Cycling

Discuss any aspects of sports here.

Re: Cycling

Postby fairydandy » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:01 pm

So, I bought some Aftershokz Trekz Titanium Bluetooth bone conducting headphones that send the sound through the bone to the ear, enabling noise around you (cars!) to still be heard. Well, they are good, but they hurt a bit around the ear when wearing sunglasses as well. So, then I see that they now do a helmet with the same technology, but the bone conductors in the helmet strap. I had to buy one of course...I'll let you know how it is. ;)

https://www.cyclerepublic.com/catalog/p ... gJ_lvD_BwE

Low mileage this year, will be around 6700 miles... :?
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8607
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 429 times

Re: Cycling

Postby fairydandy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:20 pm

Yeah, the cycling helmet with the earphones is ok. It's a little bit tinny, but at least it's music and I can still hear the traffic.

I will finish at around 6400 miles this year, my lowest for 5 years. I have put on about 7 pounds recently and I need to bloody well sort it! But tonight, well tonight, the diet is off and I'm eating like a pig...not to mention looking like one. :P
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8607
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 429 times

Re: Cycling

Postby Elessar » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:16 am

I was reunited with my bike today after 2 months. It was emotional. I’m still on a bit of a high after my first ride since August. Casual 40km. Need to fix the steering though, I clearly reassembled it incorrectly after it came apart in transit.
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 11170
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 181 times

Re: Cycling

Postby fairydandy » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:21 pm

Elessar wrote:I was reunited with my bike today after 2 months. It was emotional. I’m still on a bit of a high after my first ride since August. Casual 40km. Need to fix the steering though, I clearly reassembled it incorrectly after it came apart in transit.


Get it fixed! I'm sure YouTube will have a 'bike maintenance for dummies' video to show you how. ;)

This has been my worst year out of the last six. I will be down to 5500 miles. It's hard work, but I will get that back up next year to around 7k.
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8607
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 429 times

Re: Cycling

Postby fairydandy » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:23 pm

40kms, that's 24.85 miles for the old people here... :P
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8607
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 429 times

Re: Cycling

Postby Elessar » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:09 pm

fairydandy wrote:40kms, that's 24.85 miles for the old people here... :P


Don’t worry, you’ll be able to go back to measuring your bananas in shillings soon...
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 11170
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 181 times

Re: Cycling

Postby fairydandy » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:28 pm

Elessar wrote:
fairydandy wrote:40kms, that's 24.85 miles for the old people here... :P


Don’t worry, you’ll be able to go back to measuring your bananas in shillings soon...


:twisted:
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8607
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 429 times

Re: Cycling

Postby Elessar » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:55 am

fairydandy wrote:
Elessar wrote:I was reunited with my bike today after 2 months. It was emotional. I’m still on a bit of a high after my first ride since August. Casual 40km. Need to fix the steering though, I clearly reassembled it incorrectly after it came apart in transit.


Get it fixed! I'm sure YouTube will have a 'bike maintenance for dummies' video to show you how. ;)

This has been my worst year out of the last six. I will be down to 5500 miles. It's hard work, but I will get that back up next year to around 7k.


Turns out one of the bearings cages in the headset (these are all terms I didn’t know the meaning of 48 hours ago) had twisted and snapped, so there were loose ball bearings in the headset. It had probably been like that for years but then when I took the handlebars off, they came free and as a result the headset wouldn’t sit right when I put it back together.

I’ve managed to straighten the remainder of the cage out so it’s all a lot more snug but ultimately it’s going to need replacing. Hopefully I can source the appropriate parts...
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 11170
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 181 times

Re: Cycling

Postby Elessar » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:14 pm

fairydandy wrote:
Elessar wrote:I was reunited with my bike today after 2 months. It was emotional. I’m still on a bit of a high after my first ride since August. Casual 40km. Need to fix the steering though, I clearly reassembled it incorrectly after it came apart in transit.


Get it fixed! I'm sure YouTube will have a 'bike maintenance for dummies' video to show you how. ;)

This has been my worst year out of the last six. I will be down to 5500 miles. It's hard work, but I will get that back up next year to around 7k.


Is your bike a racing road bike? Mine is, and it’s been fine for all the cycling I’ve done with it - Paris to Nice with no luggage, daily 20 mile commutes, that kind of thing. But I’m planning a ~300 mile ride over a week, and I’ll need panniers and some of the roads will be fairly poor quality because of earthquakes and that sort of mischief. I’ll only need to carry some clothes, toothbrush, snacks etc. Obviously I’m not camping :roll:. I’m not sure my bike will be suitable...maybe with some light panniers and minimal luggage, and some slightly thicker tyres?
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 11170
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 181 times

Re: Cycling

Postby fairydandy » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:51 pm

Elessar wrote:
Is your bike a racing road bike? Mine is, and it’s been fine for all the cycling I’ve done with it - Paris to Nice with no luggage, daily 20 mile commutes, that kind of thing. But I’m planning a ~300 mile ride over a week, and I’ll need panniers and some of the roads will be fairly poor quality because of earthquakes and that sort of mischief. I’ll only need to carry some clothes, toothbrush, snacks etc. Obviously I’m not camping :roll:. I’m not sure my bike will be suitable...maybe with some light panniers and minimal luggage, and some slightly thicker tyres?


Mine is a road bike, but with flat handlebars instead of drops. Panniers should be possible and you can probably fit some thicker and even wider tyres to your rims. I have Marathon+ tyres on mine and they are a bit heavier, but the puncture protection is outstanding.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-marath ... road-tyre/

Image
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8607
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 429 times

Re: Cycling

Postby fairydandy » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:55 pm

Thanks for posting in miles instead of kms by the way... :P
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8607
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 429 times

Re: Cycling

Postby Elessar » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:37 am

It survived a 30 mile (you’re welcome) ride today with some serious hills, but it still needs properly fixing in the week, especially as I have a week-long ride planned.

Is yours a racing bike or a touring bike? Mine is racing, and on the big hills today I was in the lowest gear with nowhere left to go, which isn’t ideal. Maybe I should consider getting a new gear set...
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 11170
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 181 times

Re: Cycling

Postby fairydandy » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:53 pm

Elessar wrote:It survived a 30 mile (you’re welcome) ride today with some serious hills, but it still needs properly fixing in the week, especially as I have a week-long ride planned.

Is yours a racing bike or a touring bike? Mine is racing, and on the big hills today I was in the lowest gear with nowhere left to go, which isn’t ideal. Maybe I should consider getting a new gear set...



My bike is essentially a 'racing' (road) bike, but with flat handlebars. You could consider a new gear set, but it's probably your legs that have nowhere to go! :P

I have probably told you about my ride from Puerto Pollenca to Cap de Formentor in Majorca on a heavy 7 speed city bike (the ones with a shopping basket on the front). It was worth it just for the looks on the faces of the 'serious' cyclists who were up there on their fancy carbon numbers. One of my best days ever.. :P
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8607
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 429 times

Re: Cycling

Postby Elessar » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:28 am

All kitted out!
Attachments
6113632A-F306-4D16-A6DA-E325028A7D2A.jpeg
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 11170
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 181 times

Re: Cycling

Postby fairydandy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:03 pm

Elessar wrote:All kitted out!


Great stuff! I'm envious that you are over there... ;)
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8607
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 429 times

PreviousNext

Return to The Game

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron