2011-2012 Football Season.

Discuss any aspects of sports here.

Re: 2011-2012 Football Season.

Postby Cool Cat » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:27 pm

Elessar wrote:
Cool Cat wrote:He spent over 100 million on players, never mind how much he got back in, 100 million to finish 8th is not good enough, one of the reasons he now doesn't have a job.


Wow - don't ever go on Dragon's Den with that understanding of economics! They'll tear you to pieces.

If you sell a player for £50million and buy a replacement for £35million, you shouldn't expect your squad to be £35million better. That's insane logic.

Expand that, and spending £100million doesn't make you £100million worth of players better, if you also sold £65million worth.

He spent over 100m, so he must have thought he was getting value for money, but now he knows he got it very wrong.
 
Cool Cat
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

See Me In The Shadows

      
 
Posts: 4350
Images: 9
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:10 am
Location: Robin Hood Country
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: 2011-2012 Football Season.

Postby Elessar » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:31 pm

Cool Cat wrote:
Elessar wrote:
Cool Cat wrote:He spent over 100 million on players, never mind how much he got back in, 100 million to finish 8th is not good enough, one of the reasons he now doesn't have a job.


Wow - don't ever go on Dragon's Den with that understanding of economics! They'll tear you to pieces.

If you sell a player for £50million and buy a replacement for £35million, you shouldn't expect your squad to be £35million better. That's insane logic.

Expand that, and spending £100million doesn't make you £100million worth of players better, if you also sold £65million worth.

He spent over 100m, so he must have thought he was getting value for money, but now he knows he got it very wrong.


But regardless of the value for money Carroll was or wasn't, he had to replace Torres, who was pretty bloody good for most of his time at Liverpool. So even if Carroll HAD been a good signing, it was always unlikely that Liverpool would end up better off than they had been with Torres, and that's implied by the price difference between the two players.

Liverpool spent £100million on players, but had £65million worth of players to replace. I don't think Liverpool are £65million worth of players worse than they were pre-Kenny, although I agree they're not £35million better.
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 10055
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 142 times

Re: 2011-2012 Football Season.

Postby Cool Cat » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:35 pm

I still think think Carroll will come good and show his value, but 20m for Downing was ridiculous, and Henderson was over priced.
 
Cool Cat
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

See Me In The Shadows

      
 
Posts: 4350
Images: 9
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:10 am
Location: Robin Hood Country
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: 2011-2012 Football Season.

Postby pow wow » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:44 pm

Cool Cat wrote:I still think think Carroll will come good and show his value, but 20m for Downing was ridiculous, and Henderson was over priced.


Carroll was a panic buy in my opinion. Baffled why we bought him when we did, he was injured. I know we tried to get Cavani but got turned down. But it was the Torres money and Newcastle ramped up the price knowing we had that money burning a hole in our pocket. It's not easy getting the top players when not in the CL. Downing and Henderson will both be better next season.

I'm liking what Rodgers is saying, really talking the talk. I hope he gets the time and backing.
 
pow wow
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:53 pm
Location: Liverpool
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: 2011-2012 Football Season.

Postby Elessar » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:06 pm

New away kit:

Image
Image
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 10055
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 142 times

Re: 2011-2012 Football Season.

Postby Elessar » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:28 pm

This guy really does seem to be saying all the right things so far:

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-n ... to-swansea
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 10055
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 142 times

Re: 2011-2012 Football Season.

Postby Killer King » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:00 pm

And so it begins: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18363736

This will continue to happen all tournament, and personally I can see it turning violent very quickly. Stupid idea to hold it there in the first place, but all about money I'm sure :roll:
"It's only a song, f**k 'em" - Roger Taylor

Kerry & Brian - 14th May 2011, Cardiff. Brilliant!
 
Killer King
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: South Wales
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: 2011-2012 Football Season.

Postby Cool Cat » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:49 pm

Killer King wrote:And so it begins: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18363736

This will continue to happen all tournament, and personally I can see it turning violent very quickly. Stupid idea to hold it there in the first place, but all about money I'm sure :roll:

Its already been posted in the the correct thread ;)
 
Cool Cat
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

See Me In The Shadows

      
 
Posts: 4350
Images: 9
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:10 am
Location: Robin Hood Country
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: 2011-2012 Football Season.

Postby Killer King » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:57 pm

Cool Cat wrote:
Killer King wrote:And so it begins: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18363736

This will continue to happen all tournament, and personally I can see it turning violent very quickly. Stupid idea to hold it there in the first place, but all about money I'm sure :roll:

Its already been posted in the the correct thread ;)


There it is! I wondered why JLP had missed my post in the Euro's thread, and it turns out I didn't post it in there! :lol:
"It's only a song, f**k 'em" - Roger Taylor

Kerry & Brian - 14th May 2011, Cardiff. Brilliant!
 
Killer King
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: South Wales
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: 2011-2012 Football Season.

Postby pow wow » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:06 am

Bye bye Harry. From nearly the England job to no job! Moyes? Martinez? Klinsmann?
 
pow wow
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:53 pm
Location: Liverpool
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: 2011-2012 Football Season.

Postby Cool Cat » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:07 pm

pow wow wrote:Bye bye Harry. From nearly the England job to no job! Moyes? Martinez? Klinsmann?

Harry gone, Modric & Bale to follow soon, Spurs will finish no better than 8th next season.
 
Cool Cat
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

See Me In The Shadows

      
 
Posts: 4350
Images: 9
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:10 am
Location: Robin Hood Country
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: 2011-2012 Football Season.

Postby JLP » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:34 pm

time for a new thread.
Come on you Tigers.
 
JLP
Site Admin
 
User avatar

 

Growing old disgracefully

      
 
Posts: 10083
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:33 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 375 times

Previous

Return to The Game

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest