Discuss any aspects of sports here.

Re: Formula 1 - 2014 Season

Postby Bad Guy » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:20 pm

Next race - Silverstone, can't wait :D

Bad Guy
The Show Must Go On

Postby Bad Guy » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:21 pm

Not long back from Silverstone. Best. Weekend. Ever.

Bad Guy
The Show Must Go On

Postby Leigh Burne » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:32 pm

Slightly disappointed we were denied the battle between Rosberg and Hamilton. Sad for Massa but glad Bottas at least did well!
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby WeeMann » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:40 pm

Massa's save was incredible. Watching the onboard shot, even knowing what was happening to Kimi, I couldn't see enough to have escaped a major shunt, but somehow he knew and was able to respond. I'm sure there are many drivers on the grid who, in that situation, would have t-boned Kimi's car.

Sad about Nico going out, but it keeps the battle alive - I can see this going all the way to the last race.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby Leigh Burne » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:50 pm

WeeMann wrote:Massa's save was incredible. Watching the onboard shot, even knowing what was happening to Kimi, I couldn't see enough to have escaped a major shunt, but somehow he knew and was able to respond. I'm sure there are many drivers on the grid who, in that situation, would have t-boned Kimi's car.

Kinda reminded me of when Vergne's tyre disintegrated right in front of Kimi last year, and he somehow managed to avoid all the crap flying at him from point-blank range.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Coops » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:25 pm

I'm glad nobody was hurt but how dumb was Raikkonen to cause all that anyway? Fair enough, he ran wide. But to then try to rejoin the track...AT FULL SPEED... just beggars belief, a real rookie error and not one you'd expect from such a seasoned driver. Perhaps he thought he was back rallying again or something.

Coops
Spread Your Wings

Postby Leigh Burne » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:44 pm

Not really sure it was his fault. He hit a huge bump that probably shouldn't have been there.

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Bad Guy » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:39 pm

Leigh Burne wrote:Not really sure it was his fault. He hit a huge bump that probably shouldn't have been there.

I'm not sure what to make of the incident. On one hand I'm sure he didn't mean to cause such an accident, but at the same time it was dangerous the way he drove back onto the track. If it were Maldonado, he would've been slaughtered by the press and fans by now.

Bad Guy
The Show Must Go On

Postby WeeMann » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:44 am

I don't think what he was doing was dangerous. If you watch this video from 0:56 he's just taking the kind of line any one of them would to re-join the track - he hit something unexpected.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/28184727
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby Leigh Burne » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:36 am

Exactly. It's not like he just swung back on straight into a load of traffic, the road was clear. He just had no way of knowing he was gonna hit a massive bump that was gonna fling him into the barriers.

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Coops » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:28 am

Leigh Burne wrote:Not really sure it was his fault. He hit a huge bump that probably shouldn't have been there.

Sure, and although I do admire his 'f*** it' attitude the surface off-track is so uneven that the car was likely to be less stable the faster it got. So hoofing it up to maximum would only compound the risk. Put it down to a lapse but a driver of his experience should've known better.

Coops
Spread Your Wings

Postby Leigh Burne » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:10 am

Coops wrote:Sure, and although I do admire his 'f*** it' attitude the surface off-track is so uneven that the car was likely to be less stable the faster it got. So hoofing it up to maximum would only compound the risk. Put it down to a lapse but a driver of his experience should've known better.

He was on a huge tarmacked run-off area. Plenty of other tracks have them, and plenty of drivers drive across them at full speed. They don't tend to hit hidden bumps that throw them into the wall, so I don't see why Raikonnen should've expected it.

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Coops » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:31 pm

I'm not sure many of them would dive back into the pack like Raikkonen did, that was high risk in itself, and bump or no bump the run-off area isnt meant for full speed. I don't think many drivers would speed through at top whack in case of damage to the undertray as much as anything else. Let's see if he can bounce back in Germany, although don't get me started on the new layout...

I LIKED THE OLD BIG LONG HOCKENHEIM!!!

Sorry :oops:

Coops
Spread Your Wings

Postby Bad Guy » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:00 pm

Brilliant race and for the first time in a long time there was action from the first to the last lap. Some brilliant overtaking at the hairpin, and Lewis was unlucky as I think he thought Jenson was opening the door for him.

Can't wait for Hungary, can Lewis win there for the 5th time?!

Bad Guy
The Show Must Go On

Postby Leigh Burne » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:18 pm

Bad Guy wrote:Brilliant race and for the first time in a long time there was action from the first to the last lap.

Yeah, was great!

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

PreviousNext

Return to The Game