World Cup - Russia 2018

Discuss any aspects of sports here.

Re: World Cup - Russia 2018

Postby Kes » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:42 pm

I actually thought we'd stand a chance against France, if we made the final.

Against Belgium, I think we're looking at fourth place.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Elessar » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:44 pm

Kes wrote:I actually thought we'd stand a chance against France, if we made the final.

Against Belgium, I think we're looking at fourth place.

Two dead rubbers between the same teams in the same tournament.

A first?

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:38 pm

In reality this was a young, inexperienced England team who managed to beat Tunisia, Panama and Sweden. They don’t have many trophy winners amongst them and technically they’re by no means one of the best teams in the tournament. But they’ve shown what’s possible with a mentality of family and togetherness, and the way this entire campaign has been conducted has been with a spirit of love rather than hate, setting an excellent example for those back home during a time when good examples are hard to find. On that note, congratulations to Dejan Lovren and Croatia, one of the smallest nations in this year’s tournament (third behind Iceland and Uruguay by my reckoning), for reaching their first final. A founding member of the EU vs the latest to join the EU in the final: confirmation that Europe remains at the centre of the world. I suspect France will win but look forward to a good game.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby action » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:15 am

a rematch of the first game Belgium - england 8-)

I have respect for england, so I shan't refer to their "unsportive" playing in our first meeting, where they were clearly trying to lose from us.

Now, both teams will give it their all to win. .... or will they? :?
I see you standing there. You think you so cool. Why don't you just..... fuck off!

action
Don't Stop Me Now

I know what's right and what's wrong

Postby Kes » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:36 am

It's just what the final "could" have been.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby JLP » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:52 am

Kes wrote:Should have had that all but done in the first half.

From the start of the second half, Croatia looked the better team, but the match really should have been beyond them by that point.

I sensed that Croatia would win early in the second half. We just ran out of steam. I don't feel as disappointed as I did in 1990 or 1996 although my son was pretty upset.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Kes » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:17 pm

But you could see that in the game against Colombia. We were all over them in the first half, but the second half and extra time, there was only one side that looked like winning. Lucky we made it to penalties.

On paper, and given the quality of the premiership, there's no way that teams that aren't Brazil, Germany, Spain, France and Italy, should be taking us anywhere near the wire. Let alone Iceland, and Croatia with entire populations of less than ONE of our major cities.

Don't get me wrong, Croatia played well last night, but the fact we haven't won a major trophy in the last fifty plus years, and more so, not even made it to a final, speaks volumes. If we weren't going to do it last night, can we ever expect to do it when teams like the ones mentioned above are on form?
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Elessar » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:21 pm

But only about 30% of Premiership players are English. Also, England is the only squad that had no players playing overseas. That has to be factor. I think the fact that England’s squad has no absolute superstars (possibly with the exception of Kane) does bring with a togetherness not previously present: Apparently at previous tournaments there were club cliques, with Chelsea/Utd/Liverpool players reluctant to have banter with one another. Nowadays half the squad are from Tottenham or Leicester, which probably helps them as a team but also reflects a lack of quality.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Kes » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:28 pm

If the English players weren't up to scratch, they wouldn't get a look in against the Foreign ones at their clubs, and add to that, I thought half the idea of scrapping foreign national quotas, was to inspire English kids to get inspired to attain a similar levels as the foreign players.

There's definitely talent there, but the pundits say we were lacking experience. Well, we've had experience in the side for most of the EUFA Cups and World Cups in my lifetime, and players who could turn a game on their own, like Hoddle, Gascoigne, Lineker and Beckham, but that hasn't seemed to have helped much.

Point in case, one of the England team who most impressed at this World Cup, Kieran Trippier, wasn't even a regular fixture in the Tottenham team last season. Sterling, absolutely devastating in a light blue shirt, just hasn't managed it in a white or red one yet.

This England side WILL get there, but I doubt it will be before the likes of Germany, Spain and Italy recover their mojo. Basically, England for the first 45 minutes, are as good as anyone at this World Cup, it's what happens in the next 45 minutes and beyond, that's a concern.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:52 pm

I think Kane's effort last night, the one where he hit the post, got the ball back, side tapped it, and nearly slotted it in at the near post, could have been for me, the goal of the tournament, had it come off.

The talent IS there. I'm sure.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby JLP » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:35 pm

Kes wrote:I think Kane's effort last night, the one where he hit the post, got the ball back, side tapped it, and nearly slotted it in at the near post, could have been for me, the goal of the tournament, had it come off.

The talent IS there. I'm sure.

He could and probably should have squared the ball to Sterling who would have had a gap in. Saying that though, he would probably missed.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Sole Survivor » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:54 pm

Football IS coming home, but the flight has been delayed for four years due to unforeseen circumstances.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Sole Survivor
Spread Your Wings

I do what I want, and I do it in my own time.

Postby Kes » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:57 pm

Strangely enough, the EUFA 2020 Nations Championship, is being held in a number of European cities rather than just one country, therefore during that, some games WILL be in the UK, so it will be home for a bit, if only a fleeting visit.

As regards the song Three Lions, it's original whole point was that the particular championship (EUFA 96) was being held in England, so the game was "coming home", not neccessarily the trophy.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Elessar » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:02 pm

Kes wrote:Strangely enough, the EUFA 2020 Nations Championship, is being held in a number of European cities rather than just one country, therefore during that, some games WILL be in the UK, so it will be home for a bit, if only a fleeting visit.

Wembley has both semis and the final. It also has some group stage and second round games, due to Belgium dropping out. It has also been decided that any host nation that qualifies (there’ll be no automatic qualification) will be put in their ‘home’ group. Cities are paired up based on geographical logic. Wembley is paired with Glasgow.

If England qualify and top their group, every single game will be at Wembley or Hampden Park, with the exception of the quarter final which I believe would be in Rome.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby action » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:05 pm

england is going to be destroyed
I see you standing there. You think you so cool. Why don't you just..... fuck off!

action
Don't Stop Me Now

I know what's right and what's wrong

PreviousNext

Return to The Game