Green Day

A forum to discuss other music, artists, television and film.

Re: Green Day

Postby Sir Didymus » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:01 pm

I used to hate them. Absolutely despite them.

Then I moved in with someone who absolutely adores them.

Begrudgingly, I listened to them more. And more. And more.

Now I'd hardly say I'm a fan, but they've got some corking tunes, and having seen them live a few months ago, they put on one HELL of a show that'd put most so called 'legends' to shame.
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby soxtalon » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:25 pm

I would say that they certainly progressed from their beginnings to have more ambitions than those they emulated. I have respect for them....

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby icy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:57 pm

Love them! :mrgreen:
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:00 am

The Milkman wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:Such a shit, cheap band. Watered down pop/rock punk shite. They disgust me.

I get what you are saying but I think they have some good songs. I remember hating them when Dookie came out. I also hated Blink 182 but some of their stuff is OK now. Very stupid lyrics but catchy pop/punk.

Yes, a few individuals have said a similar thing to me over the years. I confess, I have not heard everything they have done, just some of their early material and well-known stuff.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Sir Didymus » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:15 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
The Milkman wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:Such a shit, cheap band. Watered down pop/rock punk shite. They disgust me.

I get what you are saying but I think they have some good songs. I remember hating them when Dookie came out. I also hated Blink 182 but some of their stuff is OK now. Very stupid lyrics but catchy pop/punk.

Yes, a few individuals have said a similar thing to me over the years. I confess, I have not heard everything they have done, just some of their early material and well-known stuff.

I still find their early material to be pretty dire tbh. Dookie is supposedly a classic but it sounds like it was recorded in an upside down fridge in the middle of a swamp, after being written backwards in crayon.

I find the earliest songs of theirs I like are on Nimrod (things like Hitching A Ride), and Warning is the first album I'd actively listen to now. Uno/Dos/Tre were massively overproduced, but the Demolicious album that has rawer versions of a lot of those tracks is great fun.

Actually, my favourite 'Green Day' record by a mile is the one they released under a pseudonym: The Foxboro Hottubs. It's very much a punky rockabilly style rock-n-roll album, and is so much fun!
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:17 pm

Sir Didymus wrote:
I still find their early material to be pretty dire tbh. Dookie is supposedly a classic but it sounds like it was recorded in an upside down fridge in the middle of a swamp, after being written backwards in crayon.

I find the earliest songs of theirs I like are on Nimrod (things like Hitching A Ride), and Warning is the first album I'd actively listen to now. Uno/Dos/Tre were massively overproduced, but the Demolicious album that has rawer versions of a lot of those tracks is great fun.

Actually, my favourite 'Green Day' record by a mile is the one they released under a pseudonym: The Foxboro Hottubs. It's very much a punky rockabilly style rock-n-roll album, and is so much fun!

I may check out The Foxboro Hottubs if the music is as fun as you say.

The best thing I have seen from Green Day so far is the video put up just recently of all their fans singing Bo Rhap before the start of their concert - they sang their hearts out.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Sir Didymus » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:05 pm

Worth a punt, eh?

phpBB [video]
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby julymorning » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:39 pm

TheHero wrote:
phpBB [video]

LONDON, ENGLAND Green Day Crowd Singing Bohemian Rhapsody - Hyde Park July 1st, 2017

I just saw this circulating on fb today for the first time, thought I'd check on here before posting since this happened almost a month ago.

Have to admit this brought tears to my eyes, even if half the commentors of fb still can't seem to spell Fred's name right.

Given this another listen, if you've already seen this.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

This is probably as good as it gets.

Previous

Return to Another World