La Pastèque

For all those forum games threads.
Posts made in this forum do not count towards your post count.

Re: La Pastèque

Postby Elessar » Sun May 01, 2011 9:11 pm

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Mon May 02, 2011 1:35 pm

Theories?

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Mon May 02, 2011 3:17 pm

PTRACER wrote:On monkeys? Or haiku-related conspiracies?

Were we on the money or were we wrong?

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Mon May 02, 2011 3:44 pm

Well, it turns out that Obama knew we were on the verge of getting Osama a few weeks ago. As for aliens...I doubt we've got any evidence at the moment. I suspect they do exist though, but obviously not on earth or as UFOs.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Belle Leisha » Mon May 02, 2011 4:36 pm

It would be an almighty coincidence if we were wrong.
But Eden is burning, either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage, of the changing of the guard

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

I'm a Restless Kinda Girl, There's No Turning Back Now!

Postby Belle Leisha » Mon May 02, 2011 10:32 pm

Slightly conflicted over Obama's speech. I want to believe he's genuine, but sometimes he does make some incredible comments. All races and religions united after 9/11, did they hell! But then his Islam comments took guts...

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Belle Leisha » Mon May 02, 2011 10:50 pm

Oh so did I, that what I mean, no they didn't! Following 9/11, and 7/7 here as it goes, there were loads of 'revenge attacks' on normal Muslim people, people reacted with blind hatred towards anyone wearing religious looking head garb. Here, someone even firebombed a SIKH temple. Some citizens did America proud, certainly, those in Manhatten who tried to help, the emergency services, people who sent tributes and anyone who didn't subsequently hate Muslims, but I remember a distinctly un-unified feeling for a long time, even people who are now very liberal by comparison, said terrible things back then. Understandably, but the picture he's painting seems to be an imaginary one.

The America-centricness is a bit annoying, but US Presidents have to do that. I wonder if the Tea Party will be all confused now because they think he's secretly Muslim/the anti-Christ and now he's killed the devil.

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Belle Leisha » Mon May 02, 2011 11:28 pm

Yeah, that's natural, but as you say, it's not rational. As time went on, I think a lot of people who had initially become very hostile and even prejudiced as a result of those attacks, started to feel they'd been used. In the midst of everyone's anger, two wars were started, which would never have slipped by without relying on the red mist still hanging over most of us. As has just came up in the other thread, I was 11, at the time, imagine how influential it was, I didn't know until years later that Islam had ever been viewed any differently. I don't know that 11yr olds go through the thought process of 'I'll rise above this'. I can only say what I think now, which is that it was a tragedy, a horrible, inexcusable attack masterminded by selfish, twisted, bastards. I don't believe that the death of thousands more innocent people to find one man is justified.

I get very exasperated by people thinking liberal mindedness or left wing thinking (I don't think you can be a liberal Marxist, liberalism is all about the individual, I'm very much for the collective), is seen as somehow contrived. I say whatever I think, I'm not going to pretend to be happy about this just to please people who feel differently. I don't think it helps the victims or family of the victims to see Americans having a street party ten years after the fact, or does anything to prevent a re occurrence, for ordinary people not to understand that more Muslims have dies as a result of Islamic terrorism than any other demographic.

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Belle Leisha » Tue May 03, 2011 12:16 am

PTRACER wrote:Well, this isn't an attack on you personally or liberal people in general, just a point of view, but I see it as a sort of weakness. "I'll rise above this" liberal mindedness leads to inaction, or action that is not strong enough to be useful. I let myself get beaten up at school and not once did I hit anyone back. That's being liberal for you. I ran away from every fight, not wanting to be on their level. I'd have probably saved myself a lot of trouble in the future by turning around and giving them a bloody nose back.

Again, I have never thought I'll rise above, I react with exactly what I feel. I think giving in to prejudices in anger is moral cowardice. I have never run away from a fight. I think, or really speaking I know, it's much, much harder to be the person defending against generalizations and prejudice, than agreeing with them.

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Elessar » Tue May 03, 2011 12:30 am

PTRACER wrote:
Elessar wrote:
PTRACER wrote:On monkeys? Or haiku-related conspiracies?

Incidentally, Day 1 is complete, no crossover has occurred and upon review of all dates and times, evidence is mounting in favour of the original hypothesis.

Also if you look at the time of the rise of the phoenix, it all adds up.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Tue May 03, 2011 12:31 am

Oh. that's what you meant by dates and times. Whoops. Still, great minds think alike!

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Belle Leisha » Tue May 03, 2011 12:32 am

PTRACER wrote:
Belle Leisha wrote:
PTRACER wrote:Well, this isn't an attack on you personally or liberal people in general, just a point of view, but I see it as a sort of weakness. "I'll rise above this" liberal mindedness leads to inaction, or action that is not strong enough to be useful. I let myself get beaten up at school and not once did I hit anyone back. That's being liberal for you. I ran away from every fight, not wanting to be on their level. I'd have probably saved myself a lot of trouble in the future by turning around and giving them a bloody nose back.

Again, I have never thought I'll rise above, I react with exactly what I feel. I think giving in to prejudices in anger is moral cowardice. I have never run away from a fight. I think, or really speaking I know, it's much, much harder to be the person defending against generalizations and prejudice, than agreeing with them.

Moral cowardice eh? I take back what I said, it is rational and it is logical. It's not "right", but it is human and also very normal.

Acting on it isn't rational, but not many people would do that. Of course it's human and normal to get angry, but to get angry and it not translate into general prejudice doesn't make you weird or too liberal or weak or any other generalization.

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Belle Leisha » Tue May 03, 2011 12:33 am

Elessar wrote:
PTRACER wrote:
Elessar wrote:

Incidentally, Day 1 is complete, no crossover has occurred and upon review of all dates and times, evidence is mounting in favour of the original hypothesis.

Also if you look at the time of the rise of the phoenix, it all adds up.

Can it not be verified?

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Elessar » Tue May 03, 2011 12:38 am

Belle Leisha wrote:
Elessar wrote:Also if you look at the time of the rise of the phoenix, it all adds up.

Can it not be verified?

Not by us mere mortals!

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Belle Leisha » Tue May 03, 2011 12:47 am

PTRACER wrote:
Belle Leisha wrote:Acting on it isn't rational, but not many people would do that. Of course it's human and normal to get angry, but to get angry and it not translate into general prejudice doesn't make you weird or too liberal or weak or any other generalization.

No, but I remember in discussions with other members here before, you could argue a very, very valid point, but if it even had the slightest aroma of being a mildly right wing statement, it would be disregarded and you'd get the "but what about the _____? Not all ____ " type statements coming out (for example). That's more cowardice than standing up and saying "Yes, I agree with you" or "Yes, I understand your point of view".

To be unable to show consternation shows a lack of strength.

Equally any statement which is left wing, or even simply by a poster known to generally be left wing, is dismissed as wishy washy/naive/liberal/etc.

If you can't look at an argument and admit you agree with it or that it at least makes sense even if you disagree, because of it's political leanings, then that is severely lacking in guts, yes. I don't think anyone has ever accused me of being unable to show consternation, I do very little else. :P

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

PreviousNext

Return to Fun In Cyberspace