Cycling

Discuss any aspects of sports here.

Cycling

Postby fairydandy » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:34 pm

Anyone into it?
Last edited by fairydandy on Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Re: Cycling?

Postby Kes » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:06 am

I live about five miles away from Boxhill, the major scene of outdoor pedalling at last year's Olympics.

Every f*cking Sunday "ALL" the local roads are clogged up with these twats in skin tight lycra pretending they are f*cking Bradley Wiggins, riding six abreast. I'm sure they think they look like the dog's nuts, but the reality is that it seems even golfers have better dress sense.

Being honest, I think it's about time the government started hitting them for road tax, as they spend so long on them.

Transport was invented for getting from A to B, not from A, back to f*cking A again. :shock: Driving 40-50 miles, to ride a bike round in BIG circles not actually getting anywhere. Yep, although the cycling is about as environmentally friendly as you can get, the "getting to" the cycling probably isn't. And they get the added bonus that after ten laps of Boxhill, they then walk round looking like they've found a new "on-board" stowage location for their drinks bottles.

Honestly, I don't mind cycling or cyclists, as long as it's proportionate. Unfortunately, if you happen to be around Leatherhead or Dorking on a Sunday, you'd probably agree that "proportionate" is one thing it definitely isn't.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby fairydandy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:18 am

Edited
Last edited by fairydandy on Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby Elessar » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:27 pm

fairydandy wrote:
Kes wrote:
Being honest, I think it's about time the government started hitting them for road tax, as they spend so long on them.

Vehicle Excise Duty is a tax on vehicles, not on 'roads'. Given that many cars are now exempt because of low emissions, I hardly see how it's fair to charge a cyclist! I would rather the government had a massive crackdown on the number of cars that now park on pavements (mostly because of double yellow lines that are now meaningless) and verges, because it's completely out of control.

I read that the other day as well!

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Kes » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:24 pm

Maybe that's what they SHOULD be doing, screwing any anti-social behaviour, rather than running down public services.

Funny how when literally EVERYBODY in the public service industry is under pressure to lose 20% of their budget, we still have exactly the same number of MPs falling asleep in the House of Commons. I said ages ago that most politicians were out to screw everyone else, while looking after themselves, it just seems a bit more obvious now.

Anyways, good on the cyclists who enjoy what they do. I still think that if it becomes as popular as it is round the Olympic road route at the moment, that they should have their own facility, instead of making themselves like the flying element of a grouse shoot by incorporating the A24 dual carriageway into their circuit training.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Lino » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:55 pm

as much as you see a bike as a transportation, many people choose to ride it instead of paying high monthly fees at a gym. I see more and more people around here, and others use it as a warming up for rowers, for example. Here in Portugal, apart from one or two regions, riding a bike as transportation is an epic journey as we are a very hilly country.
I'm a globetrotter and I'm proud of it!

Lino
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:44 am

Nah, the company I work for are going all out to subsidise people buying bikes to cycle into work.

As I live 62 miles away from the place, and travel to and from every work day (a 12 hour shift), I'd probably arrive home just with time to have a quick sandwich, a shower, and then to set off again on my way back.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Lino » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:25 am

do some training and you can get the pink shirt of the Giro d'Italia :P
I'm a globetrotter and I'm proud of it!

Lino
The Show Must Go On

Postby Guru » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:32 pm

fairydandy wrote:Vehicle Excise Duty is a tax on vehicles, not on 'roads'.

wikipedia wrote: A vehicle (from Latin: vehiculum) is a mobile machine that transports passengers or cargo. Most often, vehicles are manufactured, such as bicycles, cars, trucks, buses, motorcycles, trains, ships, boats and aircraft.

Petty point-scoring aside, cyclists are hypocrites (and I am one, or more accurately, both). Their (highly generalised) response to being the more vulnerable side in any potential collision is to mount the pavement into an environment where they're much safer and other people become vulnerable to them.

They run red lights with utter impunity, go the wrong way down one way streets, fail to indicate, or have lights, and use zebra crossings as a slip lane between pavement and road (wait until the traffic stops, then ride off in front of them).

Unless & until we have dedicated cycle paths, bikes should be banned.

Guru
The Show Must Go On

Erehwon

Postby Bad Guy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:42 pm

Guru wrote:

wikipedia wrote: A vehicle (from Latin: vehiculum) is a mobile machine that transports passengers or cargo. Most often, vehicles are manufactured, such as bicycles, cars, trucks, buses, motorcycles, trains, ships, boats and aircraft.

Petty point-scoring aside, cyclists are hypocrites (and I am one, or more accurately, both). Their (highly generalised) response to being the more vulnerable side in any potential collision is to mount the pavement into an environment where they're much safer and other people become vulnerable to them.

They run red lights with utter impunity, go the wrong way down one way streets, fail to indicate, or have lights, and use zebra crossings as a slip lane between pavement and road (wait until the traffic stops, then ride off in front of them).

Unless & until we have dedicated cycle paths, bikes should be banned.

Totally agree. Dunno how many times I've been crossing the road when the green man signal is showing yet I've had to stop cos some idiot on a bike decides to ignore the red light and zoom right in front of me. If you are gonna cycle on the road, obey the fucking rules.

Bad Guy
The Show Must Go On

Postby Elessar » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:14 pm

Guru wrote:

If bikes count as vehicles, I'm sure low-emission cars also count as vehicles, but they have reduced tax.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Re: Not about cycling - just a moan about it

Postby Elessar » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:19 pm

Someone's going to get arrested!

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby fairydandy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:34 pm

Elessar wrote:Someone's going to get arrested!

So many cyclists (and cars) have these cameras nowadays...and they need them! This is common assault and he should be made to pay.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby Cool Cat » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:00 pm

The cyclist and the guy in the car are a pair of pricks.
Oooh, you're a Cool Cat , Coming on strong with all the chit chat

Cool Cat
Don't Stop Me Now

See Me In The Shadows

Postby fairydandy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:13 pm

Cool Cat wrote:The cyclist and the guy in the car are a pair of pricks.

To be fair, the cyclist did provoke him, but the driver's response was way over the top.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Next

Return to The Game