Olympics 2012

Discuss any aspects of sports here.

Re: Olympics 2012

Postby fairydandy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:52 am

Leigh Burne wrote:
fairydandy wrote:Why is it shameful? People aren't as interested in tennis in wheelchairs as they are in 'tennis'. I wouldn't be as interested in a 'Fat Olympics' where 20 stone people compete against each other...and why should I be?

You say things like that, and then wonder why people say your statements sound inappropriate. Being fat is a result of lifestyle. Disabled people, on the other hand, didn't chose to be disabled.


Why does the reason matter? My point is that it's not interesting to watch.
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8394
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 420 times

Re: Olympics 2012

Postby icy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:54 am

fairydandy wrote:
Leigh Burne wrote:
fairydandy wrote:Why is it shameful? People aren't as interested in tennis in wheelchairs as they are in 'tennis'. I wouldn't be as interested in a 'Fat Olympics' where 20 stone people compete against each other...and why should I be?

You say things like that, and then wonder why people say your statements sound inappropriate. Being fat is a result of lifestyle. Disabled people, on the other hand, didn't chose to be disabled.


Why does the reason matter? My point is that it's not interesting to watch.

To you, it's not interesting, to me it is, and many more out there.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 16269
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 249 times
Been thanked: 548 times

Re: Olympics 2012

Postby fairydandy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:54 am

icy wrote:Obviously, not as much money is poured into it as it was with the other Games. That's a shame right there, because maybe if more money was put into it, it may be shown on tv, therefore more may watch.


No, they really wouldn't. Look, I have nothing against disabled people taking part in sport, nothing...but I don't want to watch it (because it's boring to watch). That's in common with many people I would imagine.
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8394
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 420 times

Re: Olympics 2012

Postby Leigh Burne » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:55 am

fairydandy wrote:Why does the reason matter? My point is that it's not interesting to watch.

I'm not bothered that you don't want to watch it, that's entirely your prerogative. It's just sometimes the way you say it makes it sound like no one should be interested and they shouldn't even get the chance. I know that isn't what you meant, but it really sounds like it at times.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury
 
Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2192
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:57 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 83 times
Been thanked: 101 times

Re: Olympics 2012

Postby icy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:56 am

Look out fd, those Glamberts might see us disagreeing :lookround: and still won't believe we are disagreeing! Then again, they don't look in here :P.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 16269
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 249 times
Been thanked: 548 times

Re: Olympics 2012

Postby icy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:58 am

fairydandy wrote:
icy wrote:Obviously, not as much money is poured into it as it was with the other Games. That's a shame right there, because maybe if more money was put into it, it may be shown on tv, therefore more may watch.


No, they really wouldn't. Look, I have nothing against disabled people taking part in sport, nothing...but I don't want to watch it (because it's boring to watch). That's in common with many people I would imagine.

I'd like to think I know you well enough to know you don't have a problem against disabled people. I wasn't suggesting you did(hope you know that.)
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 16269
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 249 times
Been thanked: 548 times

Re: Olympics 2012

Postby Pastieman.Steve » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:58 am

fairydandy wrote:
icy wrote:Come on guys, let's not argue :-(
I didn't bring up what I posted earlier to lord it over anyone, I'd thought it explained the reasons I was given.
I still think i'ts shameful it won't get the same coverage, thats what bothers me the most.


Why is it shameful? People aren't as interested in tennis in wheelchairs as they are in 'tennis'. I wouldn't be as interested in a 'Fat Olympics' where 20 stone people compete against each other...and why should I be?

Tennis is tennis, same rules just played by people in wheelchairs or on legs. What is shameful is you seem to be saying one way of playing it is better than another way and that is discriminating to disabled people. I'll get you a JCB in a minute as the spade you keep using is not big enough.
Image
 
Pastieman.Steve
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 

Should be doing something else

      
 
Posts: 850
Images: 14
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:56 am
Location: Cornwall, UK
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Olympics 2012

Postby Pastieman.Steve » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:03 pm

fairydandy wrote:
Why does the reason matter? My point is that it's not interesting to watch.

in YOUR opinion, thankfully you do not speak for the world.
Image
 
Pastieman.Steve
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 

Should be doing something else

      
 
Posts: 850
Images: 14
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:56 am
Location: Cornwall, UK
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Olympics 2012

Postby Kes » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:04 pm

Being fair, if most people saw that Oscar bloke walking up their high street in his blades, it would create a very mixed bag of reactions, from people just curious how he can possibly walk on such things, through complete acceptance, to the other extreme that they just can't stomach to concentrate or dwell on someone else's disability.

Watching disabled events on TV, or at an arena will bring about the same mixed bag of emotions.

With able bodied sport, you won't get anything like the wide cross section of different feelings. Maybe THAT'S the difference?

Sometimes you don't know which way to turn when passing a disabled person. "Will they think I'm looking at them because they're disabled?" "Will they think I'm NOT looking at them, because they're disabled?" Seriously, I think more able bodied people feel a little insecure over this issue, than you might think.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14739
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 351 times

Re: Olympics 2012

Postby fairydandy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:05 pm

icy wrote:To you, it's not interesting, to me it is, and many more out there.


Define 'many'. It's being televised, but hardly anyone will watch it.

Why am I defending this? I don't like the Paralympics, it holds no interest for me personally, it's visually boring and uninteresting (just as the Olympics are in places).

When I called synchronised swimming 'utter shit', no one jumped up and down on me then. The reason is clear, people think there is an anti-disabled stance here (and they love to jump on their high-horses), but there isn't. The Paralympics is great for those who like it and for those who want to enter, but for me, it's just shit to watch...so I won't be watching.
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8394
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 420 times

Re: Olympics 2012

Postby fairydandy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:06 pm

Pastieman.Steve wrote:
fairydandy wrote:
Why does the reason matter? My point is that it's not interesting to watch.

in YOUR opinion, thankfully you do not speak for the world.


Have I said that I speak for everyone?
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8394
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 420 times

Re: Olympics 2012

Postby fairydandy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:07 pm

Pastieman.Steve wrote:Tennis is tennis, same rules just played by people in wheelchairs or on legs. What is shameful is you seem to be saying one way of playing it is better than another way and that is discriminating to disabled people. I'll get you a JCB in a minute as the spade you keep using is not big enough.


I prefer the able bodied version. How is that discriminating? Go on, have a shot at saying something intelligent for once.
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8394
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 420 times

Re: Olympics 2012

Postby Pastieman.Steve » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:08 pm

fairydandy wrote:
icy wrote:To you, it's not interesting, to me it is, and many more out there.


Define 'many'. It's being televised, but hardly anyone will watch it.

Why am I defending this? I don't like the Paralympics, it holds no interest for me personally, it's visually boring and uninteresting (just as the Olympics are in places).

When I called synchronised swimming 'utter shit', no one jumped up and down on me then. The reason is clear, people think there is an anti-disabled stance here (and they love to jump on their high-horses), but there isn't. The Paralympics is great for those who like it and for those who want to enter, but for me, it's just shit to watch...so I won't be watching.

So why call it a nonsense?
Image
 
Pastieman.Steve
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 

Should be doing something else

      
 
Posts: 850
Images: 14
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:56 am
Location: Cornwall, UK
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Olympics 2012

Postby Pastieman.Steve » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:09 pm

fairydandy wrote:
Pastieman.Steve wrote:Tennis is tennis, same rules just played by people in wheelchairs or on legs. What is shameful is you seem to be saying one way of playing it is better than another way and that is discriminating to disabled people. I'll get you a JCB in a minute as the spade you keep using is not big enough.


I prefer the able bodied version. How is that discriminating? Go on, have a shot at saying something intelligent for once.

And here we go, the mighty fd is on the back foot so the insults start flying, still I'll give you your due, it took longer than normal :roll:
Image
 
Pastieman.Steve
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 

Should be doing something else

      
 
Posts: 850
Images: 14
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:56 am
Location: Cornwall, UK
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Olympics 2012

Postby icy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:10 pm

fairydandy wrote:
icy wrote:To you, it's not interesting, to me it is, and many more out there.


Define 'many'. It's being televised, but hardly anyone will watch it.

Why am I defending this? I don't like the Paralympics, it holds no interest for me personally, it's visually boring and uninteresting (just as the Olympics are in places).

When I called synchronised swimming 'utter shit', no one jumped up and down on me then. The reason is clear, people think there is an anti-disabled stance here (and they love to jump on their high-horses), but there isn't. The Paralympics is great for those who like it and for those who want to enter, but for me, it's just shit to watch...so I won't be watching.

Many people I know, have talked to about it.
I don't mind you find it boring and uninteresting, I disagree with it.
Please don't think I'm jumping on your back, my big beef is with the stations that won't cover it as much.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 16269
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 249 times
Been thanked: 548 times

PreviousNext

Return to The Game

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests