World Cup - Russia 2018

Discuss any aspects of sports here.

Re: World Cup - Russia 2018

Postby sebastian » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:43 am

Most likely final at this point: France vs England, both aiming at winning their second trophy.

Belgium vs Croatia would be interesting considering it'd be their first World Cup victory (for either squad).

Belgium vs England: Nice! A re-match, but this time with the main team, rather than substitutes.

France vs Croatia: Probably the least interesting of them all, historically speaking. But still quite intriguing.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:27 pm

I think it's fairly finely balanced. Love it to be England, but I've been there before enough not to "expect" it. In case anyone else thinks this "football's coming home" stuff from the Emgland fans is a bit much, they have to realise that Association Football (or soccer, as it's called in it's short form), was effectively invented by the British, and apart from an amazing stroke of luck in 1966, we've spent all the time since it's inception, being shown by everybody else exactly how to play it.

From what I've seen of the teams left playing, so far in the championship, I think Belgium "look" the best side, but as someone said to me the other day, quite philosophically, "the ball is round", meaning that ANY of the four left are in with a shout, depending on how the two games they have left, run for them. The only team that wins their next two games, can take the prize away with them.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby action » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:57 pm

yo belgium!!! :D
I see you standing there. You think you so cool. Why don't you just..... fuck off!

action
Don't Stop Me Now

I know what's right and what's wrong

Postby Elessar » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:55 pm

France are going to win the World Cup.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby action » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:06 pm

a well deserved win for france. they were the better team today. they have a bunch of scumbags in their team like asshole mbape, and belgium lacked that. lacks that every time

you can't win by being scared and held back.

oh, and I'm not watching another WC again, with corrupt referees like that
I see you standing there. You think you so cool. Why don't you just..... fuck off!

action
Don't Stop Me Now

I know what's right and what's wrong

Postby JLP » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:33 pm

action wrote:a well deserved win for france. they were the better team today. they have a bunch of scumbags in their team like asshole mbape, and belgium lacked that. lacks that every time

you can't win by being scared and held back.

oh, and I'm not watching another WC again, with corrupt referees like that

He got one decision wrong, the foul on Hazard. But you are right about fear and that is why maybe, just maybe, it will come home. Gareth Southgate has installed a belief in the England team. You saw that on Saturday when they looked so calm and relaxed in the tunnel before the game.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Elessar » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:02 pm

Mbappe an asshole? He seems like a model professional to me. Stays on his feet, doesn’t argue with the ref, plays like he’s been doing this for years.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:05 pm

France totally nullified Lukaku. They didn’t allow him any space at all.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby sebastian » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:24 am

Elessar wrote:Mbappe an asshole? He seems like a model professional to me. Stays on his feet, doesn’t argue with the ref, plays like he’s been doing this for years.

Most of the time, yes. But there was a Naymar-esque tantrum against Uruguay and a really awful little thing he did against Belgium during stoppage time.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:55 am

Don't know if I watched a different game, but to me, it was absolutely anybody's match, right up until France scored.

I think Griezman (sp) is pretty good at throwing his legs in the air, if he gets touched in any way at all, and that's a shame, when like most of the "names", he obviously has a great deal of talent at playing the ball.

I still wouldn't like to call which order these four teams will finish in, the only sure thing is France won't be third or fourth.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby JLP » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:30 am

Kes wrote:Don't know if I watched a different game, but to me, it was absolutely anybody's match, right up until France scored.

I think Griezman (sp) is pretty good at throwing his legs in the air, if he gets touched in any way at all, and that's a shame, when like most of the "names", he obviously has a great deal of talent at playing the ball.

I still wouldn't like to call which order these four teams will finish in, the only sure thing is France won't be third or fourth.

That is why I think we have a real chance. We don't have any superstars. Harry Kane is an example of a real team player. Best player in the team but he comes across as one of the 22, not the star player. For the first time since 1996, it appears to be more about the team than individual egos.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby sebastian » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:11 pm

An early goal is always a solid start.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby sebastian » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:38 pm

It's not coming home after all.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:40 pm

Should have had that all but done in the first half.

From the start of the second half, Croatia looked the better team, but the match really should have been beyond them by that point.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Elessar » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:41 pm

Brexit

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

PreviousNext

Return to The Game