The Darkness is Back

A forum to discuss other music, artists, television and film.

Re: The Darkness is Back

Postby vivid » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:14 pm

Was at their two "homecoming gigs" last year. Both in Norwich. Handy living just up the road from the band. Im in Great Yarmouth & they're in Lowestoft. A mates band was reheasing in the same studio as them nearly a year before they announced anything, wasn't too much of a surprise in these parts when they reformed.

Anyways, click my link & hear the new album a few days early http://www1.rollingstone.com/hearitnow/player/darkness.html

vivid
Spread Your Wings

Has arrived!

Postby Lover Boy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:14 am

Holy crap. Thanks, Vivid. Can't wait to have an early listen!

Lover Boy
The Show Must Go On

"Use all the tricks of the trade, dear, and if you believe in yourself, go all the way." -- Freddie

Postby Lover Boy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:26 am

Now I'm even more excited to get my hands on the album! I just finished listening to it and I must say that the band does not disappoint. The one thing I will say is that you should NOT expect another "Permission to Land." That was a beast of its own. But this album still has GREAT crunchy guitar riffs with rock solid rhythm and not to mention the infectious voice of Justin Hawkins. But it also sounds a bit more polished, without succumbing to the pop tendencies of "One Way Ticket To Hell...And Back."

I was pleasantly surprised by how well the first two tracks work as openers. Within a minute of "Every Inch of You" we already have Justin Hawkins telling us everybody wants to suck his cock. 0_o Wow. Just wow. But it works incredibly well as a reintroduction to the band. And "Nothings Gonna Stop Us Now" is a real grower. At first, when the single came out, which I own, I thought it was crap. But I was wrong! In fact, I can't get it out of my head.

I'll save my opinion for the rest of the album until later since I've only just finished listening to it. But I will say that the highlights for me are "Living Each Day Blind" (which struck a chord for me, personally), "Forbidden Love" (absolutely gorgeous flamenco feel, which in a way harks back to the diversity of Queen), "Concrete" (simple rocker about finding love in the 'concrete jungle'), and the epic cover of Radiohead's "Street Spirit" (never heard the original, but The Darkness rock on this one).

Of course the deluxe material is pretty outstanding. Especially "I Can't Believe It's Not Love" which is a cute little ditty despite it's depressing lyrics. Harks back to bad memories. Which brings me to the feeling that this album seems to have a theme of simple real life issues. The music is grand and over the top, but the lyrical content is very personal and meaningful. Hm...reminds me of my favorite band. ;)

Can't wait to see what others think of the album!

Lover Boy
The Show Must Go On

"Use all the tricks of the trade, dear, and if you believe in yourself, go all the way." -- Freddie

Postby Khashoggi » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:19 am

Well, I was really hoping for that album to be a blast. After hearing 'Inch Of You', 'Nothing's Gonna Stop Us' and 'Everybody Have A Good Time' I was really disappointed - but I thought maybe there will be tracks on that new record that I will love instantly.
Last night I listened to all the tracks - and what do I say? I'm still disappointed! Bloody hell, I just don't like it. And I really hate the fact that I don't like it. 'Inch Of You' has actually grown on me, I consider it a real good song and a real good opener, I agree with that. Then I listened to all tracks again this day - and I still don't feel any excitement. Nothing, at all. Yes, there are a few good moments. 'Forbidden Love' sounded nice, and I like 'Concrete' - still, I don't think these are totally exciting songs, you know?
The worst song on the album is definitely 'Nothing's Gonna Stop Us' - I hate it. I can't listen to that, I think it's so annoying.
Foxy Shazam, for example: When I first listened to their new album "The Church Of Rock'n'Roll" - I was in love with it at once. It's a perfect rock album, it's pure fun to listen to. I guess that's something which is definitely missing in the new Darkness world - it's not as entertaining as it used to be. It sounds like they wanna sound pretty much grown-up now. Where's the fun? Where are the moments of crazy laughter, because of songs like 'Givin' Up' or 'Get Your Hands Off My Woman?' To me, their new work sounds boring, and I don't think it will grow on me.
The fact that I'm almost done with the album after only 2 try's makes me really sad. I was waiting so long for a Darkness reunion, and I was so damn excited - and now I don't like it.
At this point I rather listen to Foxy Shazam, or even Justin's solo project "Hot Leg" - they've created a strong and funny and creative rock album, and there are songs on it that are better than that whole new Darkness album.

I think I will listen to "Permission To Land" now - it's perfect.
The new material doesn't fit my taste - maybe it will grow on me someday. Maybe it won't.
2005 / Queen + Paul Rodgers, (Köln)
2008 / Queen + Paul Rodgers, (Hannover)
2015 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Köln)
2016 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Köln)
2017 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Munich)
2018 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Köln)

Khashoggi
We Will Rock You

Take a holiday on Khashoggi's Ship..

Postby P.T » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:38 am

Me neither. As someone who's seen The Darkness live twice in the last year, first at Hammersmith and then in Thetford Forest (so you can't say I ain't a fan), I can honestly say their new album sucks. It's not because they're slightly less gimmicky than say, the songs on Permission To Land, because to be fair, they are. The songs are just weak overall.

I listen to a HELLUVA lot of music in this category now, I can find you much better.

Say hello to Steel Panther:

Or perhaps Jettblack:

P.T
We Will Rock You

Postby Lover Boy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:28 am

To put it bluntly, I agree that the band is not rocking with their cocks out quite as much. It's certainly a departure. But this departure actually occurred back in 2005 with One Way Ticket to Hell...And Back. Suddenly the band started sounding more like a pop/rock band (especially tracks like "Is It Just Me" and "Knockers") as opposed to a more aggressive band, which is one of the reasons why I think we all love Permission to Land. That being said, I don't think Hot Cakes is a better album than Permission to Land. But that is my first mistake. It has been 9 long years since their debut album and 6 years since their disbandment. As one of you mentioned, it seems like the band has matured, and rightfully so. But their music is still fun even without the hilarious laughter from Justin Hawkins and the over the top lyrical content (ex. Black Shuck being about an evil dog and God knows what else). What we have now is a band that is taking their over the top grandeur and putting some heart and soul into it. And for that I admire them. Back are the crunchy guitar riffs and great melodic hooks and gone are the bullshit pop tendencies that started to show their ugly face on their sophomore album. It might take an album or two for them to create another magnum opus. But God damn it Hot Cakes is a step in the right direction. When it's all said and done The Darkness are more rock and roll than most other contemporary rock bands.

Lover Boy
The Show Must Go On

Postby Khashoggi » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:43 am

Steven wrote:Suddenly the band started sounding more like a pop/rock band (especially tracks like "Is It Just Me" and "Knockers") as opposed to a more aggressive band, which is one of the reasons why I think we all love Permission to Land.

Personally, I loved "One Way Ticket To Hell..And Back" - both "Is It Just Me" and "Knockers" are truly great songs. When they released that album I still thought they we're bloody great, and I enjoyed every single song thoroughly. Tracks like "Hazel Eyes" made me very happy, because this is what I really love to hear.
On "Hot Cakes", there is no song like that. It's all definitely so weak, which is such a pity. Still, I'm happy they're back together - especially in terms of performing live. Maybe they'll really come up with a better album next time. That's all I can say. What a disappointment.

Khashoggi
We Will Rock You

Postby Khashoggi » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:45 am

Steven wrote:When it's all said and done The Darkness are more rock and roll than most other contemporary rock bands.

Yeah, that's probably true.

Khashoggi
We Will Rock You

Postby Lover Boy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:26 pm

Khashoggi wrote:
Steven wrote:Suddenly the band started sounding more like a pop/rock band (especially tracks like "Is It Just Me" and "Knockers") as opposed to a more aggressive band, which is one of the reasons why I think we all love Permission to Land.

Personally, I loved "One Way Ticket To Hell..And Back" - both "Is It Just Me" and "Knockers" are truly great songs. When they released that album I still thought they we're bloody great, and I enjoyed every single song thoroughly. Tracks like "Hazel Eyes" made me very happy, because this is what I really love to hear.
On "Hot Cakes", there is no song like that. It's all definitely so weak, which is such a pity. Still, I'm happy they're back together - especially in terms of performing live. Maybe they'll really come up with a better album next time. That's all I can say. What a disappointment.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked One Way Ticket to Hell...And Back. Despite some of the pop tendencies, I accepted it as necessary change since the band can't stay the same forever. And that's one of the things I loathe in a band. If a band can't evolve and plays the same kind of tunes for the duration of their career I get bored very, very quickly. I kind of compare Hot Cakes to The Works. I think there is a sense of them playing it safe as they don't really know what to expect from their audience. "Do they still want to hear us?" "How should we approach our first album in SIX years?" "Should we return to our roots or move on as if it we hadn't split for six years?" I'm sure it was difficult to approach. And their approach, in my opinion, isn't a bad one at all. I still think there is a lot of fun to be had in listening to Hot Cakes. It's different from their past two albums, yes, but the quality of musicianship is still there. And I LOVE what they've done with their hair. ;)

Lover Boy
The Show Must Go On

Postby Johan » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:49 pm

I listened to Hot Cakes yesterday. I liked what I heard tbh. But then, I've always held One Way Ticket in a much, much higher esteem than Permission to Land. I usually tend to skip a few songs from their debut album as supposed to One Way Ticket where, imho, are not bad songs at all.

Part of it is probably due to the level of production. Their second album just sounds so much better than the first.
There must be something you can say..?

Johan
Spread Your Wings

Postby P.T » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:09 pm

The more I listen, the more I wonder whether The Darkness would be any better without Justin Hawkins. O wait.

P.T
We Will Rock You

Postby Lover Boy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:13 pm

Way too masculine. It needs more Justin!
Last edited by Lover Boy on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lover Boy
The Show Must Go On

Postby P.T » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:39 pm

Frolicy. This actually has Justin Hawkins on vocals for part of the song...Miles better than The Darkness :P

P.T
We Will Rock You

Postby P.T » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:11 pm

Funny, I thought people on a music forum would welcome music suggestions.

P.T
We Will Rock You

Postby Khashoggi » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:38 pm

FreddiesWhiteDove wrote:Funny, I thought people on a music forum would welcome music suggestions.

I do :) Thanks! Haven't heard from Steel Panther before, so it's definitely something brand new and fresh for me, which I enjoy. My god, their lyrics are so absurd, and I love it.

Khashoggi
We Will Rock You

PreviousNext

Return to Another World