The QOL Asia, AFJP, Yes and related bands thread.

A forum to discuss other music, artists, television and film.

Re: The QOL Asia, AFJP, Yes and related bands thread.

Postby FreddiesShootingStar » Tue May 07, 2013 6:24 pm

Audio only:

*LOASA's Most Obsessed Mercurian 2010/Co-winner 2011/2012*

FreddiesShootingStar
Don't Stop Me Now

*Guaranteed to blow your mind!!*

Postby FreddiesShootingStar » Wed May 08, 2013 6:35 pm

FreddiesShootingStar
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Tarkus » Fri May 24, 2013 6:30 pm

i bought the Live in Philadephia 1979 DVD, hoping that would be on there, but the DVD has maybe less than half of the concert, and not all of it is particularly good quality recording. Are there any Yes live DVDs you can recommend?

Tarkus

Postby FreddiesShootingStar » Sat May 25, 2013 6:01 am

I don't have anything from the 70s, I have:

1) Yes 9012Live, recorded at Northlands Coliseum in Edmonton, Canada on 28 and 29 September 1984
2) Yes Union Live, recorded at the Shoreline Amphitheatre, California in 1991
3) Yes ~ The New Director's Cut, recorded live in Birmingham, England and the Glastonbury Festival, 2003 European tour (2 discs)
4) Yes Live At Montreux 2003
5) Songs From Tsongas, 35th Anniversary Concert, recorded live at the Tsongas Arena in Lowell, Massachusetts on 15 May 2004 (2 discs)

I like them all but Montreux is my fave!! :biggrin:

FreddiesShootingStar
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Tarkus » Sat May 25, 2013 5:35 pm

I went over to Yesfans, and it would seem that there are two different versions of the Philly '79 DVD, one filmed in 4:3 and the other in 16:9, and the 16:9 is the better video- but that's the one I have! :shock: I can excuse the poor video quality, as it was shot on videotape, and that's hard to do a remaster from, but the sound- ugh! They should have made a soundboard recording of the show and used that as the soundtrack- instead, it's taken from the PA and the camera mikes, so teh sound is all over the place and very muddy. Only two tracks come out decently- Starship Trooper and I See All Good People. The rest is hopelessly garbled and distorted up the wazoo.

I've just ordered the director's cut of 9012-Live, which has the option of showing the concert without all the '80s graphics and visuals- I got to see a few bits on Youtube, and that's a world of difference from Philly '79, I can tell you! :lol:

Tarkus

Postby FreddiesShootingStar » Sat May 25, 2013 8:03 pm

Tarkus wrote:I've just ordered the director's cut of 9012-Live, which has the option of showing the concert without all the '80s graphics and visuals- I got to see a few bits on Youtube, and that's a world of difference from Philly '79, I can tell you! :lol:

That's the one I have, I much prefer it without the graphics!! ;)

FreddiesShootingStar
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Tarkus » Sun May 26, 2013 10:24 pm

I've also ordered a John Payne-era Asia live DVD from the 2002 20th anniversary tour, now listed as Asia Featuring John Payne. There's a variety of tracks there from the debut album right up to Aura.

Tarkus

Postby Tarkus » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:35 pm

At last, some footage of Sam Coulson with Asia- this was taken at the Sweden Rock festival, and this is the lead single from the Astra album, Go.

I must say, I LIKE it! The vibe is very much Astra- it's as if Mandy Meyer had never left. Steve Howe gave this song a much more melodic twist when I saw them, but this song is definitely a rocker- and Sam's guitar break towards the end is superb. Very much looking forward to Valkyrie now- if only John Payne could pull his finger out and release Americana as well...

Tarkus

Postby FreddiesShootingStar » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:11 pm

FreddiesShootingStar
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Tarkus » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:37 am

They'll be playing the Royal Albert Hall in London, about a couple of weeks after Rick Wakeman does his Journey To The Centre Of The Earth anniversary production with full orchestra and Roger Dean designed stage. Incidentally, Roger Dean is taking James Cameron to court over the Avatar film breaching copyright over his images.

Tarkus

Postby Tarkus » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:55 pm

FreddiesShootingStar wrote:
Tarkus wrote:I've just ordered the director's cut of 9012-Live, which has the option of showing the concert without all the '80s graphics and visuals- I got to see a few bits on Youtube, and that's a world of difference from Philly '79, I can tell you! :lol:

That's the one I have, I much prefer it without the graphics!! ;)

I finally had a chance to watch this today- WTF was Chris Squire wearing? :lol: Dontcha just love the eighties fashions! The interviews were interesting, as Trevor Rabin remarked that he auditioned for Asia and recorded a demo, but didn't feel the spark. I decided to dig, to see what I could find, and I discovered this...

So it seems that Rabin did lead vocals and Wetton did backing! No wonder there wasn't a spark, John isn't comfortable with taking second fiddle when it comes to vocals. It would have been interesting with Trevor in Asia, his guitar work on 9012Live was just incredible.

Tarkus wrote:I've also ordered a John Payne-era Asia live DVD from the 2002 20th anniversary tour, now listed as Asia Featuring John Payne. There's a variety of tracks there from the debut album right up to Aura.

This was a good DVD as well- no extras or frills, but a damn good show, and the band were playing superbly. Lineup for this was: John Payne, Bass/Vocals- Guthrie Govan, Guitar- Chris Slade, Drums- Geoff Downes, Keyboards. Each song was intercut with small snippets of interviews with the band and audience by some bint who had trouble preventing fallout from her top, but distractions aside, a good performance by the band.

Tarkus

Postby FreddiesShootingStar » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:15 am

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/yes-first-concert/

It was 45 years ago that Yes began their live career on a very inauspicious note, as they performed their first gig on Aug. 3, 1968 at the East Mersea Youth Camp in Essex.

The recently formed band had risen from the ashes of the Syn, one of many notable bands on the UK psychedelic scene. Their bassist and guitarist, Chris Squire and Peter Banks respectively, formed a new band called Mabel Greer’s Toyshop. In June of 1968, Squire was introduced to singer Jon Anderson at a local night club. The two hit it off and Anderson was invited to join the group.

Mabel Greer’s Toyshop did some gigs that combined soul, R&B and psychedelia with Anderson’s unique vocal style as the band find its own distinct sound. They restructured by bringing in keyboardist Tony Kaye, who had previously been in a band called Bittersweet, and drummer extraordinaire Bill Bruford, who they found via an ad in the Melody Maker. Banks thought the band’s name was too cliche and suggested a new name — the simple, yet effective, Yes.

It came to pass that the newly christened group had only a week to prepare for their debut, so naturally they leaned heavily on cover songs, including tracks from the Beatles,Traffic, Buffalo Springfield and the 5th Dimension. “It is seldom mentioned that Yes basically began as a covers band, doing interpretations of other people’s material,” notes Banks in the Yes bio ‘Close To The Edge,’ “But what covers they were, given the full Yes treatment! “We didn’t just rearrange a song — we celebrated it with much enthusiasm!”

“We were doing this at a time when most British rock groups were blues based and very much in a ‘post psychedelic just wanting to rock out, man’ mode,” added Banks. Though their debut gig was somewhat underwhelming for the band and audience, this did not dampen the band’s spirits. A few days later, Yes were on more appropriate ground, performing a set at the Marquee club in London. The rest, is, ahem… Yestory!

FreddiesShootingStar
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby FreddiesShootingStar » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:44 pm

The time has finally come, I will be seeing *Yes* in March, WOOHOO! :biggrin: :onfire:

FreddiesShootingStar
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Tarkus » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:41 am

I expect full reviews, setlist and everything! :P

Meanwhile, Asia's new album will be entitled Gravitas, and will be released around April.

Tarkus

Postby Fizzle » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:55 am

I received a few albums for Christmas, two of them 'Fragile' by Yes and 'The Six Wives of Henry VIII' by Rick Wakeman. These are completely new to me. I quite enjoyed them.

I've been told to listen to Yes by many but haven't got 'round to it 'til now. I suppose I've been missing out on something brilliant.

Fizzle
The Show Must Go On

PreviousNext

Return to Another World