What was the best footballl match you ever saw in person?

Discuss any aspects of sports here.

What was the best footballl match you ever saw in person?

Postby icy » Sat May 26, 2012 12:57 pm

And any details you would like to share, which teams were playing, end result scoring, if you know how many other fans attended, how far did you travel to see the match, etc, etc.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
I Want To Break Free

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Re: What was the best footballl match you ever saw in person

Postby Elessar » Sat May 26, 2012 1:20 pm

I've seen lots of great matches, but I guess the 'best' one has to be the one that still gets mentioned as one of the greatest comebacks of all time.

20th February, 2001: Tranmere Rovers 4 - 3 Southampton.

It was the FA Cup fifth round. Tranmere were in Division 1 (and ended up finishing bottom) and Southampton in the Premiership. Tranmere had managed to hold Southampton to a 0-0 draw in Southampton, so the replay was at Prenton Park. I had a Tranmere season ticket because they were my local club and child's season tickets cost about £25 for the season. However, the friends I went with couldn't make it, so I went with my dad (who I usually only went to Liverpool matches with).

Southampton went 3-0 up, and were still 3-0 up by the 58th minute. However, Paul Rideout scored a hat-trick and Stuart Barlow scored a fourth to win the game 4-3, without even needing extra time!

Tranmere went into the quarter finals against Liverpool, and I watched from my Tranmere season ticket seat, but cheered all 6 goals as Liverpool won 4-2. I certainly wasn't the only one doing that!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 178964.stm

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Cool Cat » Sat May 26, 2012 3:23 pm

Seen many great games, seen a fair few gruellers too, including the worst FA Cup final ever, although the end result was very special. :mrgreen: A very satisfying match i saw was at City Ground, Notts Forest v Man United in '99 i think it was, we battered them 8-2, including 4 goals from Ollie Gunnar Solskjaer who started as sub.

Cool Cat
Don't Stop Me Now

See Me In The Shadows

Postby Elessar » Sat May 26, 2012 4:18 pm

I must remember that game better than you! It was 8-1.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Cool Cat » Sat May 26, 2012 4:32 pm

Elessar wrote:I must remember that game better than you! It was 8-1.

Yeah you're right :lol: i must have the thrashing we gave Arsenal this season on my mind, i bet you remember the worst ever FA Cup final too, 1996.

Cool Cat
Don't Stop Me Now

See Me In The Shadows

Postby Elessar » Sat May 26, 2012 4:53 pm

Only vaguely; it was a couple of years before I started following football. I know it was a disappointing result though!

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Cool Cat » Sat May 26, 2012 5:00 pm

Elessar wrote:Only vaguely; it was a couple of years before I started following football. I know it was a disappointing result though!

The result was good for me, Cantona whacks in the only goal after about 86mins, but a terrible game, and Liverpools match day suits were just as bad :lol: remember them? if not, look for a picture, i'm sure lots were taken.

Cool Cat
Don't Stop Me Now

See Me In The Shadows

Postby play it cool » Sat May 26, 2012 6:27 pm

Not the best match I would see but the most memorable was my first, when my dad took me to see Wales v England in the 1974 Home Internationals. England won 2-0 with Keegan scoring one of his (if not the) first England goals, and Stan Bowles his only England goal. It was, I if I remember rightly, England's first game without Ramsey in charge (Joe Mercer was caretaker boss until Revie). Got a load of autographs after the game and remember Shilton driving off in a knackered old blue VW Beetle; in contrast to the blinged-up supercars that are standard issue these days.

play it cool
We Will Rock You

Postby JLP » Sat May 26, 2012 7:20 pm

Live I think the best game was the play off semi final against Watford when we won 4-1. The atmosphere was unbelievable that night. When we went in front on the night, I had so much adrenaline going round my system, I felt sick.

The game when we beat Arsenal 2-1 at the Emirates I watched on TV and that was amazing. All of a sudden, we were living the dream. Then I recall a game in our second Premier League season when we beat Man City 2-1 and totally outplayed them.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby pow wow » Sat May 26, 2012 7:44 pm

The best match I've witnessed in terms of absolute football brilliance was Liverpool v Notts Forest at Anfield 1988. Liverpool won 5-0. I remember Brian Clough actually applauding the Liverpool team as they went off. John Barnes always says it was the best game he'd ever played in too. Think I've got it on VHS somewhere, have to dig it out.

Wiki:
John Motson, who was commentating on the game, described it as "almost fantasy football".[8] Liverpool's performance was described by former England international Tom Finney as "the finest exhibition of attacking football ever seen".,[2] while former European Footballer of the Year Michel Platini said Liverpool resembled "a continental team, not an English one".[9] In his 1999 autobiography, John Barnes said it was "the best Liverpool performance he ever played in.[10]

pow wow
We Will Rock You

Postby icy » Sat May 26, 2012 10:17 pm

Thanks guys! :thumbsup:
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
I Want To Break Free

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby Bad Guy » Sun May 27, 2012 3:24 pm

August 2008, Scottish League Cup - Hibernian v Morton. Morton are my team and it's always exciting playing an SPL team away from home in a Cup game. We went into the game not expecting much so it was a surprise when we went in at half time 1-0 up.

About 65 minutes in we went 2-0 up after a brilliant 25 yard free kick. Could the impossible happen? The clock ticks down to 80 minutes and Hibs pull one back, and then with four minutes to go they make it 2-2.

Into extra time we go and in the first minute Hibs score again to make it 3-2, and the HIbs fans start singing "2-0 and you f*cked it up".

Half time in extra time and the score is 3-2, and it looks like the Hibs players are starting to slow a bit, thinking the game is in the bag. With six minutes left of extra time we win a penalty after a hand ball, which is scored to make it 3-3, and with two minutes to go - the impossible does happen. A free kick out wide is driven in right on top of the Hibs keeper, he catches it, spills it and a Morton player is on hand to tap the ball into the empty net. Bedlam in the away end and choruses of "3-2 and you f*cked it up" ring around Easter Road. The final whistle goes with the score Hibernian 3 Morton 4. The best football match I have ever been to and it will take something extra extra special to beat it. It makes being a fan of a small team worth while!

Bad Guy
The Show Must Go On

Postby Lino » Mon May 28, 2012 7:16 pm

somewhere around 96, I was 11 years old and my team hadn't been in the first league for some 18 years. My club won 3-0 and got promoted. It was a major party, everyone invaded the pitch. I could see my red hair among the crowd in the local newspaper's frontpage the day after :lol:

I wasn't there this year but was following it live from my city, we finished 13th after a too bad season, but won the national cup after 73 years (we won the first in 1939). It was so emotive, we welcomed the team home as if they had been world champions.
Académica de Coimbra... we are in the Europa League group stage :onfire:

http://aventadores.files.wordpress.com/ ... -jamor.jpg
I'm a globetrotter and I'm proud of it!

Lino
The Show Must Go On

Postby The Sixpence » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:34 pm

Easy one this - I was lucky to get a ticket about two days before the September 2009 Manchester Derby (I had applied in the ballot but not been succesful but picked one up on the official ticket exchange after luckily being online at the right time to buy it). Absolutely incredible game of football where I thought we had blown it when City equalised in stoppage time to make it 3-3. I just slumped into my seat at that point but two minutes later was hugging strangers next to me when Michael Owen scored the winner. Brilliant finish, brilliant atmosphere and the last derby game I went to.

The Sixpence

Postby Guru » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:45 pm

I'm too partisan to evaluate good games involving Utd, although the 3-3 with Barca in 1998 and a 3-2 victory over Juve a couple of years earlier would be up there.

Which leaves games that I've been to as a neutral, of which there are very few - a few League Cup finals, a Bury game and a couple of Swindon games.

...Of which, I would nominate the 1993 playoff final between Swindon + Leicester. Glenn Hoddle was player manager of Swindon at the time, and scored a good first goal, paying for my ticket as I had him for first goalscorer at 25-1 (my only ever winning bet). Swindon got two more in the second half, immediately followed by 3 Leicester goals, leaving it 3-3 with 20 minutes to go. The match was then won by a penalty in the last 5 minutes, sending Swindon to one of the worst Premier League season performances ever, and Hoddle to Chelsea.

Guru
The Show Must Go On

Erehwon

Next

Return to The Game