Boxing

Discuss any aspects of sports here.

Re: Boxing

Postby WhiteMouse » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:58 am

Oh my, is there really a point in beating up good old Holyfield? :roll: Or crazy monkey Tyson? Those fights would be totally useless sport wise. Only to revel public, which is a silly aim. Happy brothers realized it.
As for Lewis, it was a very arguable fight. Vit was leading it until Lewis cut open his brow. The fight was stopped, also according to the points Vit was winning. And when Vit wanted a rematch, Lewis behaved like a shy miss who's been asked out, instead of nearly 2 metres tall, professional boxer. Then just ran away. :roll:

Good luck to your M&Ms :P
Ooh, it makes me wonder...

WhiteMouse
Spread Your Wings

M - Mischievous, Marvelous, Mild Mannered, Mesmerizing and has Mad as a Hatter

Postby Cool Cat » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:38 pm

Good old Frank would have been world champ if he was around now days ;)
I'm Just a Musical Prostitute, my Dear.

Cool Cat
Don't Stop Me Now

See Me In The Shadows

Postby pow wow » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:05 am

WhiteMouse wrote:Oh my, is there really a point in beating up good old Holyfield? :roll: Or crazy monkey Tyson? Those fights would be totally useless sport wise. Only to revel public, which is a silly aim. Happy brothers realized it.
As for Lewis, it was a very arguable fight. Vit was leading it until Lewis cut open his brow. The fight was stopped, also according to the points Vit was winning. And when Vit wanted a rematch, Lewis behaved like a shy miss who's been asked out, instead of nearly 2 metres tall, professional boxer. Then just ran away. :roll:

Good luck to your M&Ms :P

I don't mean they should fight Holyfield and Tyson NOW, I meant years ago. But that's the point, they always avoided the big fights and went for the easy money. They're not rubbish by any means but the heavyweight division has been dire since Lewis. Lewis had the sense to retire when he did.

Where would you rank the brothers in the list of all time greats?

pow wow
We Will Rock You

Postby WhiteMouse » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:05 am

pow wow wrote:I don't mean they should fight Holyfield and Tyson NOW, I meant years ago. But that's the point, they always avoided the big fights and went for the easy money. They're not rubbish by any means but the heavyweight division has been dire since Lewis. Lewis had the sense to retire when he did.

Hm, looking at the belts they've gathered up I can perfectly see what they were after. Isn't it the biggest prioroty in boxing?
And again back to Lewis. Firstly, he fought with many boxers whim whom Klitschko's did too. And in Lewis case they were considered "big fights". In a case with Klitschko, those boxers suddenly became weak. Hmmm, strange. I'm agree that Lewis was a very good boxer. But the story with Klitschko was just a shame for the professional like him. I personally think he just ran away to avoid another fight with Vit. He wasn't that old (39), he could have this story finished. But I guess he wasn't sure about his victory, that's why left. In fact, Lewis had either to fight with Vit or he'd lose the belt. So he just picked the easier way- retirement.
To be honest, I never thought about such list and brothers' place in it, but they surely would be in my top 50.

WhiteMouse
Spread Your Wings

Postby pow wow » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:21 am

WhiteMouse wrote:
pow wow wrote:I don't mean they should fight Holyfield and Tyson NOW, I meant years ago. But that's the point, they always avoided the big fights and went for the easy money. They're not rubbish by any means but the heavyweight division has been dire since Lewis. Lewis had the sense to retire when he did.

Hm, looking at the belts they've gathered up I can perfectly see what they were after. Isn't it the biggest prioroty in boxing?
And again back to Lewis. Firstly, he fought with many boxers whim whom Klitschko's did too. And in Lewis case they were considered "big fights". In a case with Klitschko, those boxers suddenly became weak. Hmmm, strange. I'm agree that Lewis was a very good boxer. But the story with Klitschko was just a shame for the professional like him. I personally think he just ran away to avoid another fight with Vit. He wasn't that old (39), he could have this story finished. But I guess he wasn't sure about his victory, that's why left. In fact, Lewis had either to fight with Vit or he'd lose the belt. So he just picked the easier way- retirement.
To be honest, I never thought about such list and brothers' place in it, but they surely would be in my top 50.

I agree with you that Vitali was probably robbed against Lewis but I'm saying that if he was that good he should have put Lewis away before the fight was stopped. Lewis was on his way down, overweight, out of shape and his heart wasn't in it anymore. He was a better fighter than both brothers 8-) .

The Klitschkos fight too many fighters on their way down and don't have too many fights outside Germany and we both know why. I suppose it's not their fault that the division is awful at the moment. I think they just bore me stupid but I'd still swap them for Haye and Chisora anytime. :-D

pow wow
We Will Rock You

Postby WhiteMouse » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:56 pm

pow wow wrote:I agree with you that Vitali was probably robbed against Lewis but I'm saying that if he was that good he should have put Lewis away before the fight was stopped. Lewis was on his way down, overweight, out of shape and his heart wasn't in it anymore. He was a better fighter than both brothers 8-) .

The Klitschkos fight too many fighters on their way down and don't have too many fights outside Germany and we both know why. I suppose it's not their fault that the division is awful at the moment. I think they just bore me stupid but I'd still swap them for Haye and Chisora anytime. :-D

Now I can see why you support those. ;) :P

WhiteMouse
Spread Your Wings

Postby Cool Cat » Sun May 27, 2012 5:49 pm

Carl Froch became a three-time world champion with a fifth-round stoppage of Canada's Lucian Bute at the Capital FM Arena in Nottingham :mrgreen:

Cool Cat
Don't Stop Me Now

See Me In The Shadows

Postby Cool Cat » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:05 pm

RIP Ken Norton

Cool Cat
Don't Stop Me Now

See Me In The Shadows

Postby pow wow » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:54 am

WhiteMouse wrote:
pow wow wrote:I agree with you that Vitali was probably robbed against Lewis but I'm saying that if he was that good he should have put Lewis away before the fight was stopped. Lewis was on his way down, overweight, out of shape and his heart wasn't in it anymore. He was a better fighter than both brothers 8-) .

Now I can see why you support those. ;) :P

You never know, there might be a rematch :shock:

http://m.skysports.com/article/boxing//8965642

pow wow
We Will Rock You

Postby Cool Cat » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:27 pm

Should never be allowed to happen :shock: i hope not anyway.

Cool Cat
Don't Stop Me Now

See Me In The Shadows

Postby Cool Cat » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:32 pm

Our local hero(we don't have many in NOTTS) Carl Froch takes on George Groves this Saturday for the WBA & IBF world titles, to say these 2 boxers hate each other is an understatement, there'll be no hugging or handshakes after this fight, no matter who wins.

Cool Cat
Don't Stop Me Now

See Me In The Shadows

Postby pow wow » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:09 pm

Cool Cat wrote:Our local hero(we don't have many in NOTTS) Carl Froch takes on George Groves this Saturday for the WBA & IBF world titles, to say these 2 boxers hate each other is an understatement, there'll be no hugging or handshakes after this fight, no matter who wins.

I'm looking forward to it. Groves has really got under Froch's skin and has got a chance especially early on. I hope Froch wins, I'll go for round 10.

pow wow
We Will Rock You

Postby Cool Cat » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:09 am

Shame it ended the way it did, it was stopped too early, but better one punch too few than one too many, had the ref not stopped it Froch would have knocked him out, but i think most boxers would rather go out that way, there is no controversy then. Groves may have lost the fight, but he won a hell of a lot of fight fans last night.

Cool Cat
Don't Stop Me Now

See Me In The Shadows

Postby Cool Cat » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:49 pm

Froch v Groves II - May 31st :)

Cool Cat
Don't Stop Me Now

See Me In The Shadows

Postby Cool Cat » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:06 pm

Cool Cat wrote:Froch v Groves II - May 31st :)

Wembley Stadium by the look of things, big, big pay day for all concerned.

Cool Cat
Don't Stop Me Now

See Me In The Shadows

PreviousNext

Return to The Game