Favorite moments in sports

Discuss any aspects of sports here.

Favorite moments in sports

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:14 pm

OK, I was thinking of this because of the discussion we got on for a little bit in the news thread about hockey and how big it is, and Innuendoes mentioned St Louis and I of course mentioned Detroit. So, this is the deciding 7th game of the Detroit Red Wings playoff series vs. the St. Louis Blues in 1996, going into the second overtime. I think this goes down as one of my favorite, most memorable games that I ever watched, even possibly over any particular game from the Red Wings' playoff runs from the next two years in which they won back-to-back Stanley Cups. (skip to about 1:50 or so if you just want to see the winning goal)

phpBB [video]

The Red Wings went to play the Colorado Avalanche in the next series, which they lost...but some of the things that happened in that series really kicked off quite a rivalry. I could probably make a whole other post about all of that...

Also, I figured out, out of the 12 players (counting goalies) on the ice at the time of the winning goal, 6 are now in the Hockey Hall of Fame, and one more probably should be.

Oh, and the funny thing I remember about watching this was that I was watching with my parents, and my grandmother who was staying with us for a few days for some reason, went to bed before the game was over, but kept coming downstairs to check on it. I told her a few times "no, grandma, it's still going on!" :lol:

And go ahead and chip in any of your favorite moments if ya got em. Or maybe I'll just eventually post a few more of mine.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Re: Favorite moments in sports

Postby Innuendoes » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:55 pm

I see your Red Wings vs Blues video and what you said. I had to upload this, myself, because there's not another as good as this one. This is not video footage of a game but audio from the announcers when the Cardinals (St Louis Baseball) team was playing in the playoffs to go to the World Series.

This is the absolute best fight song I have ever heard and of course, it's Glenn Frey but it's the announcers who do the most fantastic job of calling the game. This still gives me chills all these years later. And I saw Ozzie in person, many times, hit those home runs(Tommy Herr, too - LOL) and the rest of the great Card's batters but this was one special game. Song was our fight song for the entire season. The KHTR announcer with the really deep voice gives me chills for sure. WOAH! :-D

Now watch youtube pull this. LOL

phpBB [video]

Innuendoes

Postby Innuendoes » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:57 pm

Dammit, they got me already.. Blocked world-wide. :mad:

Innuendoes

Postby Innuendoes » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:03 am

Crap version of the same song that manages to stay up. :roll:

phpBB [video]

ETA: This goes with the radio fight song.

phpBB [video]

Innuendoes

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:31 pm

Hmm, well, if I wanted to keep on talking about Detroit vs. St. Louis, I could bring up the '68 World Series. :P But, that's totally before my time, anyway.

I liked the Jack Buck montage, though....that Kirk Gibson (former Detroit Tiger and former Michigan State football player, current Tiger broadcaster!) home run is a classic. Just the whole story behind it. Great call, too. "I don't believe what I just saw!" Right up there with "do you believe in miracles? Yes!"

I should find the clips of Kirk Gibson on the Tigers during the '84 World Series, where the Padres manager told the pitcher to walk him, but then the pitcher talked the manager out of it. Then you can see Sparky Anderson yelling to Gibson, "he don't wanna walk you!" And, of course, he hits a home run.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Postby Innuendoes » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:31 pm

I didn't think I was posting a St Louis vs Detroit clip since that World Series was between two Missouri teams, Royals and Cardinals and known by us from STL as the I-70 series. Fans were rushing back and forth across the state to catch the games in both cities, therefore the I-70 Series, nickname. Cards beat the Royals, of course. And we had Ozzie, the greatest baseball hero of my time. At least, my personal favorite.

I'd like to hear that Padres clip or clips as you may know, Ozzie started out with the Padres. Even if he's not in those particular games. :P

Innuendoes

Postby Innuendoes » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:33 pm

Very strange. The video I uploaded is playing on here for me. Will it play for you as well, TKOR?

Innuendoes

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:27 pm

Innuendoes wrote:I didn't think I was posting a St Louis vs Detroit clip since that World Series was between two Missouri teams, Royals and Cardinals and known by us from STL as the I-70 series. Fans were rushing back and forth across the state to catch the games in both cities, therefore the I-70 Series, nickname. Cards beat the Royals, of course. And we had Ozzie, the greatest baseball hero of my time. At least, my personal favorite.

I'd like to hear that Padres clip or clips as you may know, Ozzie started out with the Padres. Even if he's not in those particular games. :P

I wasn't saying you were posting St. Louis vs Detroit stuff, I was. :D But anyway...

I didn't know Ozzie Smith played for the Padres....looked it up, I guess he got traded to the Cardinals a few years before the 84 World Series. Also, I really didn't know this, but he was originally drafted by the Tigers but went back to college after they couldn't negotiate a signing bonus. That's all right though, the Tigers had a pretty good shortstop themselves in the 80s. ;)

And I did find that clip....I think it's from some sort of video narrated by Tommy Lasorda, but I really like this one because Sparky's reactions are just priceless...

phpBB [video]

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Postby icy » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:05 pm

Oh my gosh, I wish I could post about a soccer team on the East Coast of Canada. It's amazing what they achieved through the years coming from such a small community. It's called the Soccer Captial of Canada.

On another note, when the Toronto Blue Jay's won the world series two years in a row, 1992, and 1993. That was an exciting time.

More recently, Katelyn Osmond doing so well in figure skating. I've been watching her progress for a while now and what an amazing ride it's been. Apologies if figure skating isn't consideried a sport.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:19 am

icy wrote:Oh my gosh, I wish I could post about a soccer team on the East Coast of Canada. It's amazing what they achieved through the years coming from such a small community. It's called the Soccer Captial of Canada.

Hey, I ain't gonna stop you. :cool:

On another note, when the Toronto Blue Jay's won the world series two years in a row, 1992, and 1993. That was an exciting time.

Wasn't the first time the famous Joe Carter game 7 home run? I've seen a clip of that a few times, where the announcer says something like "you'll never hit a bigger home run"

Ah...nope, it was '93 and it was Game 6. Only the second walkoff homer to win a World Series in history.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Postby CoolCat II » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:08 pm

Watching Man United beat Bayern Munich in the 1999 Champions League Final, and completing a historic treble of CL, Premier League & FA Cup :)

You're a Cool Cat
Coming on Strong With all the Chit-Chat

CoolCat II
Spread Your Wings

Cool Cats Twin

Postby Elessar » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:36 pm

CoolCat II wrote:Watching Man United beat Bayern Munich in the 1999 Champions League Final, and completing a historic treble of CL, Premier League & FA Cup :)

You can still go and see it if you like :)

https://bookings.liverpoolfc.com/stadiu ... ricing.htm

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Sole Survivor » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:27 pm

phpBB [video]

For me, it's this goal that Paul Gascoigne (Gazza) scored against Scotland in the Euro 96 championship. Watching this unfold, and the way he deftly flicks the ball over the defenders' head before volleying it into the back of the net, was what made me fall in love with the beautiful game.
Love now 'till Eternity...

Sole Survivor
Spread Your Wings

Rock and roll dream Not what it seems Who is the dreamer now?

Postby Broooklyn » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:04 pm

For me, it will always probably be the 1986 Mets comeback with 2 outs and in game 6 of the World Series. Never fails to give me chills.

phpBB [video]
Image---Image

Broooklyn
Spread Your Wings

Hindsight 9/11 Superman/Hero

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:37 pm

I'll give a few others that come to my mind. Sorry I can't really post clips of what I'm talking about at the moment... well, I could, but it would be more of a bother to do so on this phone than I feel like going through at the moment. Anyway, I'm sure that if you want, you can find clips of what I'm talking about pretty easily on YouTube.

The first one I'm thinking of is when the Detroit Pistons were playing in the 2004 National Basketball Association playoffs, the Eastern Conference finals, if I remember right. Late in a close game, Reggie Miller of the Indiana Pacers was going down the floor with the ball for what looked for sure like an uncontested layup. Easy two points, that's the last thing Detroit needs against them in a close, tight, low-scoring game. (was the thought running through my mind) I could see the Pistons player Tayshaun Prince was running behind the play, but I'm thinking, no, he's got no chance of catching up. Of course, since I said that, you know what happens next, right? Prince came out of absolutely freaking nowhere, and blocked the layup from behind. The play just looked spectacular. One of those plays where you're watching it and then think "wait a minute, holy crap, did that just actually happen?"

I was just googling Tayshaun Prince, because I wasn't sure if I was spelling his first name right, and of the first things that comes up in the suggestions is "Tayshaun Prince block." As in, that play is known as "The Tayshaun Prince block" among Detroit fans. Also, it helped too, that he was 6'9 tall, but with even longer arms than a man of that height should have...

At any rate, the Pistons went on to win the game and the series (I think that was the deciding game or was it?) and then beat the Los Angeles Lakers to claim their third NBA championship.

Wait, didn't I say I had more than one? Uh, I'll give another one later.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Next

Return to The Game