The QOL Asia, AFJP, Yes and related bands thread.

A forum to discuss other music, artists, television and film.

Re: The QOL Asia, AFJP, Yes and related bands thread.

Postby Tarkus » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:22 pm

This one hit me just as hard as Bowie's passing did- John's website had a forum guestbook where Asia fans and fans of his solo stuff could get together and talk about his music and anything else they wanted to, and before he dedicated his time to Twitter, John himself would be online talking to us- I have fond memories of chatting to him online about his inspirations for the songs on Astra, and also when I was going through my struggle with heart disease, he gave me reassuring and encouraging messages- he'd had a double bypass himself, so I felt that there was at least something we had in common, an illness we both overcame, albeit in differing ways- but his positivity in dealing with it and bouncing back was a constant inspiration. His death was a hammer blow to me this year. Whenever I heard an Asia song, I was 18 again and had long hair, and it was always summer. On days like those I felt that I could change the world. His music will still have that effect on me, it's just such a rotten bloody shame that there won't be any more of it.

Asia's guitarist Sam Coulson recorded this on the day John died:

phpBB [video]

And this is possibly my favourite Asia song- I love the message it gives.
phpBB [video]

Tarkus

Postby Innuendoes » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:55 am

Tarkus wrote:John Wetton, bassist, lead singer and chief songwriter of Asia, has passed away aged just 67, fighting sepsis after having a cancerous tumour removed from hos bowel. Asia, my all-time favourite band,looks to be no more. :(

So sorry he has passed and you are having such a bad time of it with your most favorite groups. May he RIP :-(
Oh, never be impatient with the ones who love you
It might be yourself that you're burning
Sing a song of love and open up your heart
For you might be the prince of peace returning

Innuendoes
Somebody To Love

The Master Of Space And Time

Postby Innuendoes » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:58 am

Tarkus wrote:I've just discovered this! It seems that a young musical prodigy by the name of Rachel Flowers was befriended by Keith Emerson not so long ago- the incredible thing is that Rachel lost her sight shortly after birth, and is completely blind, yet was inspired to play keyboards by ELP's music. Keith got to hear about her, and invited her to play on his Moog. Guys, watch this- she's absolutely gifted. Here she is playing excerpts from Trilogy and Hoedown, followed by the second video, where she plays Tarkus.

Greg, Carl, you HAVE to get this girl with you to play a tribute gig for Keith- she's absofrickenlutely amazing!

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

She is incredible! That sound is out of this world and she has such talent. Hopefully, someone will get her in to record!
Oh, never be impatient with the ones who love you
It might be yourself that you're burning
Sing a song of love and open up your heart
For you might be the prince of peace returning

Innuendoes
Somebody To Love

The Master Of Space And Time

Postby Tarkus » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:26 pm

She can play mean guitar, too- this is her on stage with Dweezil Zappa, playing one off his dad's songs, Montana.

phpBB [video]

Not only that, but she has her own website, is now publishing and composing her own music, but she's the star attraction in a tribute concert to Keith Emerson in Birmingham, UK later this year, where she'll be playing alongside the likes of Rick Wakeman! On her website, she plays stuff by King Crimson, and she met Greg Lake too- so I'm willing to bet there will be a few nods to Greg and John Wetton, too.

http://rachelflowersmusic.com/event/kei ... -his-life/

Tarkus

Postby Tarkus » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:28 am

Well, it seems there is no limit to Billy Sherwood's talents- as well as replacing Chris Squire in Yes, it's been announced that he's now the bass and vocalist for Asia, while they tour with Journey. This was given John Wetton's blessing before he passed, as he was too ill to tour due to having chemotherapy. Now that he's gone, it may be that Billy's position will be more permanent. I loved his work with John on John's solo album Raised in captivity, and his work with Circa:, World Trade and Yes were consistently brilliant- his musical influence comes from the same stable as Asia's music, so maybe future albums- if there will be any- will have the same sound influence that captured and inspired me all those years ago.

Here's a clip of Billy singing with Asia during their current tour- sounding pretty bloody amazing, with Sam Coulson on guitar, Carl Palmer on drums and Geoff Downes on keys. Only Time Will Tell and Heat Of The Moment. Billy, please stay- Asia MUST carry on!

phpBB [video]

Tarkus

Postby FreddiesShootingStar » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:31 pm

Yes Thank Fans’ Discerning Tastes as They’re Inducted Into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/yes-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-induction/

Jon Anderson Returns, Geddy Lee Joins Yes at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/yes-perform-hall-of-fame/

*LOASA's Most Obsessed Mercurian 2010/Co-winner 2011/2012*

FreddiesShootingStar
Don't Stop Me Now

*Guaranteed to blow your mind!!*

Postby Tarkus » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:56 am

I loved the acceptance speeches- Rick Wakeman ripped the piss out of the whole thing by effectively doing a stand-up routine by way of a thank-you, and Jon Anderson was laughing his ass off! :lol:

Tarkus

Postby Capt. Den Ronson » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:17 am

Tarkus wrote:I loved the acceptance speeches- Rick Wakeman ripped the piss out of the whole thing by effectively doing a stand-up routine by way of a thank-you, and Jon Anderson was laughing his ass off! :lol:

He had the audacity to rip the piss dressed like a complete twat. What the fuck does he look like :lol:
http://www.last.fm/user/WillieTheGimp
Maud R. Fokker
Hugh Jardon
Cox Ucker

Capt. Den Ronson
The Show Must Go On

Has spanked: 5049 times / Been spanked: 0 times

Postby action » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:40 am

the greatest among you will be your servant

action
Don't Stop Me Now

woe to you, teachers of the law, you hypocrites!

Previous

Return to Another World