Wimbledon 2012

Discuss any aspects of sports here.

Re: Wimbledon 2012

Postby Elessar » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:33 pm

Kes wrote:
Isn't that a fair point though?

If Salmond gets what he's after, then the fact Murray won at Wimbledon has absolutely NO significance at all over him winning ANY other championship around the world. The significance of the event IS that Murray is the first Brit to win the men's title in over seventy years. Yes, he's Scottish, and good on hin (Murray) for being proud of that.

I just find Salmond's presence there a bit sinister, given what his agenda is. OK, you could say the same about Cameron, but he IS the prime minister of the whole she-bang, as it is at the moment.

Andy Murray is from the UK. David Cameron is Prime Minister of the UK.
Andy Murray is from Scotland. Alex Salmond is First Minister of Scotland.

If a Dunblane local councillor had rocked up with some sort of Dunblane flag, it would have been perfectly reasonable.

And also, if Salmond had flown out to New York for the US Open that Murray won a few months ago and had whipped out his flag, I think that would have been perfectly fine as well.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Kes » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:49 am

I think the point is that the scenario you mentioned is unlikely.

The way "I" saw it, the guy was pretty much evidently there for his OWN political benefit, and probably not Murray's professional one.

Anyway, it's not often the #1 ranked player in the world gets absolutely dicked by three straight sets, is it? That's a rarity in itself.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby JLP » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:04 am

They all play politics. I remember during the 2002 World Cup a New Labour politician, can't remember who, saying England would win the World Cup because we only ever won that particular trophy when there was a labour Government.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Kes » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:36 pm

I fully understand the nationalistic part of it, when you're on your home soil.

It's a bit like the Scots who attend the British Formula One Grand Prixs. In those scenarios, most of them know the common ground expands itself to Britishness, as it's the British Grand Prix, not the English one, despite it being at Silverstone.

All the Olympians who won medals last year, they won them on behalf of Britain, didn't they? Whether they were Scots like Chris Hoy, English like Bradley Wiggins, or Somalian like Mo Farar. :oops:
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Trashcat » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:21 pm

Trashcat
Spread Your Wings

Postby Elessar » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:47 pm

I feel a bit sorry for Murray. First his win was hijacked by pro- and anti-Scottish nationalists, and now it's been hijacked by feminists. Anyone who thinks British women in tennis get forgotten clearly doesn't actually watch Wimbledon, which is presented by French Open winner and Wimbledon semi-finalist Sue Barker.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby JLP » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:54 pm

Elessar wrote:I feel a bit sorry for Murray. First his win was hijacked by pro- and anti-Scottish nationalists, and now it's been hijacked by feminists. Anyone who thinks British women in tennis get forgotten clearly doesn't actually watch Wimbledon, which is presented by French Open winner and Wimbledon semi-finalist Sue Barker.

didn't a Brit win last year with a very similar surname to Andy Murray?

Why can't we just celebrate his win without all this wankiness.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Kes » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:24 am

Elessar wrote:I feel a bit sorry for Murray. First his win was hijacked by pro- and anti-Scottish nationalists, and now it's been hijacked by feminists. Anyone who thinks British women in tennis get forgotten clearly doesn't actually watch Wimbledon, which is presented by French Open winner and Wimbledon semi-finalist Sue Barker.

Makes a change from things getting hijacked by radical Islamic fundamentalists.

Saying which, I should imagine it's a nightmare even trying to watch a game of tennis in a burkha, let alone thinking about playing it in one.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Trashcat » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:09 am

I'm pretty sure Andy Murray feels secure enough in the fact that he just won Wimbledon to be okay with the fact that people are pointing out that the 'Murray ends 77-year wait for British win' headlines are incorrect. However, I'm pretty sure that Virginia Wade has every right to be pissed off right now.

Personally, I'm very fond of Sue Barker, and am happy that she's still presenting Wimbledon. But I'm not sure what your point is in relation to the '77 year' headlines is - you say that it's an indicator that British women in tennis haven't been forgotten, but I think Wadegate is a pretty big indicator in the other direction.

Trashcat
Spread Your Wings

Postby Tarkus » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:21 am

I had to remind a few people at work about 'Ginny Wade, myself.
Forks Over Knives!

"Raging in thought, mouthless, the millions obey; so call off your dogs, you preachers of what we can say."- Silent Nation, Asia.

Tarkus
The Show Must Go On

Citizen of the Silent Nation

Postby WeeMann » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:41 am

Bit of a misleading article that.

The Guardian are using the Telegraph as an example of the media writing Wade out with this headline:

After 77 years the wait is over

When, in actual fact, it reads as follows:

After 77 years the wait is over for a men's Wimbledon champion

So I guess Virginia Wade is one of these men women who always gets overlooked?

It's not often I stand up for the media, but all the articles I've seen and heard have spoken of the first MEN'S champion in 77 years, not the first champion at all.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby Trashcat » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:46 am

A very fair point, Weemann, and in that case, naughty Guardian, and bad Trashcat for not double checking her sources.

Still pissed at the likes of the Times though: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/ten ... 810624.ece

(Haven't checked the Daily Fail, even looking at the online version makes me feel dirty.)

Trashcat
Spread Your Wings

Postby WeeMann » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:01 am

Trashcat wrote:A very fair point, Weemann, and in that case, naughty Guardian, and bad Trashcat for not double checking her sources.

Still pissed at the likes of the Times though: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/ten ... 810624.ece

(Haven't checked the Daily Fail, even looking at the online version makes me feel dirty.)

Can't be arsed to trawl through and finds their original article, but this headline gives an idea of their coverage regarding female champs:

To be a Brit and win at Wimbledon is on another level, says Wade (and she'd know – she was the last!)
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby Elessar » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:41 pm

People should be far more annoyed about the bad maths:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazin ... r-23225058

And yeah, bit weird whinging about women being forgotten but more than happy for a doubles player to be forgotten. After only a year. Or indeed barely a few days based on the first link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/18757744

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:47 pm

WeeMann wrote:Bit of a misleading article that.

The Guardian are using the Telegraph as an example of the media writing Wade out with this headline:

After 77 years the wait is over

When, in actual fact, it reads as follows:

After 77 years the wait is over for a men's Wimbledon champion

So I guess Virginia Wade is one of these men women who always gets overlooked?

It's not often I stand up for the media, but all the articles I've seen and heard have spoken of the first MEN'S champion in 77 years, not the first champion at all.

Exactly. I can picture angry people (turns out it's both men and women) going through all the papers desperately looking for one that hasn't put in the 'male winner' caveat so that they can have the whinge they've been fantasising about since way back in the Henman days. I bet women languishing in prison awaiting their lashes for being raped by a man they weren't married to are particularly shocked by this horrendous journalistic scandal.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

PreviousNext

Return to The Game