The Hobbit Film Trilogy

A forum to discuss other music, artists, television and film.

Re: The Hobbit Film Trilogy

Postby buskersude » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:55 am

I'm finally gonna get to see The Desolation Of Smaug, soon.
My mate has it and will, at his convenience, invite me over to watch it. Then I can go see Five Armies int cinema. :cool:

Indeed I have my invite, for tomorrow.
Two buskers, each with a cold, gonna sit and eat dinner while watching The Desolation of Smaug!
Last edited by buskersude on Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can be anything you want to be...

buskersude
We Will Rock You

thank you fd...

Postby Elessar » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:33 am

Absolutely awesome. There was one point where I was subtly jumping for joy in my seat which is actually a really annoying moment when you apply any form of scrutiny, but I was so absorbed that I didn't care.
Last edited by Elessar on Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"BLM are as equally responsible as the KKK are"

- Dustbiter, 2017

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Tarkus » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:07 pm

Here's a good laugh- Stephen Colbert interviews Smaug!!

phpBB [video]

Tarkus

Postby Elessar » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:22 pm

That said, Lord Of The Rings is still comfortably better.

- Dustbiter, 2017

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:15 am

Re-watched it today, this time in 2D. It's brilliant; I loved it. I don't think I have any problem at all with most of the plot changes; most are embellishments rather than direct contradictions to the book. Azog being the main antagonist remains strange when it could easily have been Bolg, but I'm not too bothered by that.
That missing 17 years from the Fellowship of the Ring comes back to haunt the chronology though. 17 years passed between Bilbo leaving the Shire and Frodo leaving with the Ring, but in the film it's no more than a few days, which leads to confusion about various ages - is Frodo 33 or 50? Is Bilbo 111 or 128? And if the latter, why does he age so much more in the year between Rivendell and the Grey Havens than in those 17 years? (something to do with the Ring, I suppose)
Anyway, setting The Hobbit 60 years before the War of the Ring, as opposed to 60 years before Bilbo's 111st birthday messes up ages of characters for whom 17 years is quite a long time, most notably an 87 year old present in the War of the Ring who should have been 10, not 27, during The Hobbit.
I still loved the reference though.

- Dustbiter, 2017

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby buskersude » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:20 am

Why did no-one tell me Stephen Fry is in Desolation? :P
I recognised him instantly, but was very surprised to see him.

Well,.on the whole I liked it (Desolation of Smaug). There is so much more than in the book, but I do realise the justification for that, given the extra knowledge brought forward regarding Middle Earth in the LOTR trilogy, but I have to admit it makes it a little difficult to follow it all (on just one viewing).

I am glad I saw it now though and not a year ago, with that ending I would hate to have to wait a year to follow on. Well I'm gonna go next week to see it on the big screen.
You can be anything you want to be...

buskersude
We Will Rock You

thank you fd...

Postby WeeMann » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:53 am

Saw 5 Armies in 3D Imax yesterday. Wow! It looks beautiful. Totally forgot Stephen Fry was in it and someone else cropped up later who I was unaware of being in it, brilliantly cast for the battle scenes.

Great film.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby Elessar » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:38 pm

WeeMann wrote:Saw 5 Armies in 3D Imax yesterday. Wow! It looks beautiful. Totally forgot Stephen Fry was in it and someone else cropped up later who I was unaware of being in it, brilliantly cast for the battle scenes.

Great film.

I wasn't too happy about him swearing though.

- Dustbiter, 2017

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby WeeMann » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:06 pm

Elessar wrote:
WeeMann wrote:Saw 5 Armies in 3D Imax yesterday. Wow! It looks beautiful. Totally forgot Stephen Fry was in it and someone else cropped up later who I was unaware of being in it, brilliantly cast for the battle scenes.

Great film.

I wasn't too happy about him swearing though.

I know what you're saying, but it did suit the character and the setting.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby Tarkus » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:29 pm

Here's an article about a fan that's made his own edit of The Hobbit, cutting out most of the material that wasn't in the book- the Legolas/Tauriel/Kili love triangle finally bites the dust...

Fan edit cuts trilogy down to single film of 4 hours.

Tarkus

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:05 am

What happens in the cut down version that makes Legolas leave?
Cause you are beautiful
Your scars are beautiful, like the Jade
You'll still shine when you sink into the sea
Where the bleeding scarlet jealousy
Carves away your belief

Innuendoes
I Want To Break Free

The Master Of Space And Time

Postby Tarkus » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:16 am

Legolas barely features in the cut-down version, because he wasn't in The Hobbit book. About the only scene he's in is the one where the party of Dwarves are captured and taken to Thranduil. All the other scenes with him and Tauriel are cut. During the sequence when they escape in barrels, the footage of the Elves chasing them and fighting the Orcs is cut, only showing the Dwarves fighting off small bands of Orcs during the escape- the sequence is about four minutes long now. Also cut is the Orc raid on Laketown, because that wasn't in the book, and the Dwarves' battle with Smaug before he flies out to Laketown- same reason. The opening of the film is re-edited, taking out Ian Holm as old Bilbo, and the only footage we see of Smaug attacking Dale is done flashback-style when the Dwarves sing 'Across the Misty Mountains' by Bilbo's fireside. All the scenes with Rhadagast and Dol Guldur from all three films have also been cut, because they weren't written in the book, except when mentioned by Gandalf in passing. Gandalf essentially says goodbye to the Dwarves before they enter Mirkwood, and reappears at the Battle of Five Armies, as he does in the book.

Tarkus

Postby Innuendoes » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:15 am

Tarkus wrote:Legolas barely features in the cut-down version, because he wasn't in The Hobbit book. About the only scene he's in is the one where the party of Dwarves are captured and taken to Thranduil. All the other scenes with him and Tauriel are cut. During the sequence when they escape in barrels, the footage of the Elves chasing them and fighting the Orcs is cut, only showing the Dwarves fighting off small bands of Orcs during the escape- the sequence is about four minutes long now. Also cut is the Orc raid on Laketown, because that wasn't in the book, and the Dwarves' battle with Smaug before he flies out to Laketown- same reason. The opening of the film is re-edited, taking out Ian Holm as old Bilbo, and the only footage we see of Smaug attacking Dale is done flashback-style when the Dwarves sing 'Across the Misty Mountains' by Bilbo's fireside. All the scenes with Rhadagast and Dol Guldur from all three films have also been cut, because they weren't written in the book, except when mentioned by Gandalf in passing. Gandalf essentially says goodbye to the Dwarves before they enter Mirkwood, and reappears at the Battle of Five Armies, as he does in the book.

That's a lot of cutting, alright. My favorite parts were when Thranduil was on the screen :P , Smaug attacking the town then being taken down although he was an awesome looking dragon for sure.

The Tauriel Kili and Legolas triangle bothered me for the fact that i do like Legolas a lot and hated seeing him hurt. In the movie he is so defiant with his father over his love for Tauriel and when Tauriel fell in love with Kili, that made me upset, even though Kili is a nice and good looking character. It just didn't seem right that she fell for Kili, knowing how much Legolas cared for her and what he was prepared to do to stay with her. Ahh well, not in the book so it's ok, I guess. LOL

I also didn't like the ending where Legolas left Thranduil, possibly never to see him again and you could tell Thranduil was sad about his leaving. Thranduil seemed to have a weak moment when telling Legolas about his mother which was kind of sad in a way. And I guess that is the end of us seeing Thranduil. Boooooo. LOL
Cause you are beautiful
Your scars are beautiful, like the Jade
You'll still shine when you sink into the sea
Where the bleeding scarlet jealousy
Carves away your belief

Innuendoes
I Want To Break Free

The Master Of Space And Time

Postby Tarkus » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:08 pm

The Tauriel/Kili/Legolas love triangle bothered me mainly because in Tolkien's works, Elves and Dwarves have always had a mistrust of each other, if not complete dislike, so romantic feelings between a Dwarven male and an Elven female would be unheard of. That's why in Lord Of The Rings, the friendship that develops between Legolas and Gimli is such a special one- in the appendices of the books, they adventure together for a while across Middle Earth before they both depart for the Undying lands in the West, Gimli having earned the name of 'Elf-Friend' in the process, and he being the only one of his kind allowed to journey to the Elven lands across the sea. The relationship with Tauriel would most likely result in Legolas actually having a reason to hate Dwarves, so the fact that this friendship still develops in LOTR becomes nothing short of incredible. It jars, narratively speaking, which is why I wonder what PJ's motive was for putting it in there.

Tarkus

Postby Elessar » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:43 pm

My understanding is that the executives pushed for the love triangle, and most of it was filmed in the additional filming sessions once it was decided that it would be a trilogy.
The idea of a low-born elf and a dwarf having a little romance isn't that crazy. Gimli clearly fancied Galadriel, for example. Elves might not naturally be attracted to dwarves, but as a low-born elf living amongst nobles, it isn't unreasonable that Tauriel might feel some attraction.
Thranduil sends Legolas to the Council of Elrond, so they most likely did see each other again in the intervening 60 years.

- Dustbiter, 2017

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

PreviousNext

Return to Another World