The UK is a 'Third World' country

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: The UK is a 'Third World' country

Postby ice on fire » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:07 pm

Put like that, its pretty incredbile.

ice on fire

Postby LittleBabyNothing » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:16 pm

fairydandy wrote:
LittleBabyNothing wrote:
fairydandy wrote:I was watching the new Stephen Hawking documentary the other day and he said that there are hundreds of billions of galaxies out there and as I understand it there are around 100,000,000,000 stars in the galaxy that we live in alone.

Sure, the Pope is important. :roll:

Actually, I was told recently that there's roughly 250 billion stars in our galaxy and there are 300 to 400 billion galaxies out there.

In simple terms: there are more stars in the universe than all the grains of sand from all the beaches in the world.

It's staggering, simply staggering.

I've been involved with astronomy for 14 years now (on a more or less professional level) and I'm so used to it by now that I've kind of lost the "wow" factor. I'm trying to convince myself that the wow factor was what brought me to astronomy and that I don't need to understand everything because that would be pretty boring.

I'm also trying to stop reading up on modern astronomy, because my research is ancient astronomy and they didn't know about stellar astrophysics, black holes, lightyears, etc. I wanna feel what they felt when they looked up to the sky.
“Why can’t I try on different lives, like dresses, to see which fits best and is more becoming?” - Sylvia Plath.

LittleBabyNothing
We Will Rock You

Postby LittleBabyNothing » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:18 pm

ice on fire wrote:Put like that, its pretty incredbile.

I find it more than just incredible, it's pretty awesome in the original sense of the word ("awe-inspiring").
“Why can’t I try on different lives, like dresses, to see which fits best and is more becoming?” - Sylvia Plath.

LittleBabyNothing
We Will Rock You

Postby ice on fire » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:21 pm

LittleBabyNothing wrote:

I find it more than just incredible, it's pretty awesome in the original sense of the word ("awe-inspiring").

Agreed :thumbsup:

ice on fire

Postby JLP » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:25 pm

LittleBabyNothing wrote:

i used to love looking up at the star filled sky as a boy. Now in the cities, you can barely see any start at all.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby ice on fire » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:31 pm

I still do that, the sky in the prairies is outstanding.

ice on fire

Postby WeeMann » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:36 pm

JLP wrote:i used to love looking up at the star filled sky as a boy. Now in the cities, you can barely see any start at all.

I visited Ace the weekend of the volcano, just as all the planes were grounded. On the Saturday night we all walked to the pub in his village (nestled well away from any major town or city) and the view of a uniquely clear sky was absolutely staggering. I grew up in a little village on the coast with very little street lighting and I don't remember ever seeing anything quite as incredible as the view that night.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby Loretta » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:35 am

WeeMann wrote:
JLP wrote:i used to love looking up at the star filled sky as a boy. Now in the cities, you can barely see any start at all.

I visited Ace the weekend of the volcano, just as all the planes were grounded. On the Saturday night we all walked to the pub in his village (nestled well away from any major town or city) and the view of a uniquely clear sky was absolutely staggering. I grew up in a little village on the coast with very little street lighting and I don't remember ever seeing anything quite as incredible as the view that night.

The view around Ace's is staggering... I even wrote a ditty about it.

Loretta
We Will Rock You

Postby LittleBabyNothing » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:53 am

WeeMann wrote:

Grounding the planes made such a difference to the sky here in Vienna too! It took a few days for the atmosphere to clear, but I've not had that many nights with brilliant "seeing" in a long while and haven't had it since :(

LittleBabyNothing
We Will Rock You

Postby WeeMann » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:57 am

Loretta wrote:
WeeMann wrote:

The view around Ace's is staggering... I even wrote a ditty about it.

You should have seen it that night. Where were you?

Oh...

:lol:
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby the great pretender » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:56 pm

fairydandy wrote:
JLP wrote:They say he has gout. Wonder if he can get some fresh faced 12 year old to wash them for him.

He might not be an abuser. Apparently some of them aren't.

i hope you have proof that some aren't :D

the great pretender
Spread Your Wings

Postby Dusty » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:07 pm

:P

Dusty

Postby fairydandy » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:08 pm

What a half witted cretin this clown is.
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/damia ... y-bishops/

I have no problem with archbishops if they keep their idiotic mouths closed.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby ice on fire » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:34 pm

Not me, I would rather those types keep it up so we all can see what prats they are.

ice on fire

Postby Delilah » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:21 pm

What I can't for the life of me understand is what is it about the mechanics of sex between two of the same gender that gets these mens' panties all in a wad. I have done the exact same things that the average gay man will do with another man, and while it's fun, I don't understand what it is about such acts that is supposed to be setting the very universe ablaze with horror. It's so trivial, so simple. It's truly no big freakin' deal. I just don't get it. Such simple things inspire such hatred. And it makes absolutely no logical sense.

These religious leaders are so out of touch with the young people in our countries. They are not coming across as anything but utter and complete assholes.

Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World