The UK is a 'Third World' country

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: The UK is a 'Third World' country

Postby Delilah » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:22 am

Innuendoes wrote:
Pastieman.Steve wrote:How can the catholic doctrine be different in the UK and Europe to the USA? :? Surely a faith is a faith and it is the same the world over?

I've read things Belle has said about the church and I know she is talking about how it is there in the UK. It's just slightly different.

Latin America is way different in so many ways and I am referring to the RCC in Latin America. There are processions and parades and ceremonies that they have that I don't believe are anywhere else unless it's Spain or Italy.

Take for instace Our Lady of Guadalupe and her feast day. Do you know who that is? Does Belle? Is her feast day celebrated in the UK? I sorta doubt it, especially the celebrations. It's VERY big in Mexico and South America, though. It's also somewhat big in my church since my priest is Mexican and we have a huge Mexican congregation.

Even in the US, the Catholic population is generally more liberal than the evangelical Protestant population. Catholics in the UK and US are less likely to actually follow Catholic doctrine, but they do call themselves Catholic whether they even bother to attend church more than once per year. You don't have saints in the US, but you have Jesus on a piece of toast every other day. Protestants own the crazy here. :P

But please, Belle is one train of thought away from being an atheist. :P

Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t

Postby Loretta » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:33 am

Delilah wrote:Even in the US, the Catholic population is generally more liberal than the evangelical Protestant population. Catholics in the UK and US are less likely to actually follow Catholic doctrine, but they do call themselves Catholic whether they even bother to attend church more than once per year. You don't have saints in the US, but you have Jesus on a piece of toast every other day. Protestants own the crazy here. :P

Last edited by Loretta on Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Loretta
We Will Rock You

Postby Innuendoes » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:34 am

Loretta wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:
Loretta wrote:Just a quick reminder to my American friends... the reason this has been a hot topic of debate is because the Pope is visiting the UK, and there's been nothing else in the news over here. The majority of members on the board are UK/Eire based, so this is isn't a sudden unprovoked attack on everyone who's a catholic, it's topical debate over here.

Yes, I know, but thanks.

When the Pope comes here (not Benedict because I don't think he's been here, yet) there are never protests and carrying on over here like there is over there. If he comes here and there is, I am pretty sure it will be quite minimal compared to what I am seeing on your news sites and youtub videos over there.

We're a much smaller, more concentrated country... if you want to protest about something, you only have to travel at the very most 1000 miles... and that's only if you live right in the islands and the protest is in the other islands. Generally, you're never more than 300 miles from a major city. So of course when protests happen here, they're far more news-worthy, because they look better.

I just wanted to add that my response looks rude to me. I didn't mean it to be. I meant I knew but thank you, anyway. lol.

You do have to admit, yes? that the Catholic church and/or catholics have been prosecuted in the UK since Henry Viii, right?

Innuendoes

Postby Innuendoes » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:37 am

Delilah wrote:Even in the US, the Catholic population is generally more liberal than the evangelical Protestant population. Catholics in the UK and US are less likely to actually follow Catholic doctrine, but they do call themselves Catholic whether they even bother to attend church more than once per year. You don't have saints in the US, but you have Jesus on a piece of toast every other day. Protestants own the crazy here. :P

WOAH, not so, not so. We do have saints here, for sure, and they play a large part in our church services and even moreso, our religion.

Innuendoes

Postby Innuendoes » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:39 am

Loretta wrote:

That is really a lousy version of that song. :lol: :lol:

Innuendoes

Postby Loretta » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:43 am

Innuendoes wrote:I just wanted to add that my response looks rude to me. I didn't mean it to be. I meant I knew but thank you, anyway. lol.

You do have to admit, yes? that the Catholic church and/or catholics have been prosecuted in the UK since Henry Viii, right?

S'okay, I didn't take it as rude.

I've not actually been aware of any persecution (I assume that was what you meant... we prosecute anyone here) in my lifetime, inspite of the Anglo/Irish conflict. Historically, yes, I'm aware of the purging of catholics in exactly the same way I'm aware of the inquisition. Hopefully we've all moved on from there.

Loretta
We Will Rock You

Postby Delilah » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:43 am

Innuendoes wrote:

WOAH, not so, not so. We do have saints here, for sure, and they play a large part in our church services and even moreso, our religion.

No, wait...I'm talking about digging up the dead people who didn't decompose as much as they were expected to, not whether or not saints played a part in your worship services.

Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t

Postby Loretta » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:45 am

Innuendoes wrote:
Loretta wrote:

That is really a lousy version of that song. :lol: :lol:

I'm sure I heard a Tom Lehrer version, but I couldn't find it, so thought I'd go with what may or may not be the original :P

Loretta
We Will Rock You

Postby Innuendoes » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:47 am

My buddy, Gabie, the guy that went to Burnin Man does a fantastic job of it. I only have it on a tape so I can't load it. When I heard him sing it I damn near pissed my pants laughing. LOL!!!

Innuendoes

Postby fairydandy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:41 pm

Now the parting of the red sea is explained...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11383620

How much longer can religion survive? People aren't stupid are they? :roll:

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby JLP » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:47 pm

fairydandy wrote:Now the parting of the red sea is explained...

No idea fd but I guess it will.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby fairydandy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:53 pm

I was watching the new Stephen Hawking documentary the other day and he said that there are hundreds of billions of galaxies out there and as I understand it there are around 100,000,000,000 stars in the galaxy that we live in alone.

Sure, the Pope is important. :roll:

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby fairydandy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:55 pm

JLP wrote:
fairydandy wrote:Now the parting of the red sea is explained...

No idea fd but I guess it will.

While we brainwash our children it will keep going...but I think that deep down people really know that it's not true. I think it's like being hypnotised, in that you know it's happening but you just can't stop it.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby LittleBabyNothing » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:00 pm

fairydandy wrote:I was watching the new Stephen Hawking documentary the other day and he said that there are hundreds of billions of galaxies out there and as I understand it there are around 100,000,000,000 stars in the galaxy that we live in alone.

Actually, I was told recently that there's roughly 250 billion stars in our galaxy and there are 300 to 400 billion galaxies out there.

In simple terms: there are more stars in the universe than all the grains of sand from all the beaches in the world.
“Why can’t I try on different lives, like dresses, to see which fits best and is more becoming?” - Sylvia Plath.

LittleBabyNothing
We Will Rock You

Postby fairydandy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:06 pm

LittleBabyNothing wrote:
fairydandy wrote:I was watching the new Stephen Hawking documentary the other day and he said that there are hundreds of billions of galaxies out there and as I understand it there are around 100,000,000,000 stars in the galaxy that we live in alone.

Actually, I was told recently that there's roughly 250 billion stars in our galaxy and there are 300 to 400 billion galaxies out there.

In simple terms: there are more stars in the universe than all the grains of sand from all the beaches in the world.

It's staggering, simply staggering.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World