he'd be a bit like an intern.
I'm a globetrotter and I'm proud of it!

Lino
The Show Must Go On

Re: 2012-2013 Football Season

Postby Elessar » Mon May 13, 2013 3:43 am

I teared up a little bit when I read this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22504255

Ultimately he's a 71 year old man who is leaving his job after an extremely successful career. I hope he has a long and happy retirement - he's certainly earned it.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Lino » Thu May 16, 2013 12:07 pm

Benfica deserved the Cup much better than Chelsea. Benfica did much more, tried more, Chelsea played behind and in the midfield during the whole game, tiring Benfica players throughout the match. Bad winners.

Lino
The Show Must Go On

Postby JLP » Thu May 16, 2013 4:21 pm

So Beckham retires. About time. Personally I don't think he was as great as the hype. When a footballer like Sir Bobby Charlton says he wouldn't even get into his all time Man Utd XI, that says it all. Scholes was a far better player.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Kes » Thu May 16, 2013 4:26 pm

Lino wrote:Benfica deserved the Cup much better than Chelsea. Benfica did much more, tried more, Chelsea played behind and in the midfield during the whole game, tiring Benfica players throughout the match. Bad winners.

And where are Benfica from, then, Lino?

Personally, I probably dislike Chelsea more than most other teams in Europe, but what I always get told when Portugal knock England out of just about any competition, is the team that wins a game is usually the one that scores more goals than the other team, and to do that, you have to be better than them. Even if Benfica ARE a better team on paper, then tactically they weren't a better team over THOSE 90 minutes or so, unless of course the ref and linesmen are obviously biased. All the evidence you need is in the result, and the look on Platini's face when the final whistle went.

Now, THERE'S a man with a "hatred for anything English" chip the size of a semi-detached maison on his shoulder. I blame it on McCartney writing that "Sont des mots qui vont très bien ensemble, Très bien ensemble" record.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Lino » Thu May 16, 2013 5:17 pm

I like MUFC, I hate Chelsea. Benfica tried a lot, Chelsea put the bus ahead of the goal. I'm just saying that Benfica played much better, just was unlucky with that goal at 92m.
Ah yeah Platini... he hates us, always did. And we hate him. Plat and Blatter. Scum.

Lino
The Show Must Go On

Postby Pastieman.Steve » Fri May 17, 2013 12:36 pm

Benfica were the better team in the first half and out played Chelsea, this was reversed in the second half simple as that. If it wasn't for the woodwork and a great save by the keeper, Lampard would have added two more goals to his name.
Match facts: Benfica had more possession and made more passes.
Chelsea had more corners, more shots off target, more shots on target, more goals.
There was no bus parking, it's what you do with the ball when you have it, Benfica did nothing of any great importance and only scored via a penalty from a handball.
I do hated bad losers :)

Pastieman.Steve
We Will Rock You

Should be doing something else

Postby Two sharp pencils » Fri May 17, 2013 1:11 pm

JLP wrote:So Beckham retires. About time. Personally I don't think he was as great as the hype. When a footballer like Sir Bobby Charlton says he wouldn't even get into his all time Man Utd XI, that says it all. Scholes was a far better player.

I always thought Scholes was overrated as well,good player but that was it.Don't even mention how many times he was sent off (9 / 10 times) if he didn't play for Man Utd i'm sure a bigger deal would of been made of that statistic.Even supposedly ' dirty ' player Julian Dicks was sent off fewer times than Scholes........

Two sharp pencils
The Show Must Go On

Postby Guru » Fri May 17, 2013 9:23 pm

Two sharp pencils wrote:
I always thought Scholes was overrated as well,good player but that was it.Don't even mention how many times he was sent off (9 / 10 times) if he didn't play for Man Utd i'm sure a bigger deal would of been made of that statistic.Even supposedly ' dirty ' player Julian Dicks was sent off fewer times than Scholes........

Xavi wrote:In the last 15 to 20 years the best central midfielder that I have seen — the most complete — is Scholes. I have spoken with Xabi Alonso about this many times. Scholes is a spectacular player who has everything. He can play the final pass, he can score, he is strong, he never gets knocked off the ball and he doesn’t give possession away. If he had been Spanish then maybe he would have been valued more.

Zidane wrote:My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder.

Iniesta wrote: But if you had to pick out only one, then for their history and for all that they have achieved it would have to be Paul Scholes or Ryan Giggs. They are two shining examples for any player.

Davids wrote:I’m not the best, Paul Scholes is.

Vieira wrote:The player in the Premiership I admire most? Easy – Scholes.

Fabregas wrote:He is the one whose level I aspire to. He is the best player in the Premier League.

Henry wrote:I can’t understand why Scholes has never won the player of the year award. He should have won it long ago. Maybe it’s because he doesn’t seek the limelight like some of the other ‘stars’.

Mourinho wrote:Why isn’t he playing for England? It is crazy. Only in England. Scholes is a great, great player. So experienced and still, for me, one of the best in the world in midfield. Manchester United are lucky to have him.

Lippi wrote:Paul Scholes would have been one of my first choices for putting together a great team – that goes to show how highly I have always rated him. He would have been one of the first players I’d have bought, given the chance.

I couldn't find any quotes from the above about Julian Dicks....

Guru
The Show Must Go On

Erehwon

Postby Lino » Fri May 17, 2013 10:15 pm

what about Giovanni Trappatoni? Or Ronaldo? Or Balotelli? :P

Lino
The Show Must Go On

Postby Elessar » Sat May 18, 2013 8:57 am

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Two sharp pencils » Sun May 19, 2013 8:37 pm

Guru wrote:
Two sharp pencils wrote:

Xavi wrote:In the last 15 to 20 years the best central midfielder that I have seen — the most complete — is Scholes. I have spoken with Xabi Alonso about this many times. Scholes is a spectacular player who has everything. He can play the final pass, he can score, he is strong, he never gets knocked off the ball and he doesn’t give possession away. If he had been Spanish then maybe he would have been valued more.

Zidane wrote:My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder.

Iniesta wrote: But if you had to pick out only one, then for their history and for all that they have achieved it would have to be Paul Scholes or Ryan Giggs. They are two shining examples for any player.

Davids wrote:I’m not the best, Paul Scholes is.

Vieira wrote:The player in the Premiership I admire most? Easy – Scholes.

Fabregas wrote:He is the one whose level I aspire to. He is the best player in the Premier League.

Henry wrote:I can’t understand why Scholes has never won the player of the year award. He should have won it long ago. Maybe it’s because he doesn’t seek the limelight like some of the other ‘stars’.

Mourinho wrote:Why isn’t he playing for England? It is crazy. Only in England. Scholes is a great, great player. So experienced and still, for me, one of the best in the world in midfield. Manchester United are lucky to have him.

Lippi wrote:Paul Scholes would have been one of my first choices for putting together a great team – that goes to show how highly I have always rated him. He would have been one of the first players I’d have bought, given the chance.

I couldn't find any quotes from the above about Julian Dicks....

I'm not suggesting for one minute That Julian Dicks is better than Scholes Only that Scholes has been sent off more than a supposed dirty player like Dicks.All the quotes from other footballers is very nice but Scholes has played for England on numerous occasions & didn't really set the world stage alight & as for him not winning the player of the year award perhaps the sending offs might have something to do with that.Like I've said Scholes was a good footballer but like: Rooney, Gerrard,Beckham,Terry & the rest they are all overrated.

Two sharp pencils
The Show Must Go On

Postby Two sharp pencils » Tue May 21, 2013 7:52 pm

So Liverpool & West Ham have agreed a £15 million fee for Andy Carroll - All it needs is the big man to sign on the dotted line but will he ? (hope so)

Two sharp pencils
The Show Must Go On

Postby Guru » Tue May 21, 2013 9:10 pm

Two sharp pencils wrote:I'm not suggesting for one minute That Julian Dicks is better than Scholes Only that Scholes has been sent off more than a supposed dirty player like Dicks.All the quotes from other footballers is very nice but Scholes has played for England on numerous occasions & didn't really set the world stage alight & as for him not winning the player of the year award perhaps the sending offs might have something to do with that.Like I've said Scholes was a good footballer but like: Rooney, Gerrard,Beckham,Terry & the rest they are all overrated.

OK, so you have one criteria, by which Gary Lineker is the greatest footballer of all time....

On which basis, I'm off to discuss the Large Hadron Collider on a Justin Bieber website.

Guru
The Show Must Go On

Erehwon

Postby Guru » Tue May 21, 2013 9:26 pm

Julian Dicks - 4 red cards in 379 appearances
Paul Scholes - 5 red cards in 563 appearances. Filth... :roll:

Guru
The Show Must Go On

Erehwon

PreviousNext

Return to The Game