The QOL Asia, AFJP, Yes and related bands thread.

A forum to discuss other music, artists, television and film.

The QOL Asia, AFJP, Yes and related bands thread.

Postby Dusty » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:12 am

So, with Asia poised to release their latest album Omega on the 26th, and Asia featuring John Payne set to release Arcana in June, this looks to be a very good year for Asia fans. Not only that, but with Asia and Emerson, Lake and Palmer appearing at the High Voltage festival in London in July, we're set for a live treat, too. Anyone else a fan of this band?

*update* Thread title modified to avoid confusion.
Last edited by Dusty on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dusty

Re: The QOL Asia thread.

Postby Cool Cat » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:37 pm

Was a huge fan in the early days, remember hearing Only Time Will Tell & Heat of the Moment and then buying the debut album, which i just about wore out in 1981, and since then i've bought all their albums, only regret is i never got to see them live in their younger days. Heard the tracks from the new album and they're a breathe of fresh air, like going back 25 years or more.

Cool Cat
Don't Stop Me Now

See Me In The Shadows

Postby Mercury87 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:58 pm

I'm also a big Asia fan. I became a fan because I really love Steve Howe and his work with Yes so my love for Asia wasn't that strange even though they were really different from Yes (early Yes I mean).
I really love the debut album which is one of the better albums from a supergroup. Alpha was decent with some great songs, but very patchy and a let down after a splendid debut album. Phoenix was a return to form with some more prog moments which reminded me more of the older prog bands.
I'm really curious to hear Omega, only five days!

Mercury87
Spread Your Wings

Postby Dusty » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:35 pm

There was quite a fun thing going on on Planet Rock radio yesterday, with Rick Wakeman. He has a spot called Lyric Theatre, where listeners send in radio plays which have to include as many song titles from one band in the script. This week, the band was Asia, and Geoff Downes and John Wetton guest-starred! The punchline for the play was that Rick Wakeman wanted to join Asia onstage for a gig, because if he did, there'd be more original members from Yes in Asia than there are in the current Yes lineup! :lol:

Dusty

Postby FreddiesShootingStar » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:51 pm

You can download a free track (Finger On The Trigger) from the new album here:

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/track-of-the-day-asia/
*LOASA's Most Obsessed Mercurian 2010/Co-winner 2011/2012*

FreddiesShootingStar
Don't Stop Me Now

*Guaranteed to blow your mind!!*

Postby Mercury87 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:11 pm

FreddiesShootingStar wrote:You can download a free track (Finger On The Trigger) from the new album here:

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/track-of-the-day-asia/

Old news, You could download that track from AOL a few weeks ago. That said, It's nice too see that Classic Rock selected it as their track of the day.
Hopefully, they will sell more with this album, because Phoenix didn't sell alot :(

Mercury87
Spread Your Wings

Postby Mercury87 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:55 pm

I bought the new album and already listened to it. Based on my first impressions, it is an enjoyable album with some really nice tracks, but I have to give it a few spins in order to give a more detailled review of the album.

Mercury87
Spread Your Wings

Postby Mercury87 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:39 am

The Japanese version of the album will contain an additional track called 'Drop a Stone'.

Mercury87
Spread Your Wings

Postby Dusty » Sat May 29, 2010 12:07 am

I have to say that Wetton is in fine voice on this album, and there's an energy there that hasn't been felt since the eighties. I love the catchiness of 'Listen Children' and 'I Believe'. Anyone who thinks Asia peaked on their debut album needs to listen to this- the band are at the top of their game.

Dusty

Postby Dusty » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:42 am

Some video treats for you Asia fans now. The progress on the latest Asia Featuring John Payne album has been slower than expected, but they've signed with Steve Vai's record label Favored Nations, and have finished the final production tweaks, so the release is imminent. They're starting the promo tour in the US already, and here's a taster, as well as the video blogs for their new album.

For those of you who may not have been as fond of the John Payne lineup as they were of the originals, annd wonder why John Payne has continued with doing Asia stuff, I urge you to listen to the snippets here. The new band members are all interviewed on these video blogs, and it's clear that they were influenced heavily by Steve Howe, Carl Palmer and Geoff Downes, as well as Rick Wakeman and various members of Yes. John has chosen this new lineup carefully, and produced a band that's musically right up there with the original lineup, and who aren't afraid to tackle the classic stuff and put their own interpretative edge to the music. From what I've seen, Asia fans are in for a treat, as the new AFJP snippets we get a sneak peek of are frickin' awesome, and we now effectively get two bands for the price of one. AFJP live sound incredible with the new boys now, and I'd love them to tour the UK, if John Wetton would only let them. Here are the vids...

So, the AFJP line up is:

John Payne, bass/vocals
Erik Norlander, keyboards/vocals
Mitch Perry, guitar/vocals
Jay Schellen, drums/vocals.

Dusty

Postby Cool Cat » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:32 pm

John Payne sounds pretty good, i'd definitely go and see them.

Cool Cat
Don't Stop Me Now

See Me In The Shadows

Postby Dusty » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:26 am

They sound like they'd put on a hell of a show. Their interpretations of the early stuff sound quite good- very punchy, tight and musically competent. I'd certainly go see them if they played the UK.

Dusty

Postby Mercury87 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:54 pm

According to the website, Asia will perform several dates in the U.K in December:
10 December: Edinburgh Picturehouse
11 December: Birmingham Institute
14 December: London Forum

Mercury87
Spread Your Wings

Postby Dusty » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:24 pm

Mercury87 wrote:According to the website, Asia will perform several dates in the U.K in December:

Ah, you're talking about Asia, the original lineup. I was talking about Asia Feraturing John Payne. There's two bands, you see- both being talked about on this thread. ;) Still, I can see the original lads at the London Forum, on their Omega tour as I missed 'em at the HiVo.

Dusty

Postby Mercury87 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:58 pm

Greywoolfe wrote:
Mercury87 wrote:According to the website, Asia will perform several dates in the U.K in December:

Ah, you're talking about Asia, the original lineup. I was talking about Asia Feraturing John Payne. There's two bands, you see- both being talked about on this thread. ;) Still, I can see the original lads at the London Forum, on their Omega tour as I missed 'em at the HiVo.

I was aware that you were talking about 'Asia featuring John Payne' :) , but given the fact you live in the U.K and also love the original Asia, I thought it wasn't a bad idea to inform you.

Also, here is 'Drop a Stone' which was only released on the Japanese versions of the album. Enjoy!

Mercury87
Spread Your Wings

Next

Return to Another World