UEFA Euro 2012

Discuss any aspects of sports here.

Re: UEFA Euro 2012

Postby Simon » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:11 pm

Elessar wrote:
Simon wrote:Well, I expect them to win the World Championship in 2014 then. :D

In Brazil? Nah, Brazil will win it.

Well, that's debatable... But what do I know... My money was on Denmark all along. I lost a fortune. And many friends. (Both of them.)
"Or you have it, or you don't!"

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby The Sixpence » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:16 pm

I fancy Italy to cause another upset. It's 2006 all over again...

The Sixpence

Postby Kes » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:03 pm

Just for a laugh, have a look at the statistics of European teams winning World Cups in South America, and South American sides winning them in Europe. It makes interesting reading if you're going to bet money against historical odds.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby The Sixpence » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:13 pm

Has anyone ever done it? From memory and I don't think a South American side has a WC in Europe and a European side has never won it in South America.

The Sixpence

Postby Kes » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:25 pm

My point exactly. Apart from the few occasions when the WC has been held outside of either Europe or South America, I can't remember anyone winning it outside of their own continent.

When we get right on top of the next World Cup, watch the bookie's odds and see if they reflect that statistic. I bet they don't, and the odds on a European side winning it on South American turf are shorter than they should be for someone doing something so historically unprecedented.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby The Sixpence » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:28 pm

One thing I can guarantee is that England won't win it!

The Sixpence

Postby Lino » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:32 pm

well, brazil is south america (comnebol) and won in the usa (concacaf) and in japan! and spain in south africa. history isn.t so important. england lost a lot of its striking power and rugby like strength football, it got too technical.
I'm a globetrotter and I'm proud of it!

Lino
The Show Must Go On

Postby Elessar » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:13 pm

Brazil won it in Sweden. Beyond that, European teams always win in Europe, South American teams win in the Americas, and the only two remaining are the Japan/South Korea one which Brazil won, and South Africa which Spain won - South Africa has a very similar time zone to Spain; how does Brazil's compare to Japan's?
"BLM are as equally responsible as the KKK are"

- Dustbiter, 2017

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:16 pm

Uruguay could be a good punt for 2014. Mostly a young team (apart from Forlan), ranked 2nd in the world, have by far the best World Cup record pound for pound per citizen, and aren't averse to upsetting the Brazilians.

- Dustbiter, 2017

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:27 pm

My time zone theory is rubbish. Brazil and Japan are actually antipodes!

Well, whoever won in 2002 was always going to be from a different continent. Although South Korea came close! Incidentally North Korea are currently unofficial world champions (treating football like boxing, starting with the first ever international between England and Scotland).

- Dustbiter, 2017

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Lino » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:34 pm

well, the FIFA rankings don't say much actually. I remember that after world cup 2006, Portugal became 4th in it and the new calculations resulted in us being way behind in the chart, with some teams that hadn't even have good results or participated to be ahead of us... and Uruguay is 2nd in the south american qualifying at the moment.

about the qualifying, I wonder why UEFA need to have some 15 teams and South America must play the play-off with Asia, and Oceania with North America...

Lino
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:33 am

I think that's just down to the sheer number of top flight nations that qualify as being inside the European football boundaries. What's South America? About ten countries who can compete at any sort of international level, add to that two more, the USA and Canada, and you have the entire continent. Assuming that you expect France, Germany, England, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Holland, Russia to qualify, and then at least some teams from the likes of Croatia, Poland, Ukraine, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Scotland, Wales, NI or Irish Republic, Greece, and Turkey. You can see why Europe is so well represented.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Lino » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:04 am

It's more Mexico in matter of football than Canada...
let's hope for a surprise from the Caribbean or South Pacific, Tahiti have been growing and will compete in the confederations' cup as winner of their continental competition.

Lino
The Show Must Go On

Postby Elenir » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:33 pm

Elenir wrote:
Kes wrote:I STILL Think the Germans will win it :shock:
Oh, I don't know. We're not very good against the Italians. I guess it depends whether it'll be penalty or not.
See, told you so.

Kes wrote:Trying to get away from the conceited belief in the German side hinted at by various polls that 75% of Germans "expected" their side to win the championships, prior to their commencement, you have got a VERY bright football team there. Just that the first law of football is to try and always expect the unexpected.
Yeah, sure everyone thinks/thought Germany would win. Football is the only thing we're allowed to be patriotic in - so everything is poured in there. I certainly didn't openly tell people that I expected Italy to win...
I think psychology did play a big role in there. And of course everyone is blaming Jogi Löw now, too.

I was quite disappointed by "Hitler" trending on Twitter during the match... :roll:

Elenir
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:23 pm

Quite often, when you're told you're the best by others, then you quite possibly are. When you go round telling others you're the best, then you invariably aren't.

In this particular case, I really believe that Germany were the best team in the tournament, but when you're playing knock out football, it can occasionally turn against you, and the underdogs come out as overdogs. Basically, if you hadn't changed your tactics into trying to out-Italian the Italians, and play the way you had in every other match, I think the result might have been different. Germany need to learn how to cope, and get over it, when they go behind.

At this moment in time, you have far more potential than England, but saying that we managed a nil-nil draw against the Italians, and got booted out on penalties. There's NO way England are currently a better team than Germany, therefore Germany lost against Italy, more than Italy went out there and beat them, if you get what I'm saying.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

PreviousNext

Return to The Game