FIFA World Cup 2014

Discuss any aspects of sports here.

Re: FIFA World Cup 2014

Postby Cool Cat » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:48 pm

Fairy tale over for Costa Rica, but they played their part. Well done the Dutch, took their pens very professionally.
Oooh, you're a Cool Cat , Coming on strong with all the chit chat

Cool Cat
Don't Stop Me Now

See Me In The Shadows

Postby Elessar » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:10 pm

This thread renders BBC Sport obsolete.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Lino » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:01 am

Costa Rica were tough, Netherlands had a hard job, van Gaal was smart to enter a goalkeeper in the end of extra-time.
I'm now rooting for Netherlands or Brazil. They're the ones who deserve to win it.
I'm a globetrotter and I'm proud of it!

Lino
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:59 am

All I was saying was that maybe the representation of teams from continents should be at least, a "bit" more proportional.

It strikes me all a South American team has to do, is exist, to get a place in the last 32.

I just found it amazing that half of the teams in South America pretty much automatically qualify, and bearing in mind that compared to Brazil and Argentina, the best part of the half that don't are probably crap, then it's hardly a struggle for teams like Brazil and Argentina.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:16 am

Kes wrote:Have to see if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking...

Germany
Brazil
Netherlands
Argentina

for the semi-finals.

We shall see.

On the back of that, now I'm not sure if I'd plump for an all European final, or an all South American one. Hmm, OK, Germany vs Holland for the final.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Two sharp pencils » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:59 am

FIFA will make sure it's a Argentina v Brazil final...............

Two sharp pencils
The Show Must Go On

Postby Elessar » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:50 am

Kes wrote:All I was saying was that maybe the representation of teams from continents should be at least, a "bit" more proportional.

It strikes me all a South American team has to do, is exist, to get a place in the last 32.

I just found it amazing that half of the teams in South America pretty much automatically qualify, and bearing in mind that compared to Brazil and Argentina, the best part of the half that don't are probably crap, then it's hardly a struggle for teams like Brazil and Argentina.

Well, the rest of South America has won more world cups than England, Holland, Portugal, Belgium, Sweden and Ukraine combined.

The problem here is that there's an enormous continent of some 450million people, and it's only split into 13 countries. You can be fairly confident that if Brazil was cut in half, both halves would be good at football. 4 out of the top 10 FIFA ranked teams are South America - only half of them are Brazil or Argentina. The team that finished one place outside CONMEBOL qualification - Venezuela - are ranked ahead of Iran, Nigeria, Japan, Cameroon, South Korea and Australia, and they were all in this year's cup. Uruguay, who took CONMEBOL's last qualification place, are ranked 7th in the world.

There are attempts at inter-confederation play-offs so that geography isn't quite as big an advantage as it currently is, while keeping it a global event and not shutting out the Asian or African teams. There used to be a play-off between the 5th CONMEBOL team and the winner of Oceania. CONMEBOL always won, and Australia never qualified. Australia decided to join Asia in footballing terms, and now qualify every time.

The simple truth is that football excels in South America and in Europe, and that's where the lion's share of finals spaces go to, and it's also where every single trophy has gone to. Rugby is very Six Nations and Antipodes-centric. South America only gets one team there, and the UK alone gets 4!

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby JLP » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:02 am

I suppose you could argue that the African continent should get better represention due to the number of countries in contains but most of them are below the standard of many South American or European national teams. Hard to make the tournament even bigger. Hell I remember the days of 16 teams when England failed to qualify twice in the 1970s.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Cool Cat » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:20 am

Elessar wrote:This thread renders BBC Sport obsolete.

It does now :roll:
Oooh, you're a Cool Cat , Coming on strong with all the chit chat

Cool Cat
Don't Stop Me Now

See Me In The Shadows

Postby Elessar » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:21 am

JLP wrote:I suppose you could argue that the African continent should get better represention due to the number of countries in contains but most of them are below the standard of many South American or European national teams. Hard to make the tournament even bigger. Hell I remember the days of 16 teams when England failed to qualify twice in the 1970s.

There are rumours of expansion to 40.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Lino » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:09 pm

that would be excessive.
I believe that each confederation should get, at least, one place, I believe it would make the Oceania competition bigger, and New Zealand and Tahiti would have conditions to qualify...
I'm a globetrotter and I'm proud of it!

Lino
The Show Must Go On

Postby Elessar » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:20 pm

Lino wrote:that would be excessive.
I believe that each confederation should get, at least, one place, I believe it would make the Oceania competition bigger, and New Zealand and Tahiti would have conditions to qualify...

40 is fine. 8 groups of 5, top 2 go through. It would mean 80 games in the group stages instead of the current 48, and then the knock-out stages would be unchanged. The tournament would have to be about 4 days longer. More countries involved, more matches, more revenue, more upsets...it would be good all round.

Expanding the Euros to 24, on the other hand, is a bad idea because of the complicated way they're going to do the group stages and third place qualification.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Khashoggi » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:58 pm

Brazil is going to be a tough opponent for us Germans, but I do believe that we will win the game and move into the final. We haven't yet played the football we are actually able to pull off, we have a great team and great individual players. Pretty strong spirit, the best goal keeper in the world, a great defense - and hungry players who will score!
It's incredible that we are that good and constant, through all of the years. Now it's pretty much time to bring it home!

I believe the final will actually be Germany against our neighbors, the Netherlands. We will beat them in the final, and we'll win the cup. If not now...then it's not going to happen to us in the coming years. England, Spain, Italy, Portugal, France...so many huge teams already back home.
One thing is for sure: Germany is very, very hard to beat! Brazil will (hopefully) experience that, too.
2005 / Queen + Paul Rodgers, (Köln)
2008 / Queen + Paul Rodgers, (Hannover)
2015 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Köln)
2016 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Köln)
2017 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Munich)
2018 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Köln)

Khashoggi
We Will Rock You

Take a holiday on Khashoggi's Ship..

Postby jimbo » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:58 pm

magic action wrote:belgium currently plays an embarrassingly bad game

no team has more respect for its opponent than belgium. i couldnt watch it anymore, its a shambles :roll:

:roll:
Hot Space is actually only my 6th favourite Queen album.
(But is a very underrated album in my opinion).

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

Postby jimbo » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:01 pm

Lino wrote:Costa Rica were tough, Netherlands had a hard job, van Gaal was smart to enter a goalkeeper in the end of extra-time.
I'm now rooting for Netherlands or Brazil. They're the ones who deserve to win it.

Yeah I said before the quarter-finals that I hoped for a Brazil v Holland final, but still think my prediction of a Germany v Argentina final (which I predicted before the tournamant started) is more likely unfortunately!
Hot Space is actually only my 6th favourite Queen album.
(But is a very underrated album in my opinion).

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

PreviousNext

Return to The Game