17 at 17

A forum to discuss other music, artists, television and film.

Re: 17 at 17

Postby The Milkman » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:51 pm

Kes wrote:BTW. The U2/Johnny Cash song is the best track on Zooropa, by a country mile. :lookround: Compared to the album before it, 'Zooropa' wasn't a good album, by anyone's standards. They were a little bit up their own arse, by then, I think. Zoo-TV? Playing half the gig hidden behind their stage, and via TV monitors. What the fuck were they on?

I love Zooropa. The lyrics are lame on a few of the songs but I love the sound of it and thought it was pretty creative for U2. Stay would get my vote for best song on the album and it's in my top 10 favorite U2 songs. Other standout tracks would include Babyface, Zooropa, and The First Time.
Last edited by The Milkman on Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Being offended is a small price to pay for the right to free speech.

The Milkman
Somebody To Love

Postby The Milkman » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:55 pm

soxtalon wrote:Ahh Lenny. Had no idea who he was when I first saw him opening for Tom Petty and he put on one hell of a short show. At the time it took a lot for me to actually look at the opening act, but Lenny had something. This track exemplified the summer at 17 for me. Some great work on this album overall.

He's amazing live. I first saw him open for the Cult and he blew them off the stage. The second time I saw him he was on his own tour for this album.

The Milkman
Somebody To Love

Postby soxtalon » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:21 pm

Kes wrote:
soxtalon wrote:Ok then! I'm glad people are at least reading - Just checking to see if I was writing to myself!

Soon enough I'll have to nominate one of you to go next...PM me if you'd like the shot!

I wouldn't worry too much. I went all the way through my 17 with little more than about three bits of feedback (probably one of the main reasons I decided to rush through it, in the end), and I "knew" with a fair degree of certainty that I'd picked 17 of the finest pieces of music from the year (if not, "EVER!").

I'd be surprised if many more than about a half a dozen people even knew the thread was here. :oops:

BTW. The U2/Johnny Cash song is the best track on Zooropa, by a country mile. :lookround: Compared to the album before it, 'Zooropa' wasn't a good album, by anyone's standards. They were a little bit up their own arse, by then, I think. Zoo-TV? Playing half the gig hidden behind their stage, and via TV monitors. What the fuck were they on?

Yeah that's true about people even knowing about the thread, lol - I wasn't really worried - it was mostly in jest - but of course feedback is always nice!

As for Zoorpa.....Agreed! And I really wanted to love the album. With that being said and as a response to Milkman - it *DID* grow on me over time. at the time I would have given it 2/10. It's grown to about a 5/10. But still nowhere near Achtung Baby...

The Milkman wrote:He's amazing live. I first saw him open for the Cult and he blew them off the stage. The second time I saw him he was on his own tour for this album.

Absolutely - He had a great swagger and sound.

OK! On to:

13/17

Smashing Pumpkins - Silverfuck
phpBB [video]

Annoying voice? Yes. But the energy from this album is amazing. There are quite a few good tracks on this record but this one reminds me of a friend of mine...I do think Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness is my favorite SP record, but this is not a distant second.

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby The Milkman » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:43 pm

soxtalon wrote:OK! On to:

13/17

Smashing Pumpkins - Silverfuck
phpBB [video]

Annoying voice? Yes. But the energy from this album is amazing. There are quite a few good tracks on this record but this one reminds me of a friend of mine...I do think Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness is my favorite SP record, but this is not a distant second.

This is my favorite SP album and this track is by far my favorite. BRILLIANT!

The Milkman
Somebody To Love

Postby Kes » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:53 pm

I guess I STILL haven't really forgiven U2 in their Zooropa phase, for their idea of "being at" the Freddie Mercury Tribute, not only were they via satellite, but not even "live" then, it was something they'd VT'd, and THEN beamed via satellite, and they still got the band's name on the event's T-shirt.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby JLP » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:05 pm

Kes wrote:
JLP wrote:We are getting a fair range of music. OK the 1976 and 1977 sections are pretty similar but that is to be expected. The other two years have been good though. Several of the tunes are familiar to me.

Similar? Pah. At least I got, not only a Thin Lizzy track in there, but arguably their 'best' track EVER in there!

10cc, ELO, Sex Pistols, Led Zeppelin, Queen, John Miles AND Peter Frampton? That list was SO cooking, it could have easily won Masterchef AND The Great British Bake Off...

...at the same fucking time... EASILY, I say.

I wanted a Thin Lizzy track too. :(
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby soxtalon » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:59 am

14/17

It may be cliched but sometimes cliches are such for a reason...

Radiohead - Creep

phpBB [video]

This song was just the disaffected youth anthem of the time. Creepy, powerful.

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Tarkus » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:38 am

I know we always used to tease White Queen here for being so into Radiohead, but I don't mind 'em at all, really- it could be argued that their sound paved the way for more recent bands like Muse, which is no bad thing...
Forks Over Knives!

"Raging in thought- Mouthless, the millions obey- So call off your dogs You preachers of what we can say."- Silent Nation, Asia.

Tarkus
The Show Must Go On

Citizen of the Silent Nation

Postby The Milkman » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:45 pm

Radiohead are my favorite active band and probably the best act I've ever seen live.

The Milkman
Somebody To Love

Postby soxtalon » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:59 pm

15/17

Us3 - Cantaloop (Flip Fantasia)

phpBB [video]

Guilty pleasure time. This is so atypical of the music I usually listen too if I'm honest but this number for whatever reason got into my head with it's loops and stayed there for hours at a time - and yes it's all due to Herbie Hancock and little to do with the group that's sampling it but it did make me want to delve into the old Blue Note stuff a bit....I also figure it's a nice complete u-turn from most of my list....

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby soxtalon » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:11 am

16/17

Nirvana - All Apologies

phpBB [video]

My friends were much bigger Nirvana fans than I was. I tended to go for musical skill, production, lush soundscapes but occasionally the raw feeling of Cobain did seep through and never more than this track. This one still resonates with me.

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby soxtalon » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:48 am

17/17! The end of the road....

Meat Loaf - Objects In The Rear View Mirror May Appear Closer Than They Are

phpBB [video]

Over the top? Absolutely. Cheesy? Yeah...Powerful though. The only negative is the sheer amount of times the long title is repeated...but this is a nice theatrical rock song...and I sometimes think Meat Loaf is dismissed too easily. He's an entertaining rock and roll guy and when he works with Steinman - it's gold.

NOW on to our next presenter! TARKUS

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Tarkus » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:05 am

Thanks Soxtalon! My 17th year was 1981, which saw some interesting times musically. Not much on the prog scene, but it was a year of band members embarking on solo careers, and also musical collaborations, which you'll see a couple of. Some bands also went their separate ways, creating new bands from what was left of the old- you'll see those here too. I'm going to start off with four videos, as I won't be online tomorrow, and may be off until Thursday, so this will be by way of giving you all something to be getting on with, and setting the scene for the year.

First up is this all-time classic from Ultravox, which pretty much helped shape pop music for the next few years. Inspired by the likes of Kraftwerk and the Krautrock scene, Vienna was absolutely unlike anything else we'd heard in the charts before. This song helped set the bar for pop music for the eighties, and one other song, originally released a year before, helped shape the fashion trends. More on that in a moment, but first...

phpBB [video]

1980 was the year we lost John Lennon to the obsessed psychofan Mark Chapman, and the world was still reeling from the shock. His album Double Fantasy topped the charts for the rest of the year and the beginning of 81, and this single, Starting Over, was one of the first hits of the year. There will be more of Lennon later on, although not performed by the man himself...

phpBB [video]

Now to the first solo effort from an artist who up until now was mainly known for his work with Genesis- their drummer and vocalist, Phil Collins. This is from his debt album Face Value, and I'm sure everyone will join in when the drums kick in on the 3:10 mark! Genesis did release an album this year, and a track from that will also feature later on. Now... ba-boom baboom ba-boom badiddle-diddle-dum...

phpBB [video]

And now to the video that helped shape fashion trends for the decade. First released in 1980 and taken from his album Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps), this was re-released in 1981 to coincide with his second greatest hits compilation, ChangesTwo, which is how I managed to wangle it in here. This is the timeless, peerless, ubersapien David Bowie, with the timeless, peerless uberclassic Ashes To Ashes. Bowie will also feature again later, but as part of a collaboration. (I wonder what that will be, hmm? ;-) )

phpBB [video]

Enjoy, and I'll post some more later on...
Forks Over Knives!

"Raging in thought- Mouthless, the millions obey- So call off your dogs You preachers of what we can say."- Silent Nation, Asia.

Tarkus
The Show Must Go On

Citizen of the Silent Nation

Postby The Milkman » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:30 am

This list is starting off strong. Ultravox!?!? Didn't see that coming. :thumbsup:

The Milkman
Somebody To Love

Postby soxtalon » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:36 am

Agreed! Nice start :)

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

PreviousNext

Return to Another World