Formula 1 - 2013 Season

Discuss any aspects of sports here.

Re: Formula 1 - 2013 Season

Postby WeeMann » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:59 am

I rate Webber as I do Barrichello and Coulthard. They're three of the best drivers of the recent era but have always been stuck in either a crap car or in a team where they're up against a number one who they have to support.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby Kes » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:04 am

I think Vettel learnt how the game was played in his first full season with RBR.

All the time that either of them had real potential to win the driver's championship, the team treated them evenly. Pretty much up until that incident when they were 1 & 2, and took each other out. From that point on, I think Vettel now expects if he has more points, he has priority over Mark, for the best developments, best mechanics, and team orders to go in his favour.

He can say sorry for what he did the other day to Mark until the cows come home, what REALLY matters to him is 25 points in the bag, and that the person in the only car that can match his, gets less support than he does. He's not f*cking stupid. Webber's chance of ever earning a world title, largely depend on Sebastian Vettel NOT winning another one.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Gavinio » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:52 am

I'd say it's that ruthlessness that marks him as a great driver. Can you imagine Senna ever doing accepting team orders?

Gavinio
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:46 am

My major over-riding perception in the difference between Senna and Vettel, is that Senna could have probably managed a podium in a pedal car. Although the man is obviously a great driver, Vettel's reliance on the "team", is much more a factor in why he's a triple world champion, than it was in Senna's day.

This is something Seb shouldn't forget. If he doesn't work for the team, then he can't always expect the team to work for him.

At the end of the day, RBR finished one and two, but his championship could easily rely on Webber doing his bit, keeping the opposition two places down the finishing order in future races. In his shoes, I wouldn't be pissing off my team mate, even if I DID only see him as a supporting player.

There's not really much doubt that the best driver/car combination over the last three years has patently been Vettel/RBR, but like the football premiership, this is starting to generically become a championship to see who can get second place over the year, and I don't think that's down to just the drivers. If I was to try and hone it down to one person, it would probably be Adrian Newey, as much as it is Sebastian Vettel, though as I said before, two people don't make a whole team.

A couple of years ago, I never thought I'd ever say this about the bloke, but Alonso deserved it last year, just for the sheer effort of consistently placing what was effectively only the third or fourth fastest car in the points. I don't think the current points system evens the balance when there's a dominent team on the grid.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby WeeMann » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:21 pm

Kes wrote:If I was to try and hone it down to one person, it would probably be Adrian Newey, as much as it is Sebastian Vettel, though as I said before, two people don't make a whole team.

A mate of mine went on a corporate trip to Williams last year and got chatting to one of the engineers there. he asked whether they'd grab Vettel if they had the chance. The response? "No, we'd rather get Newey."

Anyway, just seen this online:

DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Postby Kes » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:09 pm

That reminds me, I REALLY need to buy a bag of pork scratchings!

The dogs love 'em :oops:
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:19 pm

First time I ever met, or for that matter even heard of Adrian Newey, it was at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in 1994. He worked for Williams back then, and the great Ayrton Senna had recently lost his life at the San Marino GP.

Interesting bloke to talk to. I'm pretty sure that following Senna's crash, he didn't actually do another productive day at Williams, despite seeing out his contract with them before moving to McLaren.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Bad Guy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:00 pm

Looks like Webber is offski at the end of the season and leaving F1. Don't blame him. I certainly wouldn't wanna be team mate to that whining little shit.

Bad Guy
The Show Must Go On

Postby Leigh Burne » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:29 pm

That sucks, I like Webber. Ran into him once (not literally, no pun intended), really nice guy.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Wed May 15, 2013 2:12 pm

So, this season's all about the dynamics of tyres and how you get the compromise of your car to go faster without wearing them out.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Sun May 19, 2013 2:32 pm

McLaren and Honda for 2014.

Those with a decent long term memory will think back to Senna, McLaren and Honda being a virtually unbeatable combination
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Bad Guy » Sun May 19, 2013 5:07 pm

Kes wrote:McLaren and Honda for 2014.

They will be joining up in 2015, next season will be the last of the McLaren Mercedes partnership.

Bad Guy
The Show Must Go On

Postby Bad Guy » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:22 pm

Off to Silverstone next weekend - can't wait :D

Bad Guy
The Show Must Go On

Postby WeeMann » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:53 pm

Jealous!

have a great time.

WeeMann

Postby Leigh Burne » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:29 am

Bad Guy wrote:Off to Silverstone next weekend - can't wait :D

I gotta be honest... I went to Silverstone a few years back and I thought it was kinda dull. I couldn't help but feel I could've just been watching it on TV and seeing a whole lot more of the race. And because it was just in the UK, it wasn't like it was a holiday either. Who knows, maybe we just picked a crap section to stand at :)

I certainly hope you enjoy it though!
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

PreviousNext

Return to The Game