2012-2013 Football Season

Discuss any aspects of sports here.

Re: 2012-2013 Football Season

Postby Lino » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:31 pm

that was a penalty against Borussia!! It influenced the result....
I'm a globetrotter and I'm proud of it!

Lino
The Show Must Go On

Postby Guru » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:37 pm

While I would agree that, in general, Suarez' latest transgression has been handled better than last time, I must confess to feeling uncomfortable about the Hillsborough "donation"

- It's not a Suarez donation, it's a Liverpool FC one. Suarez is fined, Liverpool have the money.
- It's not for Suarez to determine where it should go. If anyone (other than Liverpool), it should be Ivanovic.
- If Suarez feels strongly enough about it, has he matched the amount from his pocket?
- The HFSG is not a charity. I don't know what the correct term should be - possibly action group, so this is on a par with "donating" to the National Rifle Association.
- Isn't it a bit crass to be dropping the Hillsborough references as soon as he's in trouble? It smacks of an attempt to keep LIverpool fans on his side as opposed to genuine remorse.

This is not targetted at any individual post either here or elsewhere on the internet, it's a reaction to the sense I get of the kind of things that have been said. I may well be in the minority.

Guru
The Show Must Go On

Erehwon

Postby Guru » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:38 pm

Lino wrote:that was a penalty against Borussia!! It influenced the result....

He tripped over the white line on the edge of the box. No penalty. Less influential that bad defending!

Guru
The Show Must Go On

Erehwon

Postby pow wow » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:23 pm

Guru wrote:While I would agree that, in general, Suarez' latest transgression has been handled better than last time, I must confess to feeling uncomfortable about the Hillsborough "donation"

- It's not a Suarez donation, it's a Liverpool FC one. Suarez is fined, Liverpool have the money.
- It's not for Suarez to determine where it should go. If anyone (other than Liverpool), it should be Ivanovic.
- If Suarez feels strongly enough about it, has he matched the amount from his pocket?
- The HFSG is not a charity. I don't know what the correct term should be - possibly action group, so this is on a par with "donating" to the National Rifle Association.
- Isn't it a bit crass to be dropping the Hillsborough references as soon as he's in trouble? It smacks of an attempt to keep LIverpool fans on his side as opposed to genuine remorse.

This is not targetted at any individual post either here or elsewhere on the internet, it's a reaction to the sense I get of the kind of things that have been said. I may well be in the minority.

I actually agree with most of this. It was the owners decision to donate to the HFSG as in the US its the norm for sporting fines to go to a charity or in this case a support group. I did find it odd Suarez taking any credit for it though.

I dont agree with the 10 match ban, ridiculous length and actually indirectly belittles the FA's stance on racism - like the FA give it any more than lip service in the first place. But Suarez got himself in to situation so needs to suck it up. If he's still here next season he'll have my support.

The only consolation is that he's knocked Man Utds celebrations off the back pages for a while, not a bad thing :P .

pow wow
We Will Rock You

Postby Guru » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:44 pm

pow wow wrote:The only consolation is that he's knocked Man Utds celebrations off the back pages for a while, not a bad thing :P .

Conspiracy! :mrgreen:

Guru
The Show Must Go On

Erehwon

Postby Lino » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:45 pm

4-1, what a performance by Dortmund! Well done on sending Real's pride down their throats!! :onfire:

Lino
The Show Must Go On

Postby pow wow » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:18 pm

Lino wrote:4-1, what a performance by Dortmund! Well done on sending Real's pride down their throats!! :onfire:

Im a little bit in love with the Dortmund side over the last few years. Klopp has worked wonders. Brilliant performance tonight. They have and will lose their best players after this season so enjoy them while you can.

The Bundesliga have got it spot on. Theyre on the up and their games are still affordable, Bayern league ticket for £10! That reminds me, think i'll book another trip to Berlin soon.

pow wow
We Will Rock You

Postby Lino » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:24 am

I once saw Kaiserslautern vs Wolfsburg in early 2005 and paid just over 10€, where as for Serie A, when in Cagliari, we would pay around that for the tickets. In Portugal it's insanely expensive for those who don't pay monthly fees.

Borussia will loose Lewandowski to Bayern, and Bayern is something like the big power of german football, all the others are at an inferior level comparing to them.
Well if you want to check Bayern go to Munich, not Berlin :P

Lino
The Show Must Go On

Postby Elessar » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:57 pm

JLP wrote:I am not sure that calling someone South American can be racist any more than calling someone European.

I know we have debated the Suarez/Evra thing for ages and the opposite camps will never agree. For a while the pettiness of the sniping stopped me posting in this thread.

maybe it is time to lay it to rest. We all agree that Suarez was wrong this time, including the Liverpool fans on here. I wonder if he will appeal considering the more or less universal condemnation about the biting incident. Liverpool have behaved with dignity this time around so maybe in the long run, it is better for them and Suarez to accept the punishment and move on. I think if they challenge the ban, they stand to be criticised by the media.

I must admit, one of the first things I thought when I heard about the Suarez incident against Chelsea (I'm on a different time zone so I didn't see it) was that at least now I could criticise the FA over the Evra thing without being accused of being biased, because I agree that Suarez deserves a ban for the bite, and knew that the length was unlikely to exceed what I think would be reasonable (they could have probably banned him for 6 months without too much argument from me - although that's roughly what this ban amounts to).

Not true sadly. People still aren't willing to apply common sense and logic, and want Liverpool to be in the wrong. It's so, so frustrating. I almost wish Suarez would turn around and call someone a n*gger just so that I can contrast the two incidents and explain why the first was different.

I guess we'll just have to wait until Evra's autobiography in 2030.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:46 pm

Elessar wrote:I know we have debated the Suarez/Evra thing for ages and the opposite camps will never agree. For a while the pettiness of the sniping stopped me posting in this thread.

Yeah, I remember that. That was around the time that I was told to go to bed, with some pretty underhand comments about me being at school and posters threatening to tell my dad I was up that late. It's what I've become used to though.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Lino » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:22 pm

Referee of Fenerbahce - Benfica was so incompetent. Yellow card to Webo for an offside and a corner kick for Benfica that he signaled as a goal kick....

Lino
The Show Must Go On

Postby Elessar » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:05 am

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog ... ary-system

The issue here is Mark Halsey's cowardly failure to admit he got another big decision woefully wrong.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby JLP » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:56 am

Why is "Call me Dave" getting involved?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22304322
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Elessar » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:50 am

JLP wrote:Why is "Call me Dave" getting involved?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22304322

Because he's a Tory, and Suarez is a Liverpool player.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:57 am

It's like when he singled out Jimmy Carr for criticism but not Gary Barlow. Both deserved some criticism (I'd argue Barlow deserved it more), but it was inappropriate for Cameron to get involved at all. Him giving is opinion about Suarez is poor judgement at best, and at worst a cynical attempt to undo some of the damage that Andy Burnham et al have recently done to the image of Liverpool (the city) that the Tories have been carefully nurturing since the late 1970s.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

PreviousNext

Return to The Game