Olympics 2012

Discuss any aspects of sports here.

Re: Olympics 2012

Postby icy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:11 am

I can't speak for the BBC, but a few years back(more than 10 years ago now) I wrote(good old snail mail) to the CBC asking why the paralympics weren't shown, lack of interest, funds, sponsors was the reply.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 16710
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: . Don't forget to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 269 times
Been thanked: 587 times

Re: Olympics 2012

Postby fairydandy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:21 am

icy wrote:I can't speak for the BBC, but a few years back(more than 10 years ago now) I wrote(good old snail mail) to the CBC asking why the paralympics weren't shown, lack of interest, funds, sponsors was the reply.


Yes, lack of interest, that's what I said.
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8702
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 438 times

Re: Olympics 2012

Postby icy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:30 am

fairydandy wrote:
icy wrote:I can't speak for the BBC, but a few years back(more than 10 years ago now) I wrote(good old snail mail) to the CBC asking why the paralympics weren't shown, lack of interest, funds, sponsors was the reply.


Yes, lack of interest, that's what I said.

I'd watch if it were shown on TV, an hour of highlights compared to hrs on ends IMO, thats a shame.
According to Wiki...
United Kingdom: Channel 4 will broadcast the Games, with over 150 hours of television coverage.[41] The IPC stated that its coverage would be "the most extensive coverage of the Paralympic Games that has ever been broadcast in the UK."[42]


Canada: The current "Olympic Broadcast Media Consortium" (comprised of Bell Media's CTV Television Network, TSN2, and French-language RDS; as well as Rogers Media's Sportsnet One) will provide coverage. CTV and RDS are both expected to broadcast an one-hour highlights program on television each evening, and the Opening and Closing Ceremonies will be covered on television by TSN2, Sportsnet One, RDS, and RDS2. Four online streams will provide 580 hours of live coverage.[45]
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 16710
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: . Don't forget to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 269 times
Been thanked: 587 times

Re: Olympics 2012

Postby Pastieman.Steve » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:34 am

fairydandy wrote:
Pastieman.Steve wrote:It's not nonsense fd just because YOU don't like it, there is nothing wrong at all with those who have suffed some form of illness, accident or misfortune who are not as able as others from competing in competitions against others in the world in the same boat. most of them have crossed many bigger hurdles then the able bodied sportsman and women because they have had to overcome their disabilities as well as training just as hard to get to the top of their sport. (no puns intended).
Thankfully not everyone shares your views, I tried to get tickets for any event for the Paralympics and there are no tickets available for any events at all.


Do I have to keep adding 'in my opinion' to everything? :roll:

Good for you if you like watching disabled people competing in sport. Personally, it holds nothing for me at all, that's why I won't watch it. Does that mean that I treat disabled people badly or that I don't care about them? No, it absolutely does not...it just means that watching people play basketball in wheelchairs is of no possible entertainment value ('to me', I have to add that because you think I am talking for the whole world). It's not on BBC1 like the Olympics were...ever wondered why that is?

Like most people I too would sooner go and watch the blue ribbon events but unfortunately my holidays were not until the paralympics were on so the only way I would be able to soak up some of the atmosphere and see the stadiums etc was after the main Olympics were over.
We all know the reason why the BBC are not showing them, lack of popularity being the main reason and probably funding, so hats off to Channel 4 for at least showing some of the events for those that are interested.

Yes maybe you should make your opinions clearer, your comments of "Seriously, I just can't watch that shit." and "...seriously, it's just nonsense." implies that in your opinion disabled people shouldn't have some form of games to take part in, not the fact that it holds no interest to you, or just choose your words a little more carefully next time.
Last edited by Pastieman.Steve on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image
 
Pastieman.Steve
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 

Should be doing something else

      
 
Posts: 850
Images: 14
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:56 am
Location: Cornwall, UK
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Olympics 2012

Postby Kes » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:37 am

Personally, I have only one issue, retrospectively, with the way the London Olympics have been handled.

I know people who applied for tickets and got none, and other people who got positive replies for four or five different events. Surely they should have given a lot more people options on going to at least one event?

And the empty seats issue has only compounded my disgust at the complete lack of morals over corporate ticketing. So f*cking what if Adidas coughed up a couple of million to have their name on signage round the park. They got their money's worth of advertising, why give them it back in tickets too?

As an aside, while I was sat outside Olympic Park yesterday, right under my nose an American bloke bought a ticket for the closing finale off a Czech athlete for £200. I thought to myself it would be fair justice if he got shepherded onto the track with the rest of the Czech team.

I was sure there was an analogy in there somewhere about Americans bouncing Czechs. :oops:
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14926
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 375 times

Re: Olympics 2012

Postby fairydandy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:09 am

Pastieman.Steve wrote:
Yes maybe you should make your opinions clearer, your comments of "Seriously, I just can't watch that shit." and "...seriously, it's just nonsense." implies that in your opinion disabled people shouldn't have some form of games to take part in, not the fact that it holds no interest to you, or just choose your words a little more carefully next time.


My comments don't anywhere imply that disabled athletes shouldn't have some form of games to take part in.

I am treating disabled people in the way that they want to be treated and that's the same as everyone else (because they are the same as everone else..the mere fact that they can't run the 100 metres in under 10 seconds is why they aren't in the Olympic games, and that's in common with the majority of the UK). I would say that basketball in wheelchairs is 'shit' in the same way that I would describe able bodied synchronised swimming as 'shit'. The fact that they are disabled isn't really relevant, it's just shit to watch. I'm not going to pretend that I watch it to appear 'cool' or 'caring', that's just ridiculous.
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8702
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 438 times

Re: Olympics 2012

Postby Leigh Burne » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:17 am

fairydandy wrote:My comments don't anywhere imply that disabled athletes shouldn't have some form of games to take part in.

To be honest, it did kind of sound like that at times. I accept that it's not how you meant it, but some of it did seem to imply you thought they should all just stay at home.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury
 
Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2342
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:57 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 92 times
Been thanked: 108 times

Re: Olympics 2012

Postby Pastieman.Steve » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:28 am

fairydandy wrote:
Pastieman.Steve wrote:
Yes maybe you should make your opinions clearer, your comments of "Seriously, I just can't watch that shit." and "...seriously, it's just nonsense." implies that in your opinion disabled people shouldn't have some form of games to take part in, not the fact that it holds no interest to you, or just choose your words a little more carefully next time.


My comments don't anywhere imply that disabled athletes shouldn't have some form of games to take part in.

I am treating disabled people in the way that they want to be treated and that's the same as everyone else (because they are the same as everone else..the mere fact that they can't run the 100 metres in under 10 seconds is why they aren't in the Olympic games, and that's in common with the majority of the UK). I would say that basketball in wheelchairs is 'shit' in the same way that I would describe able bodied synchronised swimming as 'shit'. The fact that they are disabled isn't really relevant, it's just shit to watch. I'm not going to pretend that I watch it to appear 'cool' or 'caring', that's just ridiculous.

If you truly believe all you have written here then maybe you shouldnt make such stupid statements like "...seriously, it's just nonsense."
Image
 
Pastieman.Steve
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 

Should be doing something else

      
 
Posts: 850
Images: 14
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:56 am
Location: Cornwall, UK
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Olympics 2012

Postby Pastieman.Steve » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:29 am

Leigh Burne wrote:
fairydandy wrote:My comments don't anywhere imply that disabled athletes shouldn't have some form of games to take part in.

To be honest, it did kind of sound like that at times. I accept that it's not how you meant it, but some of it did seem to imply you thought they should all just stay at home.

Thank you, I am glad I am not the only one who thought this. :)
Image
 
Pastieman.Steve
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 

Should be doing something else

      
 
Posts: 850
Images: 14
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:56 am
Location: Cornwall, UK
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Olympics 2012

Postby fairydandy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:32 am

Pastieman.Steve wrote:If you truly believe all you have written here then maybe you shouldnt make such stupid statements like "...seriously, it's just nonsense."


I still think it's nonsense.

I'm not arguing with you Pastie, I can't be bothered today to be honest. You can think what you like of me, I'm seriously not bothered.
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8702
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 438 times

Re: Olympics 2012

Postby fairydandy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:39 am

There are people out there who think that the Olympics are 'nonsense'. Why isn't that questioned in the same way?
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8702
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 438 times

Re: Olympics 2012

Postby icy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:40 am

Come on guys, let's not argue :-(
I didn't bring up what I posted earlier to lord it over anyone, I'd thought it explained the reasons I was given.
I still think i'ts shameful it won't get the same coverage, thats what bothers me the most.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 16710
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: . Don't forget to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 269 times
Been thanked: 587 times

Re: Olympics 2012

Postby fairydandy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:43 am

icy wrote:Come on guys, let's not argue :-(
I didn't bring up what I posted earlier to lord it over anyone, I'd thought it explained the reasons I was given.
I still think i'ts shameful it won't get the same coverage, thats what bothers me the most.


Why is it shameful? People aren't as interested in tennis in wheelchairs as they are in 'tennis'. I wouldn't be as interested in a 'Fat Olympics' where 20 stone people compete against each other...and why should I be?
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8702
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 438 times

Re: Olympics 2012

Postby Leigh Burne » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:46 am

fairydandy wrote:Why is it shameful? People aren't as interested in tennis in wheelchairs as they are in 'tennis'. I wouldn't be as interested in a 'Fat Olympics' where 20 stone people compete against each other...and why should I be?

You say things like that, and then wonder why people say your statements sound inappropriate. Being fat is a result of lifestyle. Disabled people, on the other hand, didn't chose to be disabled.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury
 
Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2342
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:57 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 92 times
Been thanked: 108 times

Re: Olympics 2012

Postby icy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:48 am

fairydandy wrote:
icy wrote:Come on guys, let's not argue :-(
I didn't bring up what I posted earlier to lord it over anyone, I'd thought it explained the reasons I was given.
I still think i'ts shameful it won't get the same coverage, thats what bothers me the most.


Why is it shameful? People aren't as interested in tennis in wheelchairs as they are in 'tennis'. I wouldn't be as interested in a 'Fat Olympics' where 20 stone people compete against each other...and why should I be?

Obviously, not as much money is poured into it as it was with the other Games. That's a shame right there, because maybe if more money was put into it, it may be shown on tv, therefore more may watch.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 16710
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: . Don't forget to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 269 times
Been thanked: 587 times

PreviousNext

Return to The Game

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest