The Hobbit Film Trilogy

A forum to discuss other music, artists, television and film.

Re: The Hobbit Film Trilogy

Postby Innuendoes » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:08 am

As much as I adore, Thranduil, I think he was wrong to deny the relationship or give some type of consent to the relationship between Legolas and Tauriel. To me, it was obvious she was worthy of Legolas and it was also obvious Legolas would have gone against Thranduil's wishes and done what he wanted. Thranduil drove her away with what he said to her and how he made her feel and I'd like to kick him in the butt for that. :oops: :P
Cause you are beautiful
Your scars are beautiful, like the Jade
You'll still shine when you sink into the sea
Where the bleeding scarlet jealousy
Carves away your belief

Innuendoes
I Want To Break Free

The Master Of Space And Time

Postby Elessar » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:52 am

It was all a plot device though. Tauriel leaving and Legolas going after them puts them in Lake-town when Smaug attacks. Legolas is about 2000 years old; 60 years is nothing, and elves tend to wander around Middle-earth quite a bit anyway so him leaving isn't all that unreasonable. During the War of the Ring while Legolas is with Aragorn, Thranduil was busy fighting the war in the North, in which Erebor was an essential stronghold. Some of Jackson's additions alter some characters a little bit but overall the greater plot stay very much intact. Arguably, his embellishments cast some much needed light on some aspects.
"BLM are as equally responsible as the KKK are"

- Dustbiter, 2017

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Tarkus » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:30 pm

i thought it best to post this here, rather than in the usual thread...

SIR CHRISTOPHER LEE DIES AGED 93.

:( :( :( :bye1: :bye1: :bye1:

The man was a legend- a f*cking LEGEND. Over the years, he's been in Star Wars, Lord Of The Rings, The Hobbit, he's the only one out of those that actually MET Tolkien, he's been a Bond villain, Dracula, Lord Summerisle, Sherlock AND Mycroft Holmes, released TWO heavy metal concept albums well into his eighties, headed his own spy unit in WW2 called the League Of Ungentlemanly Warfare, and was fluent in at least half a dozen languages, and conversational in half a dozen more. I was heartsick when I read the news, although sadly not surprised.

RIP sir, and thanks for all the wonderful, wonderful things you've done. may the mists part, and may you see white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise...

Tarkus

Postby Elessar » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:57 pm

I was briefly annoyed with for not posting in this thread, but then saw you'd posted here too so I'm happy :P

Except I'm not happy, I'm very sad. I've known for 10+ years that this day would come and it was the one celebrity death I was genuinely dreading. He was 93 and lived a wonderfully rich life but it's sad for everyone else that he leaves behind.

I heard that Ron Moody died this morning, and the brief 3 seconds of sadness were quickly replaced with, "Phew, at least Christopher Lee is still alive!".

A descendant of Charlemagne, a Nazi hunter, an acquaintance of Tolkien, actor of Dracula, Scaramanger, Sherlock Holmes, Count Dooku and of course Saruman. And a rock star.

I first saw him as Sam Rees/Rameses in the 1990s remake of The Tomorrow People. As a 7 year old, where others had Take That posters, I had Christopher Lee on my wall. And it turns out so did my mum, some 30 years earlier.

A sad day.

Hiro îth ab 'wanath

- Dustbiter, 2017

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Leigh Burne » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:13 pm

Elessar wrote:A descendant of Charlemagne, a Nazi hunter, an acquaintance of Tolkien, actor of Dracula, Scaramanger, Sherlock Holmes, Count Dooku and of course Saruman. And a rock star.

And Ian Fleming's step-cousin!
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Elessar » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:46 pm

They'll have looked after him well at Chelsea and Westminster I'm sure. It sounds like it was probably a fairly short illness. He's been frail for a while though, sadly not making it to the third Hobbit premiere. I understand he had a private viewing with Peter Jackson though.

- Dustbiter, 2017

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Tarkus » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:11 pm

Apparently, when filming Saruman's death scene in ROTK, Peter Jackson asked him to imagine the sound that someone would make when they were stabbed in the back, and Lee mentioned to him that he KNEW what it sounded like, and explained about his special ops role in WW2. F*cking legend.

I discovered this, and this has made me go all weepy- this is magnificent, and I think, a great send-off.

phpBB [video]

El, I'm going to borrow that Elvish phrase for my status.

Tarkus

Postby Elessar » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:40 pm

I can't guarantee its accuracy - I copied it from a comment someone made on my Facebook status. It's slightly different to the line Legolas uses in The Two Towers, but I assume that's because it's singular rather than plural (for Merry and Pippin).

- Dustbiter, 2017

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Tarkus » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:46 pm

I double checked it, and it seems legit. "May you find peace after death."

Link to an image that's too big for here:

http://i.imgur.com/KotB9Ha.jpg

Tarkus

Postby Elessar » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:58 pm

This is the last we heard from him, around 18 months ago:

phpBB [video]

- Dustbiter, 2017

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:07 pm

phpBB [video]

- Dustbiter, 2017

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:37 am

From Peter Jackson:

It is with tremendous sadness that I learnt of the passing of Sir Christopher Lee. He was 93 years old, had not been in his usual good health for some time, but his spirit remained, as always, indomitable.

Christopher spoke seven languages; he was in every sense, a man of the world; well versed in art, politics, literature, history and science. He was scholar, a singer, an extraordinary raconteur and of course, a marvelous actor. One of my favourite things to do whenever I came to London would be to visit with Christopher and Gitte where he would regale me for hours with stories about his extraordinary life. I loved to listen to them and he loved to tell them - they were made all the more compelling because they were true - stories from his time with the SAS, through the Second World War, to the Hammer Horror years and later, his work with Tim Burton - of which he was enormously proud.

I was lucky enough to work with Chris on five films all told and it never ceased to be a thrill to see him on set. I remember him saying on my 40th Birthday (he was 80 at the time), “You’re half the man I am”. Being half the man Christopher Lee is, is more than I could ever hope for. He was a true gentleman, in an era that no longer values gentleman.

I grew up loving Christopher Lee movies. For most of my life I was enthralled by the great iconic roles he not only created - but continued to own decades later. But somewhere along the way Christopher Lee suddenly, and magically, dissolved away and he became my friend, Chris. And I loved Chris even more.

There will never be another Christopher Lee. He has a unique place in the history of cinema and in the hearts of millions of fans around the world.

The world will be a lesser place without him in it.

My deepest sympathies to Gitte and to his family and friends.

Rest in peace, Chris.

An icon of cinema has passed into legend.

- Dustbiter, 2017

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:28 am

I'm rather looking forward to what will undoubtedly be heartwarming tributes from Messrs McKellen and (perhaps) Fry.

Look at how he commands the attention of a room of celebrities:

- Dustbiter, 2017

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:57 pm

I knew McKellen wouldn't disappoint:

http://t.co/sJgsZdvqjq

- Dustbiter, 2017

Elessar