.uk/about/living- ... opean-act/

WeeMann

Postby fairydandy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:15 am

WeeMann wrote:
As for the vote to join the common market, it's kind of a technicality - we didn't vote on the original decision, but the vote was taken in 1973 to remain (67.2% - 32.8%).

It's not a technicality at all. We didn't vote to join the common market!

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby fairydandy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:16 am

WeeMann wrote:

So my answer is "Yes."

Good, so in two years after the second referendum, we can have a third.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby WeeMann » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:43 am

fairydandy wrote:
WeeMann wrote:

So my answer is "Yes."

Good, so in two years after the second referendum, we can have a third.

No reason why not. Although after this fuck up, someone had better have a damned good plan before they allow a vote.

WeeMann

Postby Elessar » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:01 pm

We shouldn’t have referendums/referenda on anything. We elect our MPs to make informed decisions on our behalf, using their knowledge and reflecting our values. Resorting to a referendum is a a complete shirking if responsibility. We employ them to make these hard decisions and they’re too afraid of getting it wrong so they defer responsibility back to us. So what exactly is the point of them?

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Sole Survivor » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:30 pm

We already had our second referendum, in June 2016. The first one was whether to stay in the common market. Keep holding different polls until the public votes the way the powers that be want them to, is the EU's way of doing things. Irish people will know this. We are effectively being given punishment beatings for even daring to think of leaving, and if we decide at the last moment to remain now, we'll be shoehorned into the Euro and the European Army, with fuck all say in whether or not we wanted it. The main problem with our political stance at the moment is that we have a pro-remain PM, who is desperate to get any deal at any price, effectively throwing this country's future under a bus to hold on to power- and Corbyn's lot would happily do the same to get a sniff of it. (The shadow chancellor recently suggested the collectivisation of all UK farms- that went well for Ukraine when Stalin did it, didn't it? 22 million starved, and many resorted to cannibalism to survive.)

We have never had a referendum to join the EEC, or the EU- we had one to stay in, in the seventies, after we were put in there by the incumbent PM, and we were taken from there to the EU without any consent or clue as to how it would affect us all. We have now HAD our second referendum, where we voted to leave, and our PM should honour that vote.
Love now 'till Eternity...
"We are living in an era of 'woke' capitalism, in which companies pretend to care about social justice in order to sell products to people who pretend to hate capitalism."

Sole Survivor
Spread Your Wings

Rock and roll dream Not what it seems Who is the dreamer now?

Return to Views Of The World