Genesis.

A forum to discuss other music, artists, television and film.

Genesis.

Postby Kes » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:33 pm

Have we ever had a thread about them on this incarnation of the board? If they, or indeed WE have, I can't find it. Travesty, I tell ya.

Anyway, somewhere in the mesh, were TWO great bands, and one not quite so good one, at the back end. Four pretty successful solo careers in Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, Mike & The Mechanics, and Steve Hackett.

Favourite album:

from the 5-man line up: Selling England By The Pound (though my good lady LOVES 'The Lamb')
from between Gabriel leaving and Hackett leaving: Trick Of The Tail
from between Hackett leaving, and Collins knocking it on the head: We Can't Dance.

Much as though I really do like ALL their studio albums, I think they were an even better live band, with their Old Medley off the 'Way We Walk' tour being one of my favourite-ever live tracks by ANYONE. Fabulous REALLY creative band, and for SO many albums.

What are your favourites, most despised, etc?
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Re: Genesis.

Postby Brian's Biggest Fan » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:49 pm

I'm glad someone started a thread about Genesis, they're one of my favorite bands.

Favorite albums are:
The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (best Gabriel era album, I think)
A Trick Of The Tail (best album before Hackett left)
Invisible Touch (best album after Hackett left)

There really isn't too much I don't like from the band except Calling all stations. For some reason I don't like Ray Wilson, and I'm not quite sure why.
Image-Ed Alonzo as Max from Saved By The Bell

Brian's Biggest Fan
We Will Rock You

Me with the misfit of magic, Ed Alonzo

Postby Kes » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:14 pm

You don't NEED a reason, to be honest, other than his self appraisal of being a member in Genesis doesn't live up to the average Genesis fan's perspective of him being in Genesis.

Between Gabriel and Collins, they've had about 20 or so successful solo albums, and scores of chart singles. OK, some of them were an instant alternative to bulimia, and not a lot more pleasant than sticking your fingers down your throat, but that's by the by. I'm thinking more Phil here, than Peter, I might add.

Now, what the hell do "I" know Ray Wilson's been on? Err, Inside by Stiltskin, and, err, and, um, err, nope I'm afraid that's it, that's the ONLY thing I can think of, before or since. It was a bit ridiculous, TBH. Paul Rodgers fronting Queen had considerably more going for it than Ray joining Genesis.

What's that thing on their video about trying to organise a Calling All Stations tour in the States, booking 10,000 seat venues, and only selling about 30 tickets in each, and that was WITH promotion?
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:28 pm

I know some people seriously slag off PC, especially after the soppy shit he started doing for Disney, but his work within Genesis tended to restrain that side of him. He was surrounded by other class and seriously respected musicians. In his own right, he's a VERY good and distinctive drummer, and over time, became a VERY good and effective frontman for the band.

As for Gabriel, his first solo album really was a work of sheer genius, so despite Selling England and The Lamb being the band's best work up to that point, I think both him and the band were holding each other back from bigger and better things.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Cool Cat » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:30 pm

I've always liked Selling England By the Pound, Trick of the Tail, Nursery Cryme, And Then There Was Three & Duke, and listen to them quite regular.
Oooh, you're a Cool Cat , Coming on strong with all the chit chat

Cool Cat
Don't Stop Me Now

See Me In The Shadows

Postby Brian's Biggest Fan » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:34 pm

I know people who were slagging Phil off long before he started doing anything with Disney. My cousin has hated him since, I think, before he had his solo career. She was extremely happy when he retired that she made a bunch of snarky comments on Facebook about him (like always hearing his songs on the radio), and when my sister and I said something along the lines of there's always the option of changing stations or actually turning the radio off, she deleted everything she had posted on the topic.

Cool Cat wrote:I've always liked Selling England By the Pound, Trick of the Tail, Nursery Cryme, And Then There Was Three & Duke, and listen to them quite regular.

Some of my favorite Genesis albums there. I also listen to them a lot.
Image-Ed Alonzo as Max from Saved By The Bell

Brian's Biggest Fan
We Will Rock You

Me with the misfit of magic, Ed Alonzo

Postby ToyKoto » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:31 am

Huge fan, here!

To me, Genesis is Genesis - period! I'm a fan of all the incarnations, and that includes Ray Wilson's short-lived tenure. Calling All Stations got a raw deal. For me, it's a better album than We Can't Dance. It such a shame that Mike and Tony saw their arses when it "flopped" and they took their ball home. I mean, it got to number two in the UK chart, behind Radiohead's OK Computer - hardly a flop, then!

Gabriel's era is untouchable and doesn't need me to extol it's virtues here. Collins took a lot of shit for morphing the band into a pop group, but this is completely unfair. Let's not forget that Tony Banks brought In Too Deep to the table pretty much completed, so the blame can hardly be placed at Phil's feet. Besides, if someone believes that "Domino", "The Brazilian", "Driving The Last Spike", "Fading Lights" and "Dreaming While You Sleep" are pop songs, they need their bumps feeling!

Highlights for me are Selling England By The Pound, A Trick Of The Tail and Wind And Wuthering. But, my favourite album, without question, is Duke. A bridge between the complex, epic pieces of their past and the punchier, more streamlined sound that lay ahead. An album so good that "In The Air Tonight" was dropped in the early stages of the sessions. "Duchess", "Man Of Our Times", "Cul-De-Sac" and "Please Don't Ask" are all massive favourites of mine. Hell, even Phil re-recorded "Behind The Lines" for Face Value! Duke is just an absolute joy - a wonderful album!

ToyKoto
Spread Your Wings

Postby Pingu » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:45 am

Listening to 'Nursery Cryme' and 'Foxtrot' was for me like listening to 'Queen' and 'Queen II' for the first time again (although the Genesis stuff needs more listens to really get into)- I was really staggered by the complexity and compositional quality of the work, and having been quite anti 'prog' in my tastes I discovered that actually the Genesis stuff is very much about melody and musical construction and not about endless noodling improvised solos/instrumentals.
I can't deny there's something of the band's 70s work that is quite unique and interesting which simply vanishes in the 80s, despite the various 'long songs' of the latter era. Still, I'm an 'all eras' fan, but less likely to hide 'The Lamb' behind the pot plants than I am 'Invisible Touch' if you know what I mean.
Anyway I think they're quite unfairly (well mostly unfairly) maligned really, even more so than Queen these days. Mr Collins (solo) is the main culprit of course but I prefer to think of him as the hairy powerhouse on 'The Musical Box' or hairy singer of 'Dance on a volcano', and forget about the pastel clad crooner of 'One More Night'... and I wish more modern listeners could do the same.
Last edited by Pingu on Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pingu
We Will Rock You

Postby WeeMann » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:16 am

I wouldn't say I'm a fan as such, but I loved Invisible Touch from the first time I heard it and saw them on tour with Ray Winston. Wasn't bad, but I think he should stick to playing east end rough 'uns.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby Kes » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:42 am

The thing I think I love most about early Genesis, was the instrumental contributions of the two that left (OK, I'm not counting Tony Phillips in that) provided.

Without Gabriel's flute in there, it changed the whole vibe. Without Hackett's usually very subtle figures going on, it changed again.

Since accessing all the subsequent brilliant albums, pretty much as they've happened, I've found myself revisiting the early records several times, and appreciating them all the more on each of those times.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby ToyKoto » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:57 pm

Kes wrote:The thing I think I love most about early Genesis, was the instrumental contributions of the two that left (OK, I'm not counting Tony Phillips in that) provided.

Why discount Anthony Phillips? Mike Rutherford employed his 12-string style wholesale for pretty much every album up to Trick.

ToyKoto
Spread Your Wings

Postby Cool Cat » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:21 pm

ToyKoto wrote:
Highlights for me are Selling England By The Pound, A Trick Of The Tail and Wind And Wuthering. But, my favourite album, without question, is Duke. A bridge between the complex, epic pieces of their past and the punchier, more streamlined sound that lay ahead. An album so good that "In The Air Tonight" was dropped in the early stages of the sessions. "Duchess", "Man Of Our Times", "Cul-De-Sac" and "Please Don't Ask" are all massive favourites of mine. Hell, even Phil re-recorded "Behind The Lines" for Face Value! Duke is just an absolute joy - a wonderful album!

I couldn't agree more :thumbsup:
Oooh, you're a Cool Cat , Coming on strong with all the chit chat

Cool Cat
Don't Stop Me Now

See Me In The Shadows

Postby Hueyqueen » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:24 pm

My favourite is Foxtrot. I do believe that "Supper's Ready" may be one of the finest epic songs in rock music. It definitely even gives some of Pink Floyd's epics a run for their money. Although comparing Floyd and Genesis is apples and oranges.

"Apples And Oranges" is a good Syd era Floyd song. Not an epic but still. (Sorry, that was the written equivalent of rambling)
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Hueyqueen
The Show Must Go On

Postby play it cool » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:15 pm

I loved the early stuff, and even liked the 3-man incarnation up to about Abacab. I didn't like the way they went after that - although hats off to Phil Collins for turning them into a much bigger act than they had been.

I saw them 4 times in all, the most memorable being at a wet and muddy Milton Keynes Bowl in October 1982 (4 months after I'd last been there to see you know who) when they reunited with Peter Gabriel for a one-off fund raiser. Gabriel got carried onstage in a coffin and emerged dressed as Rael from 'The Lamb..' and kicked off with Back In NYC. It was amazing to hear him sing stuff like The Musical Box, Firth of Fifth and Supper's Ready again, and for the encore Steve Hackett joined them for I Know What I Like and The Knife.

I'd seen them at the NEC about two weeks previously and that had been bloody amazing, but no-one there will ever forget the Milton Keynes show. :)

play it cool
We Will Rock You

Postby mikespit » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:51 am

I like Peter Gabriel, and used to like Phil Collins before he slagged off Freddie straight after he died. Now he's a just a prick I cannot stand.

mikespit
Spread Your Wings

Next

Return to Another World