The Hobbit Film Trilogy

A forum to discuss other music, artists, television and film.

The Hobbit Film Trilogy

Postby Elessar » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:12 pm

Here's what we know so far:

Release date:
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 14 December 2012
The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug - 13 December 2013
The Hobbit: There And Back Again - 18 July 2014

Director:
Peter Jackson

Cast

Hobbits
Martin Freeman - Bilbo Baggins (younger)
Ian Holm* - Bilbo Baggins (older)
Elijah Wood* - Frodo Baggins

Dwarves - The Company
Richard Armitage - Thorin Oakenshield
Graham McTavish - Dwalin
Ken Stott - Balin
Aidan Turner - Kili
Dean O'Gorman - Fili
Mark Hadlow - Dori
Jed Brophy - Nori
Adam Brown - Ori
John Callen - Oin
Peter Hambleton - Gloin
William Kircher - Bifur
James Nesbitt - Bofur
Stephen Hunter - Bombur

Dwarves - Other
Michael Mizrahi - Thrain
Jeffrey Thomas - Thror
Billy Connolly - Dain II Ironfoot

Wizards
Christopher Lee* - Saruman the White
Ian McKellen* - Gandalf the Grey
Sylvester McCoy - Radagast the Brown

Elves
Cate Blanchett* - Galadriel
Huge Weaving* - Elrond
Lee Pace - Thranduil (the Elvenking)
Orlando Bloom* - Legolas
Bret McKenzie* - Lindir
Evangeline Lilly - Tauriel
Craig Hall - Galion

Men
Luke Evans - Bard the Bowman
Stephen Fry - The Master of Laketown
Ryan Gage - Alfrid
John Bell - Bain

Other
Andy Serkis* - Gollum
Mikael Persbrandt - Beorn
Conan Stevens - Bolg
Barry Humphries - Great Goblin
Benedict Cumberbatch - Smaug/Necromancer

* = Featured in The Lord Of The Rings film trilogy.
Last edited by Elessar on Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 11 times in total.
"BLM are as equally responsible as the KKK are"

- Dustbiter, 2017

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Re: The Hobbit: 2012/2013 Films

Postby Dusty » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:06 am

Looks good, Elle. Just one correction there- Beorn wasn't a Dwarf, he was a shapeshifter that could change from a man into a bear. Tolkien gave Beorn's name to this race of people- they were known as Beornings- but Beorn is the only one that was mentioned in any of the books directly.

So, we've got two Doctors (Tennant and McCoy) in the film, as well as a vampire from Being Human (Scripted by Toby 'vampires of venice' Whithouse, and Doctor Watson and Doctor Jekyll, from the stories scripted by Steven Moffat. The number of Who connections is interesting.

We might get Gimli in the film as well, as Gloin was Gimli's father, by the way- as well as a possible scene from Moria, when Balin took his expeditionary force to re-inhabit Khazad-Dhum.

Dusty

Postby Belle Leisha » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:30 pm

I had more or less given up on this being any good if it actually managed to happen, but I'm more hopeful now. Not sure about the reuniting of the LOTR cast though, quite a lot of those rumoured to be returning aren't in the book, it would be a shame for anything in the film to be dictated by the cast, that's a bit too Burton-esque. On the other hand if the film just needs the characters and it happens that they can get the old cast back, that would be awesome.

I don't think the ages of the cast should really be a problem, for the film I mean not Christopher Lee thinking he's too old. At the time of the fellowship Frodo was supposed to be 50, where Elijah Wood was about 20. Merry and Pippin were supposed to be much younger and yet were the same age/older. It never makes it clear whether Aragorn could have just aged to a point and then stopped doing, clean shaven and heavily made up...shot from a distance...it could work. :P Bringing back the old Lotr cast without Viggo Mortensen would just be wrong!

Still waiting on news of Howard Shore. :?

Also, David Tennant playing Orlando Bloom's dad, is an interesting idea. :lol:
But Eden is burning, either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage, of the changing of the guard

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

I'm a Restless Kinda Girl, There's No Turning Back Now!

Postby Elessar » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:31 pm

Greywoolfe wrote:Looks good, Elle. Just one correction there- Beorn wasn't a Dwarf, he was a shapeshifter that could change from a man into a bear. Tolkien gave Beorn's name to this race of people- they were known as Beornings- but Beorn is the only one that was mentioned in any of the books directly.

Yup, good point. I had to shuffle all the characters around from the IMDB and wikipedia pages and must have missed him out, in amongst all the B-dwarves. Don't worry, it was a typing error rather than a LOTR knowledge error :P

- Dustbiter, 2017

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:32 pm

Greywoolfe wrote:We might get Gimli in the film as well, as Gloin was Gimli's father, by the way- as well as a possible scene from Moria, when Balin took his expeditionary force to re-inhabit Khazad-Dhum.

Was Gloin actually in Fellowship Of The Ring, at the Council of Elrond? If so, it looks like he's been recast!

- Dustbiter, 2017

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:37 pm

Belle Leisha wrote:I had more or less given up on this being any good if it actually managed to happen, but I'm more hopeful now. Not sure about the reuniting of the LOTR cast though, quite a lot of those rumoured to be returning aren't in the book, it would be a shame for anything in the film to be dictated by the cast, that's a bit too Burton-esque. On the other hand if the film just needs the characters and it happens that they can get the old cast back, that would be awesome.

I don't think the ages of the cast should really be a problem, for the film I mean not Christopher Lee thinking he's too old. At the time of the fellowship Frodo was supposed to be 50, where Elijah Wood was about 20. Merry and Pippin were supposed to be much younger and yet were the same age/older. It never makes it clear whether Aragorn could have just aged to a point and then stopped doing, clean shaven and heavily made up...shot from a distance...it could work. :P Bringing back the old Lotr cast without Viggo Mortensen would just be wrong!

Still waiting on news of Howard Shore. :?

Also, David Tennant playing Orlando Bloom's dad, is an interesting idea. :lol:

As far as I'm aware, Howard Shore has been a dead cert from the very beginning.

Some of the returning cast actually have to return, even though they weren't in The Hobbit. Tolkien wrote The Hobbit before he thought of much of Lord Of The Rings, which is why the Bilbo/Gollum story is quite different in The Hobbit to the version told in Lord Of The Rings. Legolas should surely be in The Hobbit, because Thranduil fought alongside other Mirkwood elves, and it would be difficult to explain why his son wasn't one of them. Equally, Gandalf disappears off to the White Council, and although Galadriel isn't named in The Hobbit, she was definitely a member of that council.

- Dustbiter, 2017

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Dusty » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:55 pm

Elessar wrote:
Greywoolfe wrote:We might get Gimli in the film as well, as Gloin was Gimli's father, by the way- as well as a possible scene from Moria, when Balin took his expeditionary force to re-inhabit Khazad-Dhum.

Was Gloin actually in Fellowship Of The Ring, at the Council of Elrond? If so, it looks like he's been recast!

In the book, he met up with Bilbo who was also at the council, but in the film Bilbo didn't attend the council, and Gimli was there with a few unnamed Dwarves. I think that gives Jackson some leeway in casting Gloin. There were a few alterations in the film script from the book- in the film, Arwen helped Frodo across the fords to Rivendell, when in the book it was Glorfindel, IIRC. The Ralph Bakshi cartoon version had Legolas do this. The various tweaks and changes Jackson made to the story helped to make it work cinematically, so I'm glad he's back at the helm for this one. I'd rather he do it that hand it to someone else, no matter how trusted they are.

Dusty

Postby Elessar » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:15 pm

Greywoolfe wrote:In the book, he met up with Bilbo who was also at the council, but in the film Bilbo didn't attend the council, and Gimli was there with a few unnamed Dwarves. I think that gives Jackson some leeway in casting Gloin. There were a few alterations in the film script from the book- in the film, Arwen helped Frodo across the fords to Rivendell, when in the book it was Glorfindel, IIRC. The Ralph Bakshi cartoon version had Legolas do this. The various tweaks and changes Jackson made to the story helped to make it work cinematically, so I'm glad he's back at the helm for this one. I'd rather he do it that hand it to someone else, no matter how trusted they are.

Aye, it was Glorfindel in the book. Jackson had toyed with the idea of making Arwen a member of the Fellowship, to add more of a female presence, but instead beefed up the Aragorn/Arwen/Eowyn love triangle, which I think was a good decision.

There were some pretty big changes, really. In the book, Faramir certainly doesn't drag Frodo and Sam all the way to Osgiliath - that's a massive deviation from their path! And then of course there's Tom Bombadil, and The Scouring Of The Shire. It's a shame that Saruman got absolutely no departure whatsoever in the cinematic version, and even in the extended edition it was nowhere near as good an exit as in the book. The whole point is that even without his Wizard power, Saruman was still very powerful, and that the Hobbits had become warriors and were able to defeat him after he had enslaved The Shire.

And there's no obvious reason to believe that the Elves fought at Helm's Deep, or that Haldir died in said battle.

Oh, and Aragorn isn't a reluctant King in the book, and takes Anduril way back in the Fellowship Of The Ring after Frodo is stabbed. There's no way Elrond would have travelled all the way to wherever the hell they were camping that night before Aragorn buggers off into the mountain.

- Dustbiter, 2017

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Dusty » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:25 pm

I understand why he did that with Faramir. in the book, Faramir already knew how dangerous the ring was, and up until that point, we'd only had people tell us how dangerous it was, and Boromir go mad to try and steal the ring. We needed to see and be reminded of teh effects the ring has on humans, by showing Faramir be tempted, then come to realisation before helping Frodo and Sam on their way. It made narrative sense within the film. i would have liked to see Faramir marrying Eowyn just as in the book, however. Tom Bombadil would have meant another hour or so of film, and they had enough to cram in as it was! :lol: Having the Lorien Elves fighting at Helm's Deep was done because they were mentioned as defending Lorien during the siege of Gondor in the book, so needed a mention to remind us that all the races of Middle Earth were under threat. Elrond's sons, Elladan and Elrohir, also went to Minas Tirith to help the defences, but we only got a brief glimpse of them with Elrond when he gave Anduril to Aragorn during the muster of Rohan and before traveling the paths of the dead. In the book, he was given Anduril when the fellowship first set out from Rivendell.

Dusty

Postby Elessar » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:40 pm

It's a shame that Jackson only has the rights to The Hobbit and The Lord Of The Rings (including Appendices). Adding in material from The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales could have lead to some sort of explanation of the Beren/Luthien story, and how their sons, Elrond and Elros, chose immortality and mortality respectively. But then they'd have to strongly imply that Arwen is Aragorn's great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-aunt, which may not be compatible with a children's rating :P

Perhaps some of the great stories are best kept in book-form. Stories than span thousands of years rarely translate well to the big screen.

- Dustbiter, 2017

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Dusty » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:02 pm

I'd love to see the Silmarillion done, maybe as a series if not a few films, but as you say, best left to our imaginations. Utterly fantastic work, all of it.

Dusty

Postby Paulina » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:48 pm

The Silmarillion would be epic but I doubt that it will ever be made into a movie. I think it would be very, very difficult, even for Peter Jackson.

Paulina
Spread Your Wings

Postby Sir Didymus » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:11 pm

Has dear ol' Sir Christopher confirmed his appearance now then?

I remember first hearing about the LOTR movies because he was involved, and thinking it'd be some low budget movie I could catch on video if it ever came my way. Totally didn't expect him to be in anything so huge once more... then he goes and bags not one but TWO of the biggest film franchises ever. :lol:
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby Dusty » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:25 pm

:mrgreen:

Dusty

Postby Paulina » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:02 am

Greywoolfe wrote:

:mrgreen:

The true story of an unknown hero? :biggrin: