WWE (or any other wrestling)

Discuss any aspects of sports here.

WWE (or any other wrestling)

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:28 pm

Hey, I just figured I'd start a pro wrestling topic here, I figure there's gotta be at least a few other people here who watch it, right? Right? :lol:

Anyway, I'm a big fan of wrestling, been watching since I was 10 or so, back in the days of Hulkamania and Andre the Giant and all that sort of stuff, and I've just really never stopped watching it. As I just hinted at, I grew up watching the then-WWF/now-WWE. Though, I suspect if I had been the age I am now back then, I probably would have preferred the competition, (Jim Crockett Promotions/WCW)....though I did watch them alot when the whole "New World Order" angle was the hottest thing going.

Now I do most of my wrestling-watching via the WWE Network, their streaming/on-demand online thing. Pretty good deal for $9.99 a month, when you compare it to $30 and up for a single pay-per-view, like it used to be. And it's pretty cool because you get a lot more content than the once-a-month-or-so events. I watch NXT (their 'developmental brand' or, in other words, their minor league basically) pretty regularly on it, for one thing. I had a 3-month gift card for that that I had got for X-mas, so that ran out a while ago, and I had to pay for it again.

So, I'm thinking, hmm....WrestleMania coming up (this Sunday), AJ Styles vs. Shinsuke Nakamura for the WWE Championship?

If WWE doesn't screw it up somehow (and never rule that possibility out...) that ought to be an epic match. Two guys capable of putting on a good match with just about anyone, and excellent matches with good opponents. I predict plenty of the "this is awesome" crowd chants, and maybe a "holy shit" or two :lol:

I'm definitely looking forward to that one more than the supposed "main event" (or at least I think it's supposed to be), Brock Lesnar vs Roman Reigns for the Universal Championship (the other world championship!)....that's just kinda....meh. And pretty much everyone who follows it knows what's gonna happen, anyway. (Brock loses the title and goes back to the UFC, or at least that's the rumor)

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Re: WWE (or any other wrestling)

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:10 pm

Hmm....OK, maybe no wrestling fans around here, I guess. :lol:

Well, anyway, I'll just offer my thoughts on Wrestlemania last night, for the hell of it.

Good show, but holy crap it was long. 7 hours worth if you count the "kickoff show". The Styles vs Nakamura match I was talking about? Good match but not really the "epic" I was hoping for. Nakamura turned "heel" at the end by giving Styles a low blow after the match was over, so I guess that feud shall continue.

Oh, and this:

And pretty much everyone who follows it knows what's gonna happen, anyway. (Brock loses the title and goes back to the UFC, or at least that's the rumor)

Shows you what I know: Brock won. Oops. So, yeah...we have who-knows-how-much-more-time with a champion who works part-time and whose 'repertoire' consists of three different moves. (if you count two different suplexes) Yay. I'm not a huge fan of Roman Reigns by any stretch but I was hoping he'd win.

I think my favorite match of the night was Kurt Angle and Ronda Rousey beating Triple H and Stephanie McMahon, surprisingly.

Oh, and the new Raw tag team champions: Braun Strowman and a 10-year-old kid from the audience. :lol:

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:49 pm

So, last Friday I watched the "Greatest Royal Rumble", live from Saudi Arabia, on the WWE Network. Kind of a weird event, it was a big deal in some ways (in that it's their first event over there, at least of that magnitude), and not really a big deal in others. (It was for the most part insignificant in terms of ongoing storylines)

There was a rematch of Nakamura vs Styles for the WWE Championship...a better match than their Wrestlemania one, expect for the fact that it ended in a draw by double-countout. But I guess that's just to build up for their match coming up at the next pay-per-view.

And, Lesnar vs Reigns again, Lesnar wins again, woo freakin' hoo. People online have been speculating that the finish was botched, I don't know...it was a steel cage match, and I always thought, and the announcers even said, one of the ways to with those is escaping the cage and having BOTH FEET touch the floor outside the ring. The finish was that Reigns speared Lesnar when he was standing with his back to the cage, breaking the cage and sending both men to the floor. The refs said Lesnar won because he hit the floor first, when he landed on his back, but Reigns actually had both his feet touch the floor first. I really wonder if that was they way they intended that to happen or not.

It's funny sometimes, you watch enough of this, and you know, it's (often) live after all, so you'll see some occasional screw-ups. Or "botches" as they're known. There was another pretty good one earlier in the day, where Jeff Hardy went for a move from the top rope on Jinder Mahal, completely missed, but Mahal still sold it like he got hit. Oh and also, this, worth posting a video of...maybe just for the reaction from the announcers.

phpBB [video]

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Postby BitterTears » Sun May 20, 2018 9:01 pm

I'm just trying to think of Queen connections

I remember in maybe early 2000 Big Show cut his hair short for the first time in his career and Triple H called him Freddie Mercury (I didn't see the resemblance)

And when The Rock rocked us

phpBB [video]

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Mon May 21, 2018 2:10 am

BitterTears wrote:I'm just trying to think of Queen connections

Well, going back a little bit, I know Junkyard Dog used AOBTD as his entrance music for a while. And Shinsuke Nakamura has said a few times that Freddie was a big inspiration on him.

This might be a stretch...but this guy's entrance music always reminded me of the middle part of Innuendo, and this was when WCW was using soundalike versions of popular songs:

phpBB [video]

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Return to The Game