UEFA Euro 2012

Discuss any aspects of sports here.

Re: UEFA Euro 2012

Postby Kes » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:02 am

Lino, unfortunately my poor fruit, because of the one time when England were all over you like a rash, and Christiano turned the game by getting Rooney sent off for a challenge that wasn't as bad as the mortally injured Portuguese guy made it look, your team will never really have the sympathy of English people while your captain,who is without doubt one of the best footballers ever (when he's not cheating), is in the team.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14484
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 333 times

Re: UEFA Euro 2012

Postby JLP » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:14 am

If Ronaldo had taken the 4th penalty and scored, the pressure would have been on Fabregas, whom I don't like following his actions following a game when he caused all sorts of crap when the Arse beat Hull in the FA Cup following a Gallas offside goal.

I truly believe his ego is bigger than that of the rest of the team combined.
Come on you Tigers.
 
JLP
Site Admin
 
User avatar

 

Growing old disgracefully

      
 
Posts: 10532
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:33 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 399 times

Re: UEFA Euro 2012

Postby Lino » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:42 am

Today he was quite opposite, he helped the team a lot either in the back or in the front. If only he had scored those free kicks better... it was close, really close.
About 2010... well time has passed and things are different. Portugal was eliminated by Poborsky in 96 and he was hated, then he was loved when he was in Benfica. The show must go on.
I'm a globetrotter and I'm proud of it!
 
Lino
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1526
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:02 pm
Location: Portugal!!
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: UEFA Euro 2012

Postby Kes » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:05 am

I'm not having a go at Ronaldo because he is Portuguese, I'm having a go at him because like Michael Schumacher in the year that Senna died, he has pretty much always had the talent to be one of the best, and as such didn't need to cheat. For the good that instance has done him, the negative effect even this many years later still puts people off him.

Hence the phrase cheats never prosper.

I'd quite possibly feel pretty much the same way if the boot was on the other foot, and England had cheated their way past Portugal in a crucial match. I'd certainly empathise with a Portuguese fan who felt their chance had been stolen from them.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14484
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 333 times

Re: UEFA Euro 2012

Postby Simon » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:28 am

I also felt that Portugal was immensely wronged by the referees. But after a while I had to correct my opinion. It has been quite a good performance by them.
It was not a good match, so I had enough time to practice some chords on my guitar without being interrupted by many exciting moves by either the Spaniards of Portugese. Shame though that Spain won the shoot-out.
It is pathetic how many players tend to fall on the ground, pretend they will probably die only to be resurrected after 5 seconds when the ball is rolling again. And I don't mean just the teams from yesterday but every team throughout the tournament.
So glad Germany will win 3-0 against Italy today :nervous: .
"Or you have it, or you don't!"
 
Simon
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2464
Images: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:12 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 55 times

Re: UEFA Euro 2012

Postby The Sixpence » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:53 am

English players have cheated just as badly in major games as Ronaldo is perceived to have done in 2006. What I would say about the Rooney incident in 2006 was that he deserved to be sent off given he's stood on the Portugal players tackle on purpose - just as Beckham deserved to be sent off in 1998 against Argentina. I've seen players surround the ref for less in their willingness to a) defend their team-mate and b) try and influence the decision. In that regard I don't think Ronaldo deserves to be villified for his actions - what was not necessary was the wink afterwards. That was completely wrong. The ref was going to send Rooney off after that incident in 2006 no matter what the Portuguese players did or said because Rooney had committed a violent offence.
 
The Sixpence
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: UEFA Euro 2012

Postby Cool Cat » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:21 pm

I was so willing Portugal to win the shoot out last night, Spain's play as become boring and predictable, for all the talk of other teams playing anti football Spain are an incredibly negative team given the talent they have at their disposal, the midfielders are not interested in playing with a forward, Negredo made several runs off the back of the last defender only to be totally ignored for a square or backward pass. :roll: They simply ignored him everytime. Portugal were unlucky, Ronaldo should have won it at the death, it was a good chance, would have been a better chance if Meirelles had passed it into his stride.
 
Cool Cat
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

See Me In The Shadows

      
 
Posts: 4524
Images: 9
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:10 am
Location: Robin Hood Country
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: UEFA Euro 2012

Postby queenb1656 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:13 pm

Cool Cat wrote:I was so willing Portugal to win the shoot out last night, Spain's play as become boring and predictable, for all the talk of other teams playing anti football Spain are an incredibly negative team given the talent they have at their disposal, the midfielders are not interested in playing with a forward, Negredo made several runs off the back of the last defender only to be totally ignored for a square or backward pass. :roll: They simply ignored him everytime. Portugal were unlucky, Ronaldo should have won it at the death, it was a good chance, would have been a better chance if Meirelles had passed it into his stride.


If following up a euro + world success with another euro final is 'boring + predictable' then sign me up now. I bet 99% of all other national managers wished they could retain the ball like that.

Hopefully Italy will prevail tonight + put the germans in their place.
 
queenb1656
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:46 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: UEFA Euro 2012

Postby Cool Cat » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:22 pm

queenb1656 wrote:
Cool Cat wrote:I was so willing Portugal to win the shoot out last night, Spain's play as become boring and predictable, for all the talk of other teams playing anti football Spain are an incredibly negative team given the talent they have at their disposal, the midfielders are not interested in playing with a forward, Negredo made several runs off the back of the last defender only to be totally ignored for a square or backward pass. :roll: They simply ignored him everytime. Portugal were unlucky, Ronaldo should have won it at the death, it was a good chance, would have been a better chance if Meirelles had passed it into his stride.


If following up a euro + world success with another euro final is 'boring + predictable' then sign me up now. I bet 99% of all other national managers wished they could retain the ball like that.

Hopefully Italy will prevail tonight + put the germans in their place.

Still boring if there's no end result, but if thats what you enjoy watching carry on by all means. I'd rather see attacking wingers and wing backs and a big fella waiting in the middle.
 
Cool Cat
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

See Me In The Shadows

      
 
Posts: 4524
Images: 9
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:10 am
Location: Robin Hood Country
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: UEFA Euro 2012

Postby queenb1656 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:29 pm

Cool Cat wrote:Still boring if there's no end result, but if thats what you enjoy watching carry on by all means. I'd rather see attacking wingers and wing backs and a big fella waiting in the middle.


It's not particularly my cup of tea but if that's what gets them success then fair-dos. Football comes in all shapes and sizes and it would be very boring if everyone played the same.
 
queenb1656
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:46 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: UEFA Euro 2012

Postby Simon » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:26 pm

queenb1656 wrote:
Cool Cat wrote:Still boring if there's no end result, but if thats what you enjoy watching carry on by all means. I'd rather see attacking wingers and wing backs and a big fella waiting in the middle.


It's not particularly my cup of tea but if that's what gets them success then fair-dos. Football comes in all shapes and sizes and it would be very boring if everyone played the same.


And therein liese the tragedy: Successful playing= boring for the audience. It was an atrocious match. And I don't expect much more fun today.
"Or you have it, or you don't!"
 
Simon
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2464
Images: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:12 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 55 times

Re: UEFA Euro 2012

Postby Elessar » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:08 pm

Mariooooo!!
"BLM are as equally responsible as the KKK are"

- Dustbiter, 2017
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 10055
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 143 times

Re: UEFA Euro 2012

Postby Kes » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:18 pm

Considering how the game against England went (ie flat as a hedgehog on the M25), and the obvious respect the two teams had for each other, the fact that the Italians are one-nil up against Germany, says to me that maybe England were doing "something" right. However, had that been England on there against the Germans, I really don't think we'd be looking at being 1-0 up at this point of the game.

Maybe the statistic that the Germans have lost 3 and drawn 4 out of 7 times against the Italians, is weighing down on them.

I still think we will be looking at Germany winning a Germany - Spain final though. Ask me again in about an hour and a half's time.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14484
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 333 times

Re: UEFA Euro 2012

Postby Kes » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:23 pm

Two - nil.

Shock!
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14484
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 333 times

Re: UEFA Euro 2012

Postby Elessar » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:28 pm

My fiver on Italy is looking good
"BLM are as equally responsible as the KKK are"

- Dustbiter, 2017
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 10055
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 143 times

PreviousNext

Return to The Game

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests