UEFA (EUFA) Euro 2016

Discuss any aspects of sports here.

Re: UEFA (EUFA) Euro 2016

Postby Kes » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:58 am

Doesn't Coleen Rooney often do the Iceland ads?

That could be a bit painful for Wayne.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Two sharp pencils » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm

We have to get away from only picking players from the big clubs or on their reputation. Leicester won the league & only Vardy reflected this. Both Drinkwater & centre back Wes Morgan should have been in the squad on their form. Good player that Wilshire may be he only played one game for Arsenal how has he been good enough to make the team / squad ? As for Sterling ....... Hart has been making goal keeping errors on a pretty regular basis & yet stays in the team when Rob Green made one mistake & has never made the squad again ?? Wayne Rooney has now been to two World Cups & two Euro's & still hasn't done anything of note, no doubt the new manager will continue to pick him. All the Spurs boys deserved to be in the Squad but both Kane & Ali unfortunately were either too tired or ran out of form but Roy insisted with Ali instead of giving Barkley a go. England should pick a squad on the strength of which player is playing well for his club even if that club is : Stoke, West Brom or Man Utd.

Two sharp pencils
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:50 pm

I think more than form, should be constructing a "team" of players who can adapt to each other, and act as a cohesive unit together. If they happen to be in-form superstars who can do that, all the better.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Two sharp pencils » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:47 pm

Kes wrote:I think more than form, should be constructing a "team" of players who can adapt to each other, and act as a cohesive unit together. If they happen to be in-form superstars who can do that, all the better.

The trouble is we keep on picking the same old players time after time. Take Rooney for example what has he done in the last two World cups & last two euros ? Basically not a lot but because there is this media build up of players like Rooney who they claim are World class when all Rooney is, is a good player but not World class. If you look at the winning World cup team of 1966 we had players playing from Leicester, Fulham, Leeds, Man Utd, Liverpool, west Ham & Blackpool. Alf Ramsey picked the best players but it didn't matter who they played for unlike the England team of today. A great striker, probably England's best in Jimmy Greaves got injured in the group stages & Geoff Hurst replaced him. By the time of the Quarter finals Jimmy was fit & expected to play but Alf told him that Geoff has done well & keeps his place. As we all know the rest is History. If Rooney or for Example Steven Gerrard were injured it wouldn't matter who replaced them or if they had played well Rooney or Gerrard would be straight back in & we wonder why the England team is so complacent, all the players know they will play no matter how badly they perform.

Two sharp pencils
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:07 am

It was a shame to see the Welsh team bouncing up and down at England's embarrassing performance.

It just goes to show the way the Welsh and the Scots REALLY see their neighbours.

Quite honestly, personally I don't know ANYONE who'd show ANY joy if the situation was the other way around.

I genuinely hope the Welsh go as far as possible in this tournament. Good on them being able to play well as a team.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Two sharp pencils » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:22 am

Kes wrote:It was a shame to see the Welsh team bouncing up and down at England's embarrassing performance.

It just goes to show the way the Welsh and the Scots REALLY see their neighbours.

Quite honestly, personally I don't know ANYONE who'd show ANY joy if the situation was the other way around.

I genuinely hope the Welsh go as far as possible in this tournament. Good on them being able to play well as a team.

I agree that us English seem to enjoy Wales, Scotland & both Ireland's doing well & yet they definitely do not like us doing well. Same goes for our football teams in Europe, if it's Chelsea or Arsenal playing against Real Madrid then I'm hoping " our " team goes through even though I've no love for either Chelsea or Arsenal.

Two sharp pencils
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:27 pm

As they say in Wales "Kinell"

Brilliantly done, the Welsh national football team. I genuinely think the Belgians have a better football team than Portugal, and you've just seen off the Belgians in complete style.

All that needs doing now is for Iceland to beat France, and then the winners of Germany/Italy, and we have a dream final.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Elessar » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:42 pm

Belgium should have had a penalty and Wales should have had a red card, but fair play to them, they finished the game off and they're in the semis, and should surely fancy their chances against a Portugal who haven't exactly shone so far, and whose star player is teammates with Wales'.

It's awkward for me, because I always try to deny my Welshness out of a desire to be more Irish, so I feel I can't really celebrate this cup run too much! That said, I was born in Cardiff and my mother is possibly the most Welsh person in Europe.

I'm rooting for Italy to win the thing outright, but I suspect they may fall short tomorrow. However, Germany have NEVER beaten Italy in a competitive match.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Kes » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:10 am

Personally, although I was born in England, I've lived in both Scotland and Wales for more than three years in each. From that aspect, my nationality is what it says on my passport, British, and maybe that's why I like to see ALL British sports people doing well over other nationalities.

Although my preference is for England when we meet another British team, I don't think I'd ever take delight in seeing a British team beaten by somebody else. That's why that video of the Welsh team enjoying England's defeat by Iceland makes me a bit sad. Far from being a unifying force, patriotism can also be a bit divisive, as we've found out elsewhere recently.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:55 pm

Looks like Iceland's gone to Mum's, tonight!
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Elessar » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:49 pm

I worry that Wales are an early 2-0 scoreline away from being completely found out, like Iceland. While they can stay in the game, they can always sneak a winner, but once they dal 2 behind, they could be looking at the kind of scoreline seen in their more familiar national sport (rugby).

That said, Wales play attacking football, whereas traditionally the successful underdogs (Iceland, Greece) tend to park the bus. However, Leicester won the league by attacking. Maybe we're seeing a new breed of underdog?

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Kes » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:28 pm

Remember, they've only lost one game since they started in France.

And they didn't lose it because they were the poorer side, they lost it because they have a track record against England, and it probably meant TOO much to them.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Elessar » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:55 pm

Kes wrote:Remember, they've only lost one game since they started in France.

And they didn't lose it because they were the poorer side, they lost it because they have a track record against England, and it probably meant TOO much to them.

France, Germany and Portugal have lost none.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Kes » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:59 pm

And if you were Wales, out of the three of them, who would you sooner be facing in the next match?

My point was that they showed England a bit more respect than they deserved. Iceland went into their game against Engkand not giving a toss about reputations.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:18 pm

Unlucky Wales!

They defended SO well, unfortunately for them, Ronaldo has this ability to seemingly float for about 10 seconds!
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Previous

Return to The Game