Wimbledon 2012

Discuss any aspects of sports here.

Re: Wimbledon 2012

Postby Elessar » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:00 pm

Trashcat wrote:A very fair point, Weemann, and in that case, naughty Guardian, and bad Trashcat for not double checking her sources.

Still pissed at the likes of the Times though: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/ten ... 810624.ece

(Haven't checked the Daily Fail, even looking at the online version makes me feel dirty.)

The Times online preview does go up to and beyond the 24th word in their article, and my attention span can handle that.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Trashcat » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:39 pm

Elessar wrote:I bet women languishing in prison awaiting their lashes for being raped by a man they weren't married to are particularly shocked by this horrendous journalistic scandal.

It's relative. You've made the point several times of how little junior doctors earn - you don't compare it to the thousands of people being exploited worldwide for cheap labour.

Elessar wrote:The Times online preview does go up to and beyond the 24th word in their article, and my attention span can handle that.

Oh, absolutely. I don't think I've read an article that doesn't cite it as a men's win, but the issue is with the headline.

Trashcat
Spread Your Wings

Postby Elessar » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:25 pm

Trashcat wrote:
Elessar wrote:I bet women languishing in prison awaiting their lashes for being raped by a man they weren't married to are particularly shocked by this horrendous journalistic scandal.

It's relative. You've made the point several times of how little junior doctors earn - you don't compare it to the thousands of people being exploited worldwide for cheap labour.

No, whenever I've made it I've made my parameters very clear - it's less than the average amount earned by someone with an equivalent amount of training in higher education. Compared to the average human, even a British human, it is of course a good salary.

Are you taking tips on how to bring irrelevant personal points into discussions from your thankers?

Trashcat wrote:
Elessar wrote:The Times online preview does go up to and beyond the 24th word in their article, and my attention span can handle that.

Oh, absolutely. I don't think I've read an article that doesn't cite it as a men's win, but the issue is with the headline.

If only every headline contained all the detail of the story! Then all we'd need to read is the headlines!
I guess if that were the case, the headlines might be quite long though, so maybe we'd need some sort of summary, perhaps in larger writing, above the headline. We could call it a headheadline.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:55 pm

Imagine if in 2014 England win the World Cup (this is of course nigh on impossible to imagine). The headline might read: "England end 48 years of hurt". The fact that it's strictly speaking 44 years notwithstanding, this headline would, like the Murray headlines, have failed to actually specify the competition. The Murray headlines fail to specify it was the Men's Wimbledon tournament; the World Cup ones have failed to specify it was the FIFA (Men's) World Cup.

England of course won the Rugby (Union) (Men's) World Cup in 2003. I'm sure they've won other world cups since 1966 as well. There might even be a women's football team nowadays.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby JLP » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:41 am

I just watched the documentary about Andy Murray on BBC1. The emotion he went through when asked about the Dunblane massacre was very moving.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Trashcat » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:18 am

Elessar wrote:No, whenever I've made it I've made my parameters very clear - it's less than the average amount earned by someone with an equivalent amount of training in higher education. Compared to the average human, even a British human, it is of course a good salary.

Are you taking tips on how to bring irrelevant personal points into discussions from your thankers?

Nope. I used an example as apparently the parameters here weren't clear enough without being specified. I don't think there was really a need to cite such an extreme example in the other direction.

Elessar wrote:If only every headline contained all the detail of the story! Then all we'd need to read is the headlines!
I guess if that were the case, the headlines might be quite long though, so maybe we'd need some sort of summary, perhaps in larger writing, above the headline. We could call it a headheadline.

Saw that coming a mile off. Look, if the roles were reversed, there would definitely be backlash from male tennis fans if there were headlines failing to state the end of a wait for a women's victory specifically. Fo' srs.

Trashcat
Spread Your Wings

Postby Trashcat » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:19 am

Trotting swiftly out of this forum, catch you chaps on the flipside.

Trashcat
Spread Your Wings

Postby Elessar » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:27 am

Trashcat wrote:
Saw that coming a mile off. Look, if the roles were reversed, there would definitely be backlash from male tennis fans if there were headlines failing to state the end of a wait for a women's victory specifically. Fo' srs.

What, if the headline "Laura Robson wins tin plate for winning two sets" failed to specify that it was a women's competition? I think people would probably have guessed.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:52 pm

Pissed off Virginia Wade doesn't sound pissed off to me:
http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/220473.html

I guess there are enough people to be pissed off on her behalf or, as she seems to say, acting pissed off.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby jimbo » Sat May 10, 2014 6:58 am

JLP wrote:I just watched the documentary about Andy Murray on BBC1. The emotion he went through when asked about the Dunblane massacre was very moving.

Am a bit late to this discussion, as I've only just found the sports section on this website after a whole year :lol:

But yes I agree about the above, and it was a good documentary. Andy always sounds dull and boring when speaking due to his natural tone of voice sounding that way, which he can't help. But it seems he can be a good laugh, and clearly gets emotional about things, as well as being incredibly intense on the court.

I am a fan, but he's lost it really since winning Wimbledon last year, hasn't played well at all, which is understandable, but somehow he needs to get focussed again, or he'll never win another title of any sort, which would be sad after an amazing career so far!
Hot Space is actually only my 6th favourite Queen album.
(But is a very underrated album in my opinion).

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

Previous

Return to The Game