World Cup - Russia 2018

Discuss any aspects of sports here.

Re: World Cup - Russia 2018

Postby Elessar » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:21 am

Kes wrote:
Kes wrote:Sweden will be a difficult game, but not as difficult as the one the Belgians have. Good luck to them!

Suppose at this point, we can always "dream" of a Belgium-England final, and see what the "first" teams will play like against each other.

Long way off, really, and whoever wins in the Sweden-England game, they might well have to face an unexpectedly in-form Russian team on home turf, with the stadium going the Russian form of bananas, in support. THAT wouldn't be an easy game, whoever has to play it.

Uruguay turned the Russians over, although admittedly it was a bit of a dead rubber. Croatia are disciplined and good at the back - I can’t see Russia beating them. England to lose to France in the final.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby JLP » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:35 am

Elessar wrote:
Kes wrote:
Kes wrote:Sweden will be a difficult game, but not as difficult as the one the Belgians have. Good luck to them!

Suppose at this point, we can always "dream" of a Belgium-England final, and see what the "first" teams will play like against each other.

Long way off, really, and whoever wins in the Sweden-England game, they might well have to face an unexpectedly in-form Russian team on home turf, with the stadium going the Russian form of bananas, in support. THAT wouldn't be an easy game, whoever has to play it.

Uruguay turned the Russians over, although admittedly it was a bit of a dead rubber. Croatia are disciplined and good at the back - I can’t see Russia beating them. England to lose to France in the final.

France look outstanding and would be the team I would back. I am in London the day of the final for the Paul Simon gig in Hyde Park. Not sure how that will work if football does come home at last.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Re: Word Cup - Russia 2018

Postby Kes » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:46 pm

Elessar wrote:
JLP wrote:
Elessar wrote:What a load of bollocks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44716774

I'll have a pint of whatever he is drinking. :D

It comes in lines, not pints.

I liked the comment about Maradona "having written the game". The Game was written by Queen, not the person who wrote "Like A Prayer" and "Vogue".

Any ways. It says in the official rule book that outfield players should not touch the ball with their hands, when the ball is in play", which didn't seem to bother him much when he did a volleyball style spike, over an England goalkeeper to progress his country on to actually winning the trophy. Had VAR existed then, not only would the goal have been disallowed, but he would have been sent off, and therefore unable to score their second goal. In addition to that, had Argentina gone to still beat England anyway, he would have had to miss the semi-final against Belgium too. Cheating sausage shaped whining twat!

Maybe as Elessar hinted, his alliance with Colombia might be fuelled by a substance that helps drive the country's economy, and I'm not talking about Shakira (good as though he might have been in the Swiss games!)
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:49 pm

JLP wrote:

France look outstanding and would be the team I would back. I am in London the day of the final for the Paul Simon gig in Hyde Park. Not sure how that will work if football does come home at last.

If the final is at three, you might be lucky, and someone might put the match up on the screens. Let's face it, if we made it to the final, there wouldn't be many people in England NOT watching it. Even the Jocks would be watching it, hoping they don't get another thirty years of "When was the last time YOU won the World Cup, then?" Hyde Park would probably be fucking empty till gone five.

Still, there's a couple of matches to win, before the possibility even becomes a chance of reality, and if it happens... You Can Call Me Al.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby JLP » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:11 pm

Kick off is 4pm but there are loads of artists on the bill. Cannot imagine James Taylor joining in with Three Lions.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby sebastian » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:02 pm

There were five South American teams in this World Cup. France have so far knocked three out. They could still get the only surviving one in a few days. That may be some sort of record...
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby JLP » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:33 pm

sebastian wrote:There were five South American teams in this World Cup. France have so far knocked three out. They could still get the only surviving one in a few days. That may be some sort of record...

Holland did it in 1974.

Brazil 2-0
Uruguay 2-0
Argentina 4-0
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby sebastian » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:20 pm

Yes, but France could get to beat four rather than three if Brazil manage to come back from their (at the time of writing) 0 - 1 against Belgium.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby sebastian » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:58 pm

I really wanted Belgium to win, but not for a second had I expected it to actually happen. Wow!

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby JLP » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:18 pm

Why wasn't Neymar booked for diving? Thing is, his antics cost Brazil a penalty.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby Elessar » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:44 pm

It’s coming home...

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Sole Survivor » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:57 pm

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

GO ENGLAND!
:onfire: :onfire: :onfire: :onfire: :onfire:
Amor Vincit Omnia

Sole Survivor
Spread Your Wings

I do what I want, and I do it in my own time.

Postby Broooklyn » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:55 pm

Great game with England! Nice to see that they are moving closer.

Yesterday's Brazil vs Belgium game was awesome as well. I was only hoping for a Brazil win because of my girl Alesandra Ambrosio, though! :lol:

Hoping Russia beats Croatia.
Image---Image

Broooklyn
Spread Your Wings

Hindsight 9/11 Superman/Hero

Postby Broooklyn » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:02 pm

This is why I am watching the itv coverage of this match, simply because during the half time show, no American broadcaster would dare use the word "Moribund" during the broadcast, ever; let alone know what it meant! Go Russia.
Image---Image

Broooklyn
Spread Your Wings

Postby Broooklyn » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:54 pm

The IĆ's defeat the EV/OV's...via the shootout!
Image---Image

Broooklyn
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to The Game