The Darkness is Back

A forum to discuss other music, artists, television and film.

Re: The Darkness is Back

Postby Johan » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:08 am

The Stone Gods album is brilliant. It has more punch than the records from The Darkness. Great vocalist too.
There must be something you can say..?

Johan
Spread Your Wings

Postby Frank » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:42 pm

FreddiesWhiteDove wrote:Funny, I thought people on a music forum would welcome music suggestions.

Thanks for the suggestion. But Steel Panther, or that song more specifically, doesn't impress me all that much. I do appreciate the throwback to the eighties though.

On a side note: I just started looking for Hot Leg (haven't bothered to check out Stone Gods just yet) and can't find them on Amazon or in any local music store. Are their albums not available in the USA?
2014 - Queen + Adam Lambert (MSG in NYC)
2014 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Washington D.C.)
2017 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Brooklyn, NYC)
2017 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Philadelphia)
2018 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Las Vegas) 2X

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Fairy tales of yesterday will grow but never die...

Postby P.T » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:16 pm

If you've not heard Hot Leg, I'd probably advise you don't...they really are quite awful.

P.T
The Show Must Go On

Postby Khashoggi » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:18 pm

FreddiesWhiteDove wrote:If you've not heard Hot Leg, I'd probably advise you don't...they really are quite awful.

Awful?? Well...I think their album is pretty damn awesome! It's so much better than the new Darkness album. I simply enjoy it.
2005 / Queen + Paul Rodgers, (Köln)
2008 / Queen + Paul Rodgers, (Hannover)
2015 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Köln)
2016 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Köln)
2017 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Munich)
2018 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Köln)

Khashoggi
We Will Rock You

Take a holiday on Khashoggi's Ship..

Postby Khashoggi » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:20 pm

Steven wrote:I just started looking for Hot Leg (haven't bothered to check out Stone Gods just yet) and can't find them on Amazon or in any local music store.

I could load it up for you somewhere and give you the link - would that be a good idea? You need to hear it if you haven't heard it yet. It's just funny and enjoyable.

Khashoggi
We Will Rock You

Postby Frank » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:14 pm

Khashoggi wrote:
Steven wrote:I just started looking for Hot Leg (haven't bothered to check out Stone Gods just yet) and can't find them on Amazon or in any local music store.

I could load it up for you somewhere and give you the link - would that be a good idea? You need to hear it if you haven't heard it yet. It's just funny and enjoyable.

If it's not too much trouble I would most certainly appreciate that!

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby Frank » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:01 am

Is this song what I think it's about? Grooming under age girls?!

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby Frank » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:54 am

Khashoggi was gracious enough to provide me with a copy of Hot Leg's album Red Light Fever. For what it's worth, here are my thoughts!

Chickens

Holy crap! This is an incredible opener in terms of great riffing and that ridiculous chorus! I had it playing in my room and my father raised both eye brows at how ludicrous Hawkins' chicken screams sounded. And just the other day he was praising The Darkness for writing intelligent rock songs (after listening to Cannonball from the new album). To his credit, I kind of thought the same thing at first, but then I found the lyrics and realized the song wasn't literally just about chickens and actually had some thought provoking lyrics. My favorite lyric is "I thrilled to your squeals as I twisted my blade."

You Can't Hurt Me Anymore

This song paints the perfect picture of some guy who struggles after a painful relationship. And Justin makes it FUN!!! Imagine that. This is everything I would expect from Justin and more. A great follow up to Chickens and it kept things rocking.

Ashamed

Pardon me, but this is the kind of song that Roger Taylor should have written when he wrote C-lebrity. Again the melodic hooks just keep on coming with this rocker and it really takes a stab at reality television. It's another example of how at first a song can just sound ridiculous, but then you realize just how great it is and the depth is there too.

I've Met Jesus

Ok. This is one of the few songs I already knew. It's a ballsy tune. And it deals with religion, which is something I feel uncomfortable with for some reason. But again, it's another fun tune. It doesn't disappoint in the slightest.

Trojan Guitar

This is one of the stand out tracks for me. It has a nice medieval feel and harks back to songs like Ogre Battle in terms of its fantasy and epicness (at least in my humble opinion). I love how the song contrasts from gentle acoustic moments to big guitar riff moments. It's a pretty steady rocker. At this point in the album, I'll be honest, I was thinking to myself where are the ballads? But then it didn't matter anymore. I found my favorite track next.

Cocktails

Oh my God!!! This song sounds like it came straight out of the freaking 1980s!!! And I couldn't help but giggle at the chorus! I can't help but think he enjoyed chanting "cock" over and over again just a little too much. I could listen to this tune all day long and it's easily the best song on the album for me!

Gay in the Eighties

I knew this song pretty damn well before I listened to the album. It's simply a great track with more tongue in cheek lyrics. And funny enough it paints a pretty accurate depiction of the 1980s and it's infatuation with flamboyance in rock music.

Prima Donna

Yawn. This is the first dud and only dud on the album for me. Perhaps it'll be a grower. On the plus side, there are some beautiful, more quieter moments, which is what I was hoping for in a way.

Whichever Way You Want To Give It

Beautiful chorus and heartfelt lyrics. And I can appreciate the slight nod to Permission to Land in the first verse. Another solid rocker, indeed.

Kissing In The Wind

I literally stopped everything I was doing when this track came on. The prominent piano was haunting and the other instrumental sections were spot on and it's one of those great anthem songs that I could see thousands waving their lighters back and forth to. There are so many things going on that it's hard to take in at first. I can hear a classical feel in the piano at certain moments, but then I also feel like I'm hearing some sort of ethnic melody with the guitar, possibly Spanish. It's just one of those songs, like the rest of this album, that demands you listen to it again and again in order to appreciate it fully.

So overall, this album is brilliant. Undoubtedly, it's the best album I've listened to in a long while. My only criticism is that I didn't hear enough ballads (stuff like Holding My Own and Love Is Only a Feeling) which Justin does impeccably well. It just needed more diversity, in my opinion. But the album ROCKS HARD. It's one great riff after another and then still more great riffs keep coming. It's a shame The Darkness weren't around at the time to record some of these tracks. They would have made a great third album.

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby Khashoggi » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:14 pm

Steven wrote:Undoubtedly, it's the best album I've listened to in a long while.

I'm glad you like it! And what a great review you wrote there, it was good to read - mainly because I really do agree with you on every word. You summed it up perfectly. 8-)

Khashoggi
We Will Rock You

Postby Khashoggi » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:43 pm

Okay now...you might think I'm totally crazy and mad, because I was the one who said so clearly that he didn't like 'Hot Cakes' at all...mentioned my deep disappointment. And it was because of my disappointment, that I really NEEDED to give the album more than just one chance. I gave it a little rest, and then put it on again, and again...and again. And I gotta say: something grew. Maybe it was also because I tried to listen to the record on a different level - I tried not to expect it to sound like the debut album again, because I knew it wouldn't. I listened to it almost like I would listen to a new band, giving them a chance. Basically it's probably even much more simple than than - I guess the songs just grew on me. It just needed more time, unlike for example 'The Church Of Rock'n'Roll' from FOXY.
Being perfectly honest: Yes, I have changed my mind quite a lot! I still don't like "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us" - I do like the verses, but the chorus drives me seriously mad (not in a positive way.) "Every Inch Of You" is a bloody great opener, that one grew on me pretty much. I like "With A Woman" pretty much now, as well. I'm sort of falling in love with "Keep Me Hangin' On" now - the verses of that song are perfect, really. I just didn't realize that after the first two try's. I really didn't. "Living Each Day Blind" - great, really really great song! When I first heard "Everybody Have A Good Time", I honestly hated it. Not as much as "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us", but still I just didn't like that one at all. I thought it sounded just stupid and anything but creative - totally changed my mind on that one, cause now I think it's just a fun song that works pretty well, and still has some deeper meanings and a sort of emotional side to it. Some great moments in there, especially the "but tonight, maybe I lost"-part. Love it.
I still love "Forbidden Love", I already liked that song few days ago when I hated all the other tracks. Haha.
Aaaaaand: CONCRETE definitely gets me the most - wow, what a great rocker, innit? Incredible notes from Justin in there, and that one is really so much "The Darkness." I'm not able to actually stand still when I hear that one.
So, what is it that happened to me now? I don't really know. It's been a great thing to feel that those songs we're sounding better and better after more listening. "Hot Cakes" works so much better for me now, and I'm so glad it does. I hated the fact that I didn't seem to like their new album, because I was really excited when it was announced. I'm feeling much better now, and I do enjoy it. They've managed to rock again and I'm glad they're back together. I hope they will stay together for a long time, and give us much more great rock music.
To all the other people who hated it at first, just like I did - give it another try. And another one, and another one. Change your way of thinking, don't expect any new "Black Shucks" or "Givin' Up's" or "Hazel Eyes" - just listen to it, and feel the magic of rock music. I'm sure the songs will grow on you, just like they did it in my case. Have fun!

Khashoggi
We Will Rock You

Postby P.T » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:26 am

Maybe I should give the album another couple of listens. Perhaps my problem now is that I listen to so much of this sort of music, I'm looking for a 'love at first listen' experience and I'm not getting it.

You can tell what sets bands of this style apart by listening to the quality of the vocals; the melody, the strength of the lead vocalist...These songs are practically impossible to sing along to and Justin's voice isn't the strongest. And to be fair, the backing tracks are pretty standard. It's well below the quality of Permission To Land IMO.

P.T
The Show Must Go On

Postby Frank » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:08 am

Khashoggi wrote:Okay now...you might think I'm totally crazy and mad, because I was the one who said so clearly that he didn't like 'Hot Cakes' at all...mentioned my deep disappointment. And it was because of my disappointment, that I really NEEDED to give the album more than just one chance. I gave it a little rest, and then put it on again, and again...and again. And I gotta say: something grew. Maybe it was also because I tried to listen to the record on a different level - I tried not to expect it to sound like the debut album again, because I knew it wouldn't. I listened to it almost like I would listen to a new band, giving them a chance. Basically it's probably even much more simple than than - I guess the songs just grew on me. It just needed more time, unlike for example 'The Church Of Rock'n'Roll' from FOXY.
Being perfectly honest: Yes, I have changed my mind quite a lot! I still don't like "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us" - I do like the verses, but the chorus drives me seriously mad (not in a positive way.) "Every Inch Of You" is a bloody great opener, that one grew on me pretty much. I like "With A Woman" pretty much now, as well. I'm sort of falling in love with "Keep Me Hangin' On" now - the verses of that song are perfect, really. I just didn't realize that after the first two try's. I really didn't. "Living Each Day Blind" - great, really really great song! When I first heard "Everybody Have A Good Time", I honestly hated it. Not as much as "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us", but still I just didn't like that one at all. I thought it sounded just stupid and anything but creative - totally changed my mind on that one, cause now I think it's just a fun song that works pretty well, and still has some deeper meanings and a sort of emotional side to it. Some great moments in there, especially the "but tonight, maybe I lost"-part. Love it.
I still love "Forbidden Love", I already liked that song few days ago when I hated all the other tracks. Haha.
Aaaaaand: CONCRETE definitely gets me the most - wow, what a great rocker, innit? Incredible notes from Justin in there, and that one is really so much "The Darkness." I'm not able to actually stand still when I hear that one.
So, what is it that happened to me now? I don't really know. It's been a great thing to feel that those songs we're sounding better and better after more listening. "Hot Cakes" works so much better for me now, and I'm so glad it does. I hated the fact that I didn't seem to like their new album, because I was really excited when it was announced. I'm feeling much better now, and I do enjoy it. They've managed to rock again and I'm glad they're back together. I hope they will stay together for a long time, and give us much more great rock music.
To all the other people who hated it at first, just like I did - give it another try. And another one, and another one. Change your way of thinking, don't expect any new "Black Shucks" or "Givin' Up's" or "Hazel Eyes" - just listen to it, and feel the magic of rock music. I'm sure the songs will grow on you, just like they did it in my case. Have fun!

I'm so glad to read that you're finally enjoying the album! In a way, this album is much more personal and, for lack of a better word, "deep." In Every Inch of You and especially Nothin's Gonna Stop Us it's obvious to me that they're singing about themselves. And let's face it, their band has had some pretty rough patches, and to a fan like me, it's truly a miracle that they're back together! I remember thinking way back in the days of Permission to Land and especially One Way Ticket that these guys could be, just maybe, the Queen of our generation. Not necessarily "like" Queen, but they would have that vibe of being the "people's" band.

Do you have the bonus track, Pat Pong Ladies? If you haven't already, you MUST check the lyrics out. It's outrageous. ;)

We ventured out of the resort one night
Looking for something to do
We were drawn to the bright red lights
That's where I first saw you

We had heard about the beautiful lady boys
Mother Nature couldn't make up her mind
They looked like guys from the waistband down
And they all looked like girls from behind

Forget about my worries for a while and just pretend
That my life is not a total failure
Find myself some company, find myself a friend
With both sets of genetalia

Pat Pong ladies you make me wanna cry
Pat Pong ladies never fail to satisfy my curious-e-Thai
No word of a lie, best I've ever had

We just couldn't wait to go down again when she stripped and watch you tease
Dancing ladies, ladies with no shame and unique abilities
Well produced, right every cup is for the Mini boot, I guess a little sushi would be nice
Now the streets and food will milk it too, my White Russian, can I get some ice?

I don't wanna be alone staring at the wall
Reflecting on my shortcomings and thoughts
An expression of true love is something magical
Between two or more consenting adults

Pat Pong ladies you make me wanna cry
Pat Pong ladies never fail to satisfy my curious-e-Thai
No word of a lie, best I've ever had

1, 2, 3, 4, nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah etc.

Oh, and this is an excellent place to read about The Darkness. Thinking of joining the forum.

http://www.darklings.co.uk/index.php

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby P.T » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:38 pm

Hmmm. I was there but I cannot see myself!

P.T
The Show Must Go On

Postby Frank » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:28 pm

Thanks for sharing! One of these days I hope to see them live too. I bet it's lots of fun!

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby Khashoggi » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:57 pm

Alright. Finally I got to see them live in concert, last week in Hamburg. And what can I say?
It was one of the most incredible live experiences I've ever had. They were bloody good, bloody loud and bloody entertaining. Justin really got the people eating out of his hands.
I was lucky enough to meet the complete band few hours before the show, and they are such nice people. I was really blown away, because every indivdual band member had enough time to talk for some minutes, and to sign my complete "The Darkness"-collection.
Justin seemed to be incredibly healthy and happy, it was truly a joy to talk to him. I still can't believe how nice they were. After meeting the band and all that, I got over to the venue. Quite nice venue, not too big and a real beautiful place. The support band was called "Ultrasound", and I thought they were utterly boring. It seemed a real long, long time until they finally left the stage. What followed was unbelievable. A "Darkness" gig is an experience full of energy - the sound was amazing, it sounded so huge that I thought the complete venue would collapse at some point.
New songs like "Every Inch Of You" or "Concrete" worked really well, but I obviously enjoyed the "Permission To Land" tracks live. "Black Shuck" or "Get Your Hands Off My Woman" were incredible, I really was in Heaven!
They only played one song from "One Way Ticket To Hell…and Back", which was the title track. I would have loved to hear "Hazel Eyes", but it was all okay. It didn't matter, and didn't really feel like something was missing - mainly because I absolutely LOVE "Permission To Land", and it was superb to hear so many tracks from that album live - in fact I think there's just one song from "Permission To Land" they didn't play live that night - and that would be "Holding My Own".
All in all I can say: My body's still filled with pure excitement, it was an incredible gig and I can only give you the advise: Go and see them! You won't regret it in any way, it's pure rock, pure energy, pure entertainment and pure sex. Give it a try! They rock! I hope they will never ever split up again - they are truly a precious gift to the rock world.
(Here's some video material I took at the gig - I didn't record too much, because I wanted to enjoy the concert as much as possible.)
Attachments
FB.jpg

Khashoggi
We Will Rock You

PreviousNext