The Hobbit Film Trilogy

A forum to discuss other music, artists, television and film.

Re: The Hobbit Film Trilogy

Postby Leigh Burne » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:01 am

I still haven't seen An Unexpected Journey... Should probably get around to it at some point.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Elessar » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:44 pm

Argh

Elessar

Postby MTQueenie » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:36 pm

Elessar wrote:Argh

Looks bloody amazing :D

MTQueenie
Spread Your Wings

Postby Leigh Burne » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:42 pm

Still haven't seen the first one.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Tarkus » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:28 pm

Looking fab! I've just bought the extended Blu-rays of the LOTR trilogy, so when all the Hobbit films are out on Blu-ray, I'll have a 20-hour Middle Earth marathon. :mrgreen:

Tarkus

Postby Elessar » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:55 pm

Those blu-rays are stunning, and I also really like the minimalist packaging.

Elessar

Postby Elessar » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:19 pm

Yeah buddy

Elessar

Postby Elessar » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:27 pm

Yeahhhhhhhh boy

Elessar

Postby Tarkus » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:57 am

I'm sure you guys know this stuff, but this was cool to find- click for biggie...

Tarkus

Postby Elessar » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:39 pm

Weird that we didn't discuss Desolation. I enjoyed it. More of a 'middle' film that The Two Towers, which earned as a standalone story, but still enjoyable.

Some sad news:

Elessar

Postby Barbarella » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:50 pm

Haha, I'm watching it again on DVD as we speak! :D I agree with you Elessar, I thought Desolation was great fun. A wee bit weaker than the Unexpected Journey, but still a very good film. I guess I just didn't want to comment just yet since so many of my Facebook friends have been ranting about how awful the film is, and I'm not interested in arguing. But for me the film was fine, and the character Tauriel didn't bother me one bit. I thought I would hate her (she-elves don't normally fight), but I actually liked her. I look forward to seeing the EE of Desolation, and also There and back again when it comes out in December. :)

Sad to hear about Shadowfax. :(
"I'm hoping for an afterlife, but there had better be chocolate!" - Brian May

Mayniac: Back To The Light
Taylorette: Strange Frontier

R.I.P. Eva & Emma, two lovely ladies gone before their time. We will remember you!

Barbarella
Spread Your Wings

You're never too old to rock and roll, if you're too young to die!

Postby Tarkus » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:31 pm

I only managed to watch Desolation two days ago after having bought the blu-ray. Tauriel is a decent enough character, but what grated for me was putting her in a love triangle with Legolas and Kili. Since when did Dwarves and Elves ever countenance romantic relationships in Middle Earth? Not anywhere that I read- at best there was polite mistrust, if not downright open hostility. Also, was it me, or was Legolas more deep-voiced and confident-sounding than he was on LOTR? I'd have addressed that, and left out the love triangle aspect- and also not have left Bofur and Fili behind in Laketown with Kili- that whole plotline wasn't in the book, and didn't work for me.

What did work was the reveal that the Necromancer was Sauron, and the developments that will ultimately culminate in the Battle Of Five Armies- and Smaug was the best cinematic dragon since Vermithrax Pejorative in Dragonslayer. Overall, not a bad film, but slightly disappointed with it, compared to all the other films in the PJ Middle Earth canon.

Tarkus

Postby Elessar » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:45 pm

Low-born elves in general aren't mentioned in the book. Tauriel's a non-Tolkien invention but I see her as an addition rather than a contradiction.

I think splitting the Company makes sense so that we see Smaug's attack on Laketown through the eyes of established characters. The Tauriel/Legolas/Kili thing also puts the elves in Laketown, which will make it easier to explain them rocking up to the Battle Of Five Armies. As fantastic as Lord Of The Rings is, The Hobbit is a much earlier book full of plot holes, inconsistencies, and far too many cases of Deus ex machina. I think Jackson has tidied some of that up.

I can't really fault Desolation really - that said, I haven't rushed out to buy the blu-ray. The Hobbit trilogy hasn't yet recaptured the magic of the previous trilogy.

Elessar

Postby FreddiesShootingStar » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:22 pm

Bilbo Baggins is in the new TV series *Fargo*, it's 10 episodes, three in so far, pretty good show, I thought I recognized him! :P

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0418085/?ref_=tt_cl_t4

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2802850/
*LOASA's Most Obsessed Mercurian 2010/Co-winner 2011/2012*

FreddiesShootingStar
Don't Stop Me Now

*Guaranteed to blow your mind!!*

Postby Elessar » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:24 pm

FreddiesShootingStar wrote:Bilbo Baggins is in the new TV series *Fargo*, it's 10 episodes, three in so far, pretty good show, I thought I recognized him! :P

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0418085/?ref_=tt_cl_t4

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2802850/

As much as I love all things Tolkien, I can't think of him as primarily Bilbo! He's Tim Canterbury (...of the Canterbury Tales...of Chaucer...and Shakespeare. The Archbishop of Canterbury...bashing the bishop...Bishop Muzorewa)

Elessar

PreviousNext

Return to Another World